Sign in to follow this  
Big Mack

Questions for sig p220 owners.

So to make a long story short I had my home alarm go off at 330 the other day. It jarred us out of a deep sleep, grabbed my sig and went through the house. It ended up being nothing (sensor went bad). I realized after I had standard FMJ loaded from the range, so I went out to get some better home defense stuff, not taking a chance with my wife and two young kids lives. I bought hornady 230gr XTP+P JHP. The rounds will not fit into the sig magazine. It's almost like it's cut out to only fit FMJ. Have any other sig owners had this issue before? 

On 1/12/2018 at 8:18 AM, Big Mack said:

I bought hornady 230gr XTP+P JHP. The rounds will not fit into the sig magazine. 

In what way? Too long? Won't feed? Slide won't lock back? What magazines are you using - actual manufacturer, not just "Sig". Mecgar? ACT? some other brand? 7-round? 8-round? 10-round?

I have an older P220R (folded slide) and I have used ball, Federal EFMJ (200 gr) and Gold Dot HP (230 gr), all have functioned as intended. I would think that if this were a common problem it would be all over the Internet.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

T Bill is correct. This is a known issue with Hornady 230gr XTP ammo. I thought the Mec Gar mags were an option that did work with that ammo in the P220. The video below explains it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BSX9ilb88

I have used FMJ, LSWC, Jacketed flat point and jacketed hollow points in my P220 without any particular issues so I’d say T Bill and Johnny B are probably right on it being specific to the Hornady XTP...

I was a little wary about LSWC but mine works perfectly fine with them though others have reported issues. 

But, that’s a perfect example of why you should practice with the ammo you are planning to use for defense. We all need that reminder every now and then.

Thanks

-Jim

On 1/12/2018 at 8:18 AM, Big Mack said:

So to make a long story short I had my home alarm go off at 330 the other day. It jarred us out of a deep sleep, grabbed my sig and went through the house. It ended up being nothing (sensor went bad). I realized after I had standard FMJ loaded from the range, so I went out to get some better home defense stuff, not taking a chance with my wife and two young kids lives. I bought hornady 230gr XTP+P JHP. The rounds will not fit into the sig magazine. It's almost like it's cut out to only fit FMJ. Have any other sig owners had this issue before? 

Have you tried other hp brands ?

The only issue i was having was loading the mag, I'm using the factory mags. I actually found the hornady XTP is 1mm longer then traditional HPs so I'll have to try a different ammo. They do fit in my 1911 mags so I guess I have some expensive range ammo now.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:17 PM, Hairless_Ape said:

I have a newer P220 and had the same issue with one of my mags being difficult to load. It also had feed issues when loaded to 8 rounds. The first round would nose dive. The spring was too stiff, just had to stretch it a few times. I've had no trouble with it since.

Yeah I hear that! Mine were really stiff as well. I left them loaded at all times to try and break in the spring, which definitely helped a bit. The XTPs I can force down past the lip but they don't feed back up into position due to the length. I'm going to try different HPs. Apparently sig makes there own HPs so I might give them a shot.

19 minutes ago, Big Mack said:

Yeah I hear that! Mine were really stiff as well. I left them loaded at all times to try and break in the spring, which definitely helped a bit. The XTPs I can force down past the lip but they don't feed back up into position due to the length. I'm going to try different HPs. Apparently sig makes there own HPs so I might give them a shot.

The only jhp I've run through it is Hornady FTX 185gr and Federal HST 230gr. Both fed without issue.