nondisclosure

outside / cold shooting

I wouldn't go out in near zero temps unless you had.to.  Does not sound like an enjoyable time.  This weekend supposed to be in the 50's.  That would be a much, much, MUCH better time to go.

As far as your concerns about shooting in extreme cold, I would do some Google research.  Probably depends on what you are shooting (revolvers, semi auto hand guns, semi rifles, bolt rifles etc). I would be more concerned with frost bite on the human body!

I have shot when it was in the teens and twenties. I recall the grease on my Garand wasn' frozen, but it wasn't soft and the operating rod definitely was moving back and forth slower and caused an occasional jam. I also tried a Mauser that shot great in warmer weather but had light strikes on the primer and wouldn't fire reliably. I believe in extreme cold you want a little less lubrication, or something made specifically made for cold weather.

I was outside for about 6 hours total on Saturday hunting deer. My 25 year old Remington 870 went bang when I pulled the trigger on a doe near the end of the day.  If you are going to be outside you want layers of lightweight breathable material. Polypropylene, thinsulate, goretex and such. Layers and layers of heavy cotton will hold in heat, but can also make you sweat and will hold in moisture and make you colder.

Theoretically the pressure in your ammo could go down a bit and the grease in your guns could thicken both of which might cause malfunctions but the last time I was out in this weather I quit before my guns did.

I'm not in any hurry to rush back out to do it again, either

13 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Theoretically the pressure in your ammo could go down a bit and the grease in your guns could thicken both of which might cause malfunctions but the last time I was out in this weather I quit before my guns did.

I'm not in any hurry to rush back out to do it again, either

Actually some powders react inversely to temperature and the pressure goes up as it gets colder.

I layer up with thermals and multiple sweatshirts when I go outdoor shooting in the 40s and 50s. I’m pretty sure I’d freeze to death if I went in this weather. Then there’s the whole needing to dig a hole to put up my target thing...that usually doesn’t work so well when the ground is frozen solid. lol

I’m really hoping for some better temps soon...it’s either been too cold or I’ve been too sick to try out the new trigger in my AR. Need to shoot it at least once before new AWB laws make it illegal. 

Thank you for the replies. I've decided to choose a warmer day. I was curious about the functions in low temps and glad someone addressed it. I know metals can severely expand and contract with these temps and was wondering if there was a list of do's and don'ts for this sub freezing weather.  These patches of brutally fridgid temps aren't fun.

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on Garands.  Doesn't thicken up in cold.

Or use dry silicone lube in extreme cold. You can even run them dry no real  harm done.  I use AMSOIL MP Metal Protector in really cold weather.

I'll admit it, I'm a fair weather shooter.  I head to an indoor range, and don't come out until I see my shadow, sometime in March.  If it gets up to the high 30's or above, I might do a little trap and skeet, but no way I'm sitting at a bench outdoors when it's in the 20's.  

I was out saturday. about an hour outside 30 minutes inside

Pros: your shooting and there's not a line

Cons: you lose most of your brass if there's snow, Its cold,

Glove shooting has never worked for me so i glove up while not shooting and load mags in the truck.

Your guns will be just fine in the cold weather...

Unless you have some sort of medical condition, are elderly/infant, there's no reason you can't spend a couple of hours outside on a winter day with the right clothes...Yes, even a very cold one.

I'm shocked that this is a topic, no offense.