NJSigfan

SimplySafe...anyone with experience?

Hello forum family

I'm in the process of replacing our house alarm and wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience with the product and monitoring service.  Adding in some context for everyone, we live in a somewhat mature development (15 years old) with mature tree and landscaping.  House is modest size but has 14 windows on the first floor with 3 entry doors.  We have a dog so we need the motion sensors to be set up correctly so the alarm is not off accidentally.  None of their packaged systems are ideal since they either offer more items than actually needed or not enough.  Looking at a custom setup through them gets pricey even with their holiday sale.  The monitoring service is priced competitively compared to our outgoing service but the huge draw for me is not needing to sign a contract for the monitoring. 

So whats the verdict, are they as good as the advertising?  

Just a small snippet for me. I live in an apartment and installed 3 door sensors. It was iffy at best. There's so much electronic/wifi congestion in an apartment complex that my keypad loses connection with the home base on a consistent basis. To the point, I don't even use it anymore and will try again when we move hopefully in the Spring to a house. When it works it's actually very on point, and from what I've read you turn the movement sensors upside down if you have pets and they work great. Other than that, I wish I had more or better info for you if I was using it in a house. 

1 minute ago, InFamous said:

Just a small snippet for me. I live in an apartment and installed 3 door sensors. It was iffy at best. There's so much electronic/wifi congestion in an apartment complex that my keypad loses connection with the home base on a consistent basis. To the point, I don't even use it anymore and will try again when we move hopefully in the Spring to a house. When it works it's actually very on point, and from what I've read you turn the movement sensors upside down if you have pets and they work great. Other than that, I wish I had more or better info for you if I was using it in a house. 

Kind of a standard thing in apartment areas.  2.4GHz wireless band is SATURATED.  Everything uses that band.  Microwaves, Cordless phones, Wireless Headsets, Wifi Networks, etc.  

Just now, Krdshrk said:

Kind of a standard thing in apartment areas.  2.4GHz wireless band is SATURATED.  Everything uses that band.  Microwaves, Cordless phones, Wireless Headsets, Wifi Networks, etc.  

I really can't wait to get out of here. We paused the home search for the winter unless something comes along we can't pass on. But yes, it'll be nice to actually be able to use the security system I bought when we move. 

I have used it for the past two years, here in FL. I am quite pleased with it.  The only thing is that you have to remember to change the batteries on the sensors (and the main face plate) at least once a year. But the convenience it offers is well worth paying that price. The monitoring service stays on top of things and they even call when I'm testing the system, just to make sure that's all I'm doing.

At some point, I may consider adding some of the video camera options as well, even though I already have a video surveillance system. Either that, or a "Ring" door bell and/or flood light cam.

I went thru this scenario somewhat recently as well. Simplisafe was one of the final contenders, but did not win in the end. While their system has very positive reviews, they are somewhat dated and did not allow integration with many other home-automation vendors. I finally went with Abode, and so far, so good with them. I have my smoke/CO alarms, Nest cameras, some light bulbs and outlets all integrated with the alarm system.

I did not put window sensors on any of my windows, but have motion detectors on both basement and first floor. Door sensors on all doors. Seems to be enough, and I don't currently have any pets.

The one time I forgot to disarm the alarm when I got home, it seemed to be very responsive. I received a phone call within 1 minute of tripping it, got emailed pictures and video of me walking thru the door, as well as every other family members' phone being alerted.

Nest just recently came-out with their own system, but I haven't really looked into it too deeply. Could be another option.

Rich - 

Thank you.  I learned the integration part as well.  Initially I was hoping to integrate part of my existing system with their monitoring service and adding in the video components.  Sadly, their a "closed" system and will can not mixed with other vendors.  Never heard of Abode...I'll look them up

I like my Simplisafe system. The only complaint that I would have is their app is very basic.

Now Nest, Ring, Honeywell and myriad others have comparable systems. I don't know if they call home with internet, though (bad!) or cellular (better) or a combination

Simplisafe (and maybe all the others) use Z-Wave communication which is only 800-900MHz plus there's no standard so each company's interconnect is proprietary - which is why you can't mix and match components. At least, that's how I understood it.

Used Simolisafe for two years.  It’s easiest plug and play system around. 

Only issue I ever had was the OCCASIONAL “base station out of range” thing.   It would fix itself after a little while.

I moved.   But would buy again if I needed a new system  

I have the SimpliSafe system and I'm very happy with it. It was easy to install and set up, and it has worked extremely well for me; I've had it for approximately 18 months. No significant glitches and the monitoring service has been very responsive.

I live in a mid-sized house and have sensors in the basement, on the first/main floor, and on the second floor. The base is discreetly tucked away on the main floor and I haven't had any disconnect problems.

Two suggestions: (1) request a base that has a Verizon chip (T-Mobile is the default) and (2) during initial set-up turn 5g WiFi off if you have it (you can turn it back on after system is up and running).

9 hours ago, Gunsrlegal said:

(2) during initial set-up turn 5g WiFi off if you have it (you can turn it back on after system is up and running).

Wondering why you recommend that?  5G has shorter range but it has a lot less signal interference.

