ChrisJM981

No water in toilet tank

13 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

As the title reads my toilet tank won't fill. I tried moving the float up and down with no results. Could this be weather related? It is currently -4 degrees out. 

8 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Probably... just started?

For poops/giggles, you check the valve behind it?

If the valve is open, lines froze somewhere. Manually fill tank to flush for now

8 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Toilet downstairs is fine. That bathroom is directly under the one not working. I'll check the valve behind the toilet now.

Grab bucket, turn valve off. Remove supply hose from tank. Insert into bucket. Turn valve on. Agua o no agua?

• Like 2

I'm betting a frozen pipe. During these last few days, I've been making sure to flush with toilets every couple of hours. In addition, I've been leaving the faucets running ever so slightly overnight.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Yes, get towels and wet dry vac. Or Get @Ray Ray to do it.

Isn't he an electrician? 

I noticed the air duct damper in the lower bathroom is stuck shut. I'm going to try and get it open and stick a space heater in the lower bathroom.

11 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Isn't he an electrician? 

I noticed the air duct damper in the lower bathroom is stuck shut. I'm going to try and get it open and stick a space heater in the lower bathroom.

Good luck. Supposed to be 50 on Friday 

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Good luck. Supposed to be 50 on Friday 

46 here on Thursday and not dropping through Sunday. If the heater doesn't work, we'll use the downstairs bathroom. Thanks for the help. 

12 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Does the water work in the same bathrooms sink and shower?

Yes. Just realized that the bathrooms are not directly over one another. I know the pipes for the upstairs bathroom go up in an interior wall. The sink and shower fixtures are closer to the interior of the house, where as the toilet is right under a window, with the water line to the toilet coming out of the floor inches from the exterior wall. My guess is the pipes going up must have T'd off with the sink/shower pipe going towards the warmer interior, and the toilet feed going towards the colder wall.

2 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Take supply off toilet. Get a bucket. Turn off valve. Remove supply. Turn on valve. If water comes out you need fill valve. If no water line is frozen

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Already did that, but not in that order. ;)

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Hmmn, grab cup. Grab funnel. Keep line off tank. Keep bucket.  Open valve.Funnel warm water into line . Repeat.

Is this legit, or going to make things worse? I'm think of people pouring hot water on stuff outside to unfreeze things...

Already did that, but not in that order. [emoji6]
Forgot the bucket? Line to toilet only being frozen is not unusual. I can tell you a way to unfreeze it with something you may have but it isn't safe.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good luck OP!  A friend of mine had this happen.  Called a plumber.  Plumber asked to borrow a hair dryer.  Plumber laid-down on the floor with hair dryer pointed at frozen line.  Was able to unfreeze the line.  Home owner ran to Lowe's & bought an oil filled space heater & left same in that bathroom.  Electric was cheaper than a leaking pipe :) 

Zeke is spot-on with diagnoses.

My first thoughts were, dog drank the water out of the bowl. 

keep some heat on that pipe, it will travel through and defrost it.. hair dryer works great may have to be on it for while. prop it up with something to blow on it..

• Like 1