gleninjersey

FML....SCHOOL ME ON HOT WATER HEATERS / INSTANT HOT WATER

Well, looks like my hot water heater is going.  Appears to be slowly leaking from base.  Wife went downstairs and called up, "Honey, there's water on the floor in the basement!".

It's in about a 3 foot circumference around hwh.  I soaked it up with rags.  Can't pull guts out to look inside as it's running right now (one of my kids had started showering and dishwasher recently ran).  

It's about 13 years old.  Could anything else cause what looks rather obviously like a failing hot water heater?  Could it be weather related?  No leaks from pipes that I can see.

Assuming it's failing, what are some good, reliable brands for hot water heaters?  Is it worth it to look at tank-less / instant hot water heaters?

I've told wife we should probably drain it and turn it off after shower stops running and then stay at her mother's house for few days.  That way we can decide what to get, who to get it from and not be gouged by plumbers running around still fixing frozen pipes.

FML!  Thank you advance for your knowledge and insight.

Current WATER HEATER is / was an A.O. Smith "Power House Power Shot - Power Vent Water Heater".  It's gas powered.

8 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Well, looks like my hot water heater is going.  Appears to be slowly leaking from base.  Wife went downstairs and called up, "Honey, there's water on the floor in the basement!".

It's in about a 3 foot circumference around hwh.  I soaked it up with rags.  Can't pull guts out to look inside as it's running right now (one of my kids had started showering and dishwasher recently ran).  

It's about 13 years old.  Could anything else cause what looks rather obviously like a failing hot water heater?  Could it be weather related?  No leaks from pipes that I can see.

Assuming it's failing, what are some good, reliable brands for hot water heaters?  Is it worth it to look at tank-less / instant hot water heaters?

I've told wife we should probably drain it and turn it off after shower stops running and then stay at her mother's house for few days.  That way we can decide what to get, who to get it from and not be gouged by plumbers running around still fixing frozen pipes.

Check the pressure relief valve. 

• Like 1

13 years on a water heater (the term ‘hot water heater’ drives me crazy...if the water is already hot....it’s a water heater, damn it! :D) is running on borrowed time. 

Replace that puppy ASAP. 

My buddy just experienced a catastrophic failure of his water heater while he was out of town. HUGE mess in his basement. 

After our friend’s experience, we replaced ours with a 50 gal. Bradford White unit. I am told through a few plumber friends they are the best water heaters on the market. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Well, it’s Toast but still working....

I’d go on demand as a replacement... but that’s jus me

• Like 1

13 years leaking from the bottom it's toast. The others are correct. It is a water heater common abbreviation w/h. No such thing as hwh what you have probably seen is hwb.

Tankless water heater options if you have gas Noritz is the original. Navien usually doesn't require you to upgrade gas piping. AO Smith & Bradford White (best traditional water heaters) make tankless now as well. Avoid Rheem or anything in the box stores IMO. I'm also not a fan of Rennai.

How many bathrooms in the house? Is there a Soaking or Jetted Tub?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BobA said:

This is a 13yr old water heater leaking from the bottom?

It appears so.  After mopping up water with rags about hour ago I Don't see any more water on floor.  

I removed face plate and am surprised to see not much water inside where "guts" of hwh are.

Average price these days for A typical 50gal replacement is $1500.  

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They're slated to last 7-10 years. Beyond that it's a ticking time bomb.

$1,500 for standard vent 50 gas? Including cost of permits?

• Like 1

Gas.  Current model is an A.O. Smith "Power House Power Shot - Power Vent Water Heater" .....gee, I guess Displaced Texan is correct.  [emoji4]

AO Smith is just about equal to Bradford White. Full Disclosure I have AO Smith in my house, but recommend Bradford White. My AO Smith Power Vent has done some funky things over the years. When it goes I will replace with tankless. 

Tankless isn't that much more than Power Vent. It sounds like you are a candidate for one. Tankless does not mean water will be hot faster at your showerhead.

$1,500 for standard vent 50 gas? Including cost of permits?

Yep and that's average. I've heard guys charging $2100 for a natural draft, nat/gas 50. Power vents are even more. 3 years ago we were getting $900-1000. The prices on heaters has skyrocketed since the EPA won their battle, and forced the manufacturers to change their designs to be more efficient. Tankless units are going for around $3K installed.

9 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Pm inbound 

Gracias amigo.  Any help / insight is appreciated.  

39 minutes ago, DeerSlayer said:

Average price these days for A typical 50gal replacement is $1500.

They're slated to last 7-10 years. Beyond that it's a ticking time bomb.

Hence the "FML"....and I WAS just getting ready to buy a shottie...really.

• Like 1

Yep and that's average. I've heard guys charging $2100 for a natural draft, nat/gas 50. Power vents are even more. 3 years ago we were getting $900-1000. The prices on heaters has skyrocketed since the EPA won their battle, and forced the manufacturers to change their designs to be more efficient. Tankless units are going for around $3K installed.  Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm raising my prices. 50 gallon atmospheric vent gas Bradford White I am at $1,250 without permits. In my area permits run from $9-$90 so I don't include them in price. Tankless my price is the same as yours $3,000 and up. Power Vent 50 gallon is $2,000 and up.   

Had to edit tankless price. Sorry for confusion.

• Like 2

I'm raising my prices. 50 gallon atmospheric vent gas Bradford White I am at $1,250 without permits in my area they run from $9-$90. Tankless my price is the same.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tank less replacement maybe. But not an initial. Have to run vent, air intake, usually increase the gas line from 1/2" to 3/4" and they need power, so bring on the electrician too. Plus they need yearly maintenance. I'm not a fan of them personally. I'll put one in if they want it. But I don't push them.

• Like 1

Tank less replacement maybe. But not an initial. Have to run vent, air intake, usually increase the gas line from 1/2" to 3/4" and they need power, so bring on the electrician too. Plus they need yearly maintenance. I'm not a fan of them personally. I'll put one in if they want it. But I don't push them.  Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk   

Not same as standard. Same as your pricing. Around $3,000 not including electric and permits. That is for Navien which is also not increasing gas pipe size. Noritz are closer to $4,500. 

Yearly maintenance is a must on tankless. However it is easy if installed correctly. I have yet to replace one other than Bosch and because customer wanted to upgrade what builder put in. Speaking of I have a hardly used Noritz for $400.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DeerSlayer said:

Should have done it 3 years ago when the price was $500 less...

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I remember that conversation.  Had zero money then.  Have just over zero money now.  After new WATER HEATER back to zero money......hence FML.....

• Like 1

if you plan on staying in the home, a tankless is great... if you're on your way out in the next few years, put in an replacement tank. It's really not a difficult job, find a friend who will help you lug it down into the basement and learn to sweat in pipe. 

I installed a Navien myself a few years back and it's been wonderful. Hot water until the cows come home. 

• Like 2