I saw an article that said SimpleSafe showed an updated product line at CES this week and added Ring-like products like a video doorbell and floodlight camera.  I may have to take a long as right now I have a hodge-lodge if Ring/Insteon/other devices that don’t always play well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Wondering why you recommend that?  5G has shorter range but it has a lot less signal interference.

Sorry, I should have clarified. That was meant for the set-up of the cameras. They don't work on 5G and if you have 5G on during set-up the cameras don't connect correctly. However, once connected they "ignore" the 5G. At least this is what a couple of SimpliSafe techs said and it did allow me to properly install the cameras. I got the cameras when they were out in beta, so that issue might have been corrected by now.

8 hours ago, voyager9 said:

I saw an article that said SimpleSafe showed an updated product line at CES this week and added Ring-like products like a video doorbell and floodlight camera.  I may have to take a long as right now I have a hodge-lodge if Ring/Insteon/other devices that don’t always play well. 

I bought the simple safe and sent it back. I’m playing with z wave stuff and finding some sensors are not good. I don’t want the swollen tick of the monitoring service.... and from what I’ve been told, thief is in and out before the service tries you and your friends 3 times, then calls PD/ Fire.

My wife and I get alerts. We need to install some interior cams to verify.

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I bought the simple safe and sent it back. I’m playing with z wave stuff and finding some sensors are not good. I don’t want the swollen tick of the monitoring service.... and from what I’ve been told, thief is in and out before the service tries you and your friends 3 times, then calls PD/ Fire.

My wife and I get alerts. We need to install some interior cams to verify.

I’ve played around with Stringify to pull my Insteon, Ring, Nest stuff together. You can do some interesting stuff. At the end of the day it still takes using a couple different apps which is a Pita... get an alarm from Ring or Strify, open Ring to see one video then go to another to see internal video. 

Just now, voyager9 said:

I’ve played around with Stringify to pull my Insteon, Ring, Nest stuff together. You can do some interesting stuff. At the end of the day it still takes using a couple different apps which is a Pita... get an alarm from Ring or Strify, open Ring to see one video then go to another to see internal video. 

SmartThings I’ve read is easier interface. I’m ( we) are still learning. It’s the future, and it’s all ready been hacked

Just to stay on topic.   If the OP was looking for the easiest fastest plug and play system SS is fine.    Regarding thief’s being in and out before the call I never had that issue.   The call was very very fast.   And if anybody thinks the worth of a system is how fast the PD gets called then I guess you should have a system that has no audible alarm so they theif stays in the house long enough for the PD to get there.    Me, I care more about thie audible alarm as the deterrent not the phone call.  

12 hours ago, Barms said:

Just to stay on topic.   If the OP was looking for the easiest fastest plug and play system SS is fine.    Regarding thief’s being in and out before the call I never had that issue.   The call was very very fast.   And if anybody thinks the worth of a system is how fast the PD gets called then I guess you should have a system that has no audible alarm so they theif stays in the house long enough for the PD to get there.    Me, I care more about thie audible alarm as the deterrent not the phone call.  

Actually the strobes, siren and cameras all come on when the alarm trips. It’s the door sensors that are finicky. 

Strobes is a great idea.    I think people are a little desensitized to audible alarms now.  Almost to the pint of ignoring them. Flashing lights may up the stress level a bit.  Very smart 

Strobes and sirens are almost totally worthless.  I have had a system I am looking to upgrade for 25 years - and no one pays any attention to the sirens or strobes anymore.  I had a problem a few days ago where the strobe was going non stop and no one called no one stopped by, did not get a call or stop by cops either.  People are totally desensitized to these things and the only thing worth anything is a central monitoring system that calls the police and the systems that interact with you via your cell phone.

So how much do these simplysafe systems cost and what is the monitoring cost.  Just yesterday I posted a similar post asking about a system I am considering that interacts with Alarm.com.  I communicates via Verizon network and via wifi as needed.  What I like about this one is that through a $100 module I can convert all my existing wired contacts, PIR, glass breaks stuff and feed it into the new system wirelessly which will save a lot of money on sensors.  Also it communicates on encrypted signals so jammers won't take it all down.  The actual system is  Qolsys IQ Panel 2.  Here is a video about it:

Oh a few other features I like is it will recognize up to 5 bluetooth phones and when you enter once you get within 20 feet of the panel with one of those it will automatically disarm so no need for you to actually do anything.  It will also interact with Alexa which is nice.  The monitoring is fairly cheap too and on a month to month basis for only $18 a month with no extra cost to buy the cellular capability and no separate fees for that.

10 minutes ago, Howard said:

Strobes and sirens are almost totally worthless. 

In more places than just alarm systems, actually. I was a volunteer ambulance driver for 5 years. First of all, no one will hear the siren (or see the lights) until you're within 100ft. of the affected vehicle. And they're so used to it that it is ignored. What i had to do is not lay on the siren constantly, but use it in bursts, right when I was up the "six" of a given vehicle. I had one choice that was a "Star Wars" ray.... which was quite effective... :D

3 hours ago, Barms said:

Strobes is a great idea.    I think people are a little desensitized to audible alarms now.  Almost to the pint of ignoring them. Flashing lights may up the stress level a bit.  Very smart 

Eventually I’d like every light to come on when triggered. But it’s not cheap, and navigating through good and bad products takes time.