gleninjersey

FML....SCHOOL ME ON HOT WATER HEATERS / INSTANT HOT WATER

PVC gas piping - never seen that before.  Hey at least they used primer to get a good joint :)  It could have been worse - just pushed the piping together with no glue at all.  Ha Ha !!!

First time I've seen anyone dumb enough to do something like that. Homeowner or Jack of All Trades?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Probably an Illegal invader, or a homeowner. It's from a plumbing group I belong too. I don't know the entire back story. It's just straight up hackery.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What would you file that under? Lol
I would file that under: leave the country, before they find the bodies.

Probably an Illegal invader, or a homeowner. It's from a plumbing group I belong too. I don't know the entire back story. It's just straight up hackery.

Hackery is an understatement. Your probably right about the illegal. Getting tired of these towns not cracking down on all unlicensed contractors. They have the homeowners pull the permits when doing major work. The best is when the homeowners bitch they got screwed when the workmanship sucks or something goes wrong. I usually charge double to fix their messes because homeowners know better than to hire unlicensed individuals, but they think they are slick and are going to save money. In the long run they usually don't.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 7:56 PM, gleninjersey said:

Well, looks like my hot water heater is going.  Appears to be slowly leaking from base.  Wife went downstairs and called up, "Honey, there's water on the floor in the basement!".

It's in about a 3 foot circumference around hwh.  I soaked it up with rags.  Can't pull guts out to look inside as it's running right now (one of my kids had started showering and dishwasher recently ran).  

It's about 13 years old.  Could anything else cause what looks rather obviously like a failing hot water heater?  Could it be weather related?  No leaks from pipes that I can see.

Assuming it's failing, what are some good, reliable brands for hot water heaters?  Is it worth it to look at tank-less / instant hot water heaters?

I've told wife we should probably drain it and turn it off after shower stops running and then stay at her mother's house for few days.  That way we can decide what to get, who to get it from and not be gouged by plumbers running around still fixing frozen pipes.

FML!  Thank you advance for your knowledge and insight.

Current WATER HEATER is / was an A.O. Smith "Power House Power Shot - Power Vent Water Heater".  It's gas powered.

I currently ( today) hate you with the fire and fury of 1 thousand super nova’s! Mine jus went. And somehow, someway, it’s your fault!

But I have an RV.. ha!

2 is one, 1 is none.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DeerSlayer said:

Make sure you have that tank less serviced every year.

I will do it myself.

17 minutes ago, DeerSlayer said:

Solder? What's that?

2539ccb3da5b4ff4ef4cae8e1ec0e57a.jpg

Ya well, ain’t my day job and those fitting and that tool is pricey

The brand I use are made in Germany. Tell me about it. But I don't pay for them my customers do. The time savings more than makes up for the slightly higher price in material though. I charge hourly.

The brand I use are made in Germany. Tell me about it. But I don't pay for them my customers do. The time savings more than makes up for the slightly higher price in material though. I charge hourly.

We also pass it along to customers, but we don’t use them unless it is warranted. We keep two tools in the shop, and only three of our technicians have them on their truck (like the one pictured; others are the large and small gun-like tools). I’ve watched the video at Ferguson comparing the machine to solder, but unless it is an emergency or dealing with constant water, solder is more economic currently. When the tools/fittings come down more, then it will be different.

When we first got into them for smaller stuff, I had to install a filter at my parents house (well casing was going bad, and needed to keep stuff from going into the conditioning system). Didn’t really want to do it, as I’m not a fan of soldering (one of our guys was teaching me a few years back, lit torch with a lighter, which blew up in my face because he tossed it on top of the heater I was soldering in; I do it, just rather not). Had one of the guys come in that put in like 10 different 1.25” ProPress fittings. My boss never charges family, but I pulled the guy aside and said he probably used like $200+ in parts. Looked at me and said that at least they won’t ask him to do stuff like that again...

I know that we made the money back on the larger tool within the third or fourth 2” line that blew... and the accessories (larger clamps, AC adapter, cast-cutter) were paid for quickly after doing stuff over 2”.
  • Like 1

You young guys and your fancy tools. I tend to bend tubing and have as little fittings and solder joints as possible [emoji16]

We can't bend tubing anymore, unless it's type L-bt or M-bt. Can't even find it these days.

We also pass it along to customers, but we don’t use them unless it is warranted. We keep two tools in the shop, and only three of our technicians have them on their truck (like the one pictured; others are the large and small gun-like tools). I’ve watched the video at Ferguson comparing the machine to solder, but unless it is an emergency or dealing with constant water, solder is more economic currently. When the tools/fittings come down more, then it will be different.

When we first got into them for smaller stuff, I had to install a filter at my parents house (well casing was going bad, and needed to keep stuff from going into the conditioning system). Didn’t really want to do it, as I’m not a fan of soldering (one of our guys was teaching me a few years back, lit torch with a lighter, which blew up in my face because he tossed it on top of the heater I was soldering in; I do it, just rather not). Had one of the guys come in that put in like 10 different 1.25” ProPress fittings. My boss never charges family, but I pulled the guy aside and said he probably used like $200+ in parts. Looked at me and said that at least they won’t ask him to do stuff like that again...

I know that we made the money back on the larger tool within the third or fourth 2” line that blew... and the accessories (larger clamps, AC adapter, cast-cutter) were paid for quickly after doing stuff over 2”.
I have the jaws for copper up to 4", Black Iron jaws up to 2", Viega Pex jaws to 1", and Parker zoom lock jaws for doing refrigeration. Can't remember the last time I touched my B-tank. Or my Ridgid 300 threader. All dust collectors now. Every boiler install I press everything, gas pipes, and steam I press too. I've evolved with the trade I guess. None of this stuff existed when I was an apprentice 20 years ago.

• Like 2

My bad, haha.

My father and i sell home improvement goods.. faucets, light fixtures, bathroom exhaust fans, sinks, tools, vanities, etc.

Primarily faucets nowadays. 90% is Home Depot returns/overstock/cancelled special orders. All new stuff though, other than some junk returns we have gotten ourself that we sell on eBay and what not.

If ya ever need anything, ask me first. Ya never know what i might have.. unfortunately, cant just order in special orders but if its something i have gotten my hands on or whatever ill hook you up.

Got like 6 tankless units in in the last month. Oh, have the matching pvc vent kits and a few valve sets too me thinks. Lol