Sign in to follow this  
medved11

My Furnace Blower Just Quit

The heat is back on (which is a nice thing since the thermostat was reaching 65 degrees).

In the end, the tech put a new blower motor in and everything seems fine. There was a little hiccup when the first replacement motor self destructed when he flipped the switch (blower kicked in and my circuit breaker tripped immediately). It looks like that motor was a factory dud.

He found another tech in my neighborhood that had a spare motor that was not an exact fit for the blower housing on my unit but they got it in there.

All in all I'm very happy with the service despite the long wait for someone to show (which is understandable in this weather). The tech was very friendly and seemed very knowledgable. 

33 minutes ago, medved11 said:

had a spare motor that was not an exact fit for the blower housing on my unit but they got it in there.

Something in the above sentence leads me to believe you may not have reached the end of your saga. Are they coming back with the correct part?

Something in the above sentence leads me to believe you may not have reached the end of your saga. Are they coming back with the correct part?

The issue was that the bracket for the replacement motor didn’t line up properly so they had to drill some holes in the housing to get the motor in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Medved11, good for you, keep warn!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, medved11 said:

The issue was that the bracket for the replacement motor didn’t line up properly so they had to drill some holes in the housing to get the motor in

That's probably ok - they told me the same thing when I had my heart vave replaced.

• Like 1

what handyman said.  I'd put a call in and express thanks for their prompt service, but would really appreciate a follow up visit within the week with the proper part so there are no more unexpected outages.

True - I need to call them anyway because I’ve got a new problem that started once the house warmed back up.

The heat keeps cycling every few minutes even though the thermostat reading is at the set temperature. This problem didn’t exist before the new blower was put in. I thought that most thermostats have a two degree operating range (+/- 1 degrees of the set temp)?

I’m just happy to have the back but I’m wondering if I’ve now set off a cascade of other issues

It's always something.  I have heat pumps with electric aux heat strips.  $500 heating bill this month.

But I'm running a propane furnace and electric heater in the RV as well.

Thank God it hit 60*F here today.

In perspective I'm in SC 3k sq/ft house with 12' ceilings.

So... I play stupid games and win stupid prizes...LOL

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, medved11 said:

I'm having PSEG come back on Friday to try to figure out why the furnace is now short-cycling. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the thermostat more than the furnace at this point but I'm guessing it could be some other sensor gone bad

Sumtin got binked with on the board. Calamity of errors. Thermostat and blower going bad at same time? But someone trouble shooting blower go bad.

if you have heat, good, let them deal with it

Sumtin got binked with on the board. Calamity of errors. Thermostat and blower going bad at same time? But someone trouble shooting blower go bad.
if you have heat, good, let them deal with it

I just pulled the thermostat off the wall and pulled (and replaced) the batteries. It’s been 20 mins since the furnace has cycled, so maybe the thermostat is going bad. The temp in the house is about 2 degrees higher than the current setting, so I guess I have to wait to see what happens when it finally kicks in

11 hours ago, medved11 said:

I just pulled the thermostat off the wall and pulled (and replaced) the batteries. It’s been 20 mins since the furnace has cycled, so maybe the thermostat is going bad. The temp in the house is about 2 degrees higher than the current setting, so I guess I have to wait to see what happens when it finally kicks in

Friend of mine had problems with his AC working weird last summer....after checking *everything* else, two new double A's in the programmable thermostat solved the problem.  The LCD display was still on/working, so we didn't try that first! Hope yours was that simple!

35 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Friend of mine had problems with his AC working weird last summer....after checking *everything* else, two new double A's in the programmable thermostat solved the problem.  The LCD display was still on/working, so we didn't try that first! Hope yours was that simple!

Based on the furnace's performance last night, it seems like the battery swap may have resolved the short cycling problem. The furnace did not seem to be constantly cycling like it was prior to the battery swap, but it still seems like it is cycling more than it should be. I'll have the PSEG tech look at it on Friday to see if he can figure out what's going on but I'm going to stop by Home Depot tonight and grab a new thermostat. The current one is about 10 years old and could probably use replacing