ShoreDweller

NJ State Law and Shipping Long Guns

Hello

I read that ATF rules and federal law allow a firearms owner to mail long guns he/she already (legally purchased in another state) owns to him/herself via USPS. I am planning on moving to NJ. Are there any state laws or regulations that would bar mailing to NJ legal long guns to the new residence?

Can you move to an adjacent state and commute?   Gun laws are bad for us now, and with the new governor coming in, they’re about to get worse

if the guns are legal here, shipping them to yourself is legal,  to the best of my knowledge.   You can’t address them to anyone else.  

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Can you move to an adjacent state and commute?   Gun laws are bad for us now, and with the new governor coming in, they’re about to get worse

if the guns are legal here, shipping them to yourself is legal,  to the best of my knowledge.   You can’t address them to anyone else.  

not to mention the utterly ridiculous taxes, and the soon to be illegal sanctuary.

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

Be aware, the shipper will only ship to a dealer, contrary to the law. So keep your mouth shut.

It depends on the shipper, and even the individuals you are dealing with.  Some will let you ship guns to yourself.  Some won’t (even if you go in with copies of the relevant laws and shipper policies) so you have to be prepared for that.    

Are you referring to being pulled over in NJ or another state on the way here? 

Driving to your residence is one of the "exceptions" so you wouldn't even need to prove you are moving necessarily. I wouldn't ever offer up that there are guns in the car regardless tho. Keep them locked and unloaded in the trunk and you are good to go. 

1 minute ago, shooter28 said:

Are you referring to being pulled over in NJ or another state on the way here? 

Driving to your residence is one of the "exceptions" so you wouldn't even need to prove you are moving necessarily. I wouldn't ever offer up that there are guns in the car regardless tho. Keep them locked and unloaded in the trunk and you are good to go. 

In NJ moving things to the new residence. And yes, they'd be locked and unloaded and in the trunk. From the trooper's perspective though, I would assume he/she wouldn't automatically take someone solely on their word without some corroboration. 

In NJ moving things to the new residence. And yes, they'd be locked and unloaded and in the trunk. From the trooper's perspective though, I would assume he/she wouldn't automatically take someone solely on their word without some corroboration. 
Do you get stopped often and your trunk searched?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Do you get stopped often and your trunk searched?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

My last traffic ticket was in 2004. Never had my trunk searched. I'm a careful driver.....but Murphy's Law combined with NJ's strict laws makes me err on the side of extreme caution.

Thanks for the responses. Again, I would much rather be sure of how things work in the state and then comply appropriately rather than make assumptions.

Plus you never know when something out of the ordinary can happen that makes a simple trip a mess. I had an alternator go out on me on the Los Angeles 101 Freeway once. (During morning rush hour AND on the exit ramp no less)