Bully

Marlin!

46 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

AR for home defense is not an optimal choice by a long stretch

You sir, are mistaken.  With proper ammo (Soft point, Hollow Point, etc.), .223/5.56 is an excellent choice for inside the home.  The AR is easy to manipulate and shoot, with low recoil.  The projectiles will go through interior walls less than pistol calibers.  http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

You sir, are mistaken.  With proper ammo (Soft point, Hollow Point, etc.), .223/5.56 is an excellent choice for inside the home.  The AR is easy to manipulate and shoot, with low recoil.  The projectiles will go through interior walls less than pistol calibers.  http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

No

The AR is absolutely a viable tool for HD. That’s my primary HD gun.

Superior ballistics

Better chance of hitting what I want

Projectiles loose energy faster after coming into contact with typical US building construction

QLvbcaT.jpg

SV4MYan.jpg

CdPShFl.jpg

KJ24VlX.jpg

jStec6u.jpg

Your safe backstop is your threat - the bad guy. If you miss, it doesn’t matter what it is, it will penetrate interior and exterior walls. What matters is how fast is loses velocity and mass.

.223/5.56 loses energy and mass faster that pistol or shotgun rounds so your missed lose the ability to seriously injure or kill sooner.

Combine better terminal effects for hits, worse terminal effects for misses, and it’s an easier weapon to shoot and get hits on target. This all points to the AR as a gun that is absolutely appropriate for HD, and in my opinion the superior choice.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bully said:

But the Marlin being re-released in .357 is awesome.

It would be awesome if the mods could help keep threads on track as opposed to contributing to the problem.

Yes it is awesome. I agree and like I said, I want one.

This is a conversation, like all conversations it is organic. It will wander. Such is life...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bully said:

But the Marlin being re-released in .357 is awesome.

It would be awesome if the mods could help keep threads on track as opposed to contributing to the problem.

Threads wander.  As long as it's not completely gone off the deep end, we let it go.  I still do like the look of this rifle and will research it further.  Cuz yanno.  Dinosaurs.

To me, a lever gun makes no sense for home defense.  If you want to use a manually operated gun, the 12 gauge pump is faster to reload, easier to work and has far better ballistics.  They are also more reliable.

A handgun is better than a lever gun.

6 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

To me, a lever gun makes no sense for home defense.  If you want to use a manually operated gun, the 12 gauge pump is faster to reload, easier to work and has far better ballistics.  They are also more reliable.

A handgun is better than a lever gun.

You do realize that there are other uses for guns besides home defence right?

I purchased a VERY gently pre-owned original Marlin (manufactured in 1970s).  It was a safe queen.  Part of an estate sale one of my local gun stores purchased.  They told me, and I'm not certain I believe this part, that the owner handled all his firearms while wearing gloves.  It's all wood and steel.  Nothing synthetic on it.  Classic looking. One of my favorite firearms.