vm27

who makes the best gas piston ar kit?

hello guys , so i finally decided to finish building my ar. i have about $1800 in already. I am  trying to built the best  ar I can possibly built. the only thing i am  missing is the gas piston kit and a parts kit. who do think  makes the BEST gas piston kit { im not rich but, i dont really care about how much its at this point }. 20 inch barrel. looking for accuracy but i refuse to go with a DI. any link will be appreciated.  

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Why are you refusing to go DI?

Why do you think making it a piston gun will make it the “best”?

to be honest  i just feel like the gun gets way to dirty. feel free to school me on this topic . do you think it makes a big difference in accuracy ? 

I think DI is the way to go.

I think adding a piston to an AR does nothing but add complexity, cost, and headaches to an ordinarily simple and robust system.

If you want to go piston, get a different platform.

I don’t think adding a piston will do anything for precision. 

You are $1800 in - that’s quite an investment. 

Do you have a parts list?

23 minutes ago, vm27 said:

hello guys , so i finally decided to finish building my ar. i have about $1800 in already. I am  trying to built the best  ar I can possibly built. the only thing i am  missing is the gas piston kit and a parts kit. who do think  makes the BEST gas piston kit { im not rich but, i dont really care about how much its at this point }. 20 inch barrel. looking for accuracy but i refuse to go with a DI. any link will be appreciated.  

$ 1,800.00 for an AR type rifle??????????

Egad - sorry but that makes not sense to me - spend 700 on the rifle use 1100 for carbine classes....

MY .02 if you need piston by a fal type or ak type....  the rifle was designed to be DI as @High Exposure has said and adding a piston will do absolulely zero for accuracy..- make sure you barrel nut is to the right spec in terms of torque to ensure accuracy...  :)

And that of the manufacturing of the barrel -

• Like 1

Gas piston works, but I’d be more strict for it if you had a specific reason for it to be beneficial... like running a suppressor on the gun.

My first 5.56mm upper was a Adams Arms kit, which was assembled by Spikes. If you need to go piston, the AA kit is probably the way to go. When larger name companies were putting out piston systems, a handful went with AA.

My first D/I was actually a .45 ACP. But for my more accurate 18” AR, I went D/I. You aren’t going to notice a difference in accuracy with either, judging you get a good barrel. Cleaning... while that was my original reason for going piston, you aren’t considering the piston at the gas block. That is definitely something to worry about cleaning.

Really, to go out of your way to not go D/I, I’m not really seeing a good reason with what was said thus far. And this is someone that went piston from Jump Street, and still has it on his main AR. I just don’t feel like changing anything out on it, when it works fine.

Thanks, it makes a lot of sense. If I decide to go with the D/I what would be the best kit? Remember I do not have anything except for the barrel. Can you guys please let me know exactly what I need and possible links so I can check them out! Feel free to send me a PM 

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

Gas piston works, but I’d be more strict for it if you had a specific reason for it to be beneficial... like running a suppressor on the gun.

My first 5.56mm upper was a Adams Arms kit, which was assembled by Spikes. If you need to go piston, the AA kit is probably the way to go. When larger name companies were putting out piston systems, a handful went with AA.

My first D/I was actually a .45 ACP. But for my more accurate 18” AR, I went D/I. You aren’t going to notice a difference in accuracy with either, judging you get a good barrel. Cleaning... while that was my original reason for going piston, you aren’t considering the piston at the gas block. That is definitely something to worry about cleaning.

Really, to go out of your way to not go D/I, I’m not really seeing a good reason with what was said thus far. And this is someone that went piston from Jump Street, and still has it on his main AR. I just don’t feel like changing anything out on it, when it works fine.

Thanks 

Unless you’re planning on a suppressed SBR (ain’t happening in NJ), I’d skip the piston. It’s not really going to do anything for you other than add complexity and weight. 

@High Exposureis the expert, I’d listen to him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Unless you’re planning on a suppressed SBR (ain’t happening in NJ), I’d skip the piston. It’s not really going to do anything for you other than add complexity and weight. 

@High Exposureis the expert, I’d listen to him. 

I agree @High Exposure is the legit authority on ARs and he's a good old fashioned Glock ho' like me.  I will tell you have several suppressed SBR rifles that are DI and haven't had any issues.  

I use a lwrc and colt 6940 piston.  Never any issues.  Hell of alot cleaner. Accuracy is theoretically a bit less.  I guess from the hard hit of the op rod hitting the bolt?   But look at the m1a.  People shooting them stupidly accurate. Example cmp matches.  But i would agree. Di.