Melancholia

Folding Pistol Brace on a Rifle?

If I had a CZ Scorpion Carbine (rifle version) with a pinned muzzle brake, would I be able to add a folding pistol stabilizing brace such as the SBTEVO without running afoul of NJ's wonderful laws?

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sbtevo/

I can't seem to find any restrictions regarding pistol braces in Jersey (or if they just consider them as a stock anyway) from my brief googling. The rifle is listed as 26" when the factory stock is folded if OAL is an issue.

If I had a CZ Scorpion Carbine (rifle version) with a pinned muzzle brake, would I be able to add a folding pistol stabilizing brace such as the SBTEVO without running afoul of NJ's wonderful laws?
I can't seem to find any restrictions regarding pistol braces in Jersey (or if they just consider them as a stock anyway) from my brief googling. The rifle is listed as 26" when the factory stock is folded if OAL is an issue.
Hmmm.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

Interesting question.
Waiting on [mention=1314]PK90[/mention]
Not quite the answer you were looking for.

The real question, is a rifle without a stock ( which is basically what your doing) legal in New Jersey.  Since a brace isn't a stock, the rifle in question is wearing no stock.

A rifle is designed to be fired from the shoulder, so without a stock or with an arm brace, it would still be a rifle. You may need to get an ATF written opinion first, then approach the NJAG.

15 hours ago, PK90 said:

A rifle is designed to be fired from the shoulder, so without a stock or with an arm brace, it would still be a rifle. You may need to get an ATF written opinion first, then approach the NJAG.

Or just order it.  Move along, nothing to see here.

15 hours ago, PK90 said:

I don't think I would actually try and go for it since it seems like it would raise a lot of eyebrows at then range, regardless of legality haha. I was just researching if it was possible since the NJSP letter on the shockwave seemed to have opened up a lot of vague gray area revolving around pistol braces and "firearm" stuff in Jersey.

20 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

The real question, is a rifle without a stock ( which is basically what your doing) legal in New Jersey.  Since a brace isn't a stock, the rifle in question is wearing no stock.

Sure it is. Think of a WASR under-folder with the stick pinned folded under. As far as I know those are good to go in NJ...

A lot of these decisions for the NFA/Federal loopholes hinge on how the firearm was built initially. For example, the Shockwave/Tac-14 is legal because it never had a shoulder stock on it, and was never, ever, classified as a “Shotgun”. On the other hand, if you bought a 14” barrel and a pistol grip, you can’t legally turn your existing shotgun into a Shockwave/Tac-14 without violating both Federal (unless you file SBR paperwork with the ATF - which won’t matter for us because NJ prohibits all SBRs) and State short barrel shotgun laws.

Also, the “Firearm” definition is a Federal Law that N.J. doesn't have an exception to - so therefore the Fed law is what must be followed. If N.J. had a law that said 14” smoothbore firearms with pistol grips were illegal, than the Tac-14/Shockwave would be a no-go here. 

In fact, there are a few states that we consider to be more 2A friendly and have better firearm laws than us that currently prohibit the Tac-14/Shockwave. Some states like Texas, recently passed laws lifting the ban. Some states, like Oregon allegedly, are thinking about passing legislation creating a ban on these firearms.

But this is something different...

Being as your Scorpion started as a “Rifle” I would say that putting a folding pistol brace on it now would not place it in the same federal category as a Firearm, or AOW, or make it a pistol by any definition. Further, it would violate the NJ definition of either an assault pistol or an assault rifle.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 8:20 PM, Melancholia said:

My take:  since this started as a rifle and the brace is taking the place of a stock, the brace is acting as a stock.  Since it's foldable, it would violate the assault weapons law in PRNJ.  

I would be prepared for a drawn out legal battle if you take it to the range.