BlueLineFish

PA exit strategy thread

5 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Riverfront towns in Burlington County?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes, Burlco.  One of my kids goes to school in burlington. If we moved closer then she could get their bus. Otherwise I have to drop her off/pickup commuting to work and would like to keep it around the 30 min that takes me now. 

Talkig to a guy at work who lives in yardley and he said it’s easily less than that and he goes over the free bridge in Trenton. 

Yes.  One of my kids goes to school in burlington. If we moved closer then she could get their bus. Otherwise I have to drop her off/pickup commuting to work and would like to keep it around the 30 min that takes me now. 
Talkig to a guy at work who lives in yardley and he said it’s easily less than that and he goes over the free bridge in Trenton. 
From what I remember the river towns were rough but that was 15 years ago. I really couldn't understand it. Did they improve?

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

From what I remember the river towns were rough but that was 15 years ago. I really couldn't understand it. Did they improve?

I think it depends what side of RT130 you look.  I honestly haven’t looked too hard yet.  A friend moved from Mount Laurel to Riverton and loves it.

I think it depends what side of RT130 you look.  I honestly haven’t looked too hard yet.  A friend moved from Mount Laurel to Riverton and loves it.
I don't recall looking in Riverton. I was actively buying foreclosures at sheriff sales before everyone started doing it and would check houses out before sale. Monmouth was slow that week so I took look at Burlington County. Went to Burlington, Beverly, and Delanco amongst other towns. Was pulled over in Beverly and accused of being there to buy drugs. Luckily I had my foreclosure list with me. The cop told me he pulled me over because they only see white people in Beverly buying drugs and advised me not to buy anything there. I took his advice. Ending up buying one in Medford Lakes.

4 hours ago, W2MC said:

Maine taxes are significantly higher than New Hampshire.  And to quote a resident - I've been living here for 40 years, and they still consider me a "Masshole"!  Its also COLD in the winter!

Vermont does lean liberal (look where Bernie Sanders came from), but their firearm laws are quite simple/straightforward and can be written on a half-sheet of paper....no concealed carry permit, because they don't have anything that says you cant (other than a few restricted places-they figure they have enough laws about not killing people, no reason to get into the mechanism used.).   

VT people don't like people from NJ. You've seen the bumper stickers right? "Don't Jersey Vermont"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

VT people don't like people from NJ. You've seen the bumper stickers right? "Don't Jersey Vermont"

At least I can claim ancestral rights....some of my family came from Vermont...

2 hours ago, T Bill said:

Depends on where in the Poconos.  ANYWHERE development had large tracks of homes geared to sell to NYers are trouble.  East Stroudsburg, once a quiet little town is now a bastion of crime and displaced NYers. However if you get out of those areas it is very nice place.  The west end (Chestnut Hill) is still nice, but stay aware from the north end of East Stroudsburg up the top of the mountain (Bushkill). Tannersville, Pocono Pines, Tobyhanna triangle full of weekend cabin developments struggling to survive.  Doing your homework is a must.

We have been looking closely in either the Lake Harmony or Hemlock Farms areas.

How on earth is commute time from from North Branch to NYC the same as Yardley?  Is it because your current train or bus is a local and makes a lot of stops?

definitly experiment with that ride at least 30 times before you come to a decision.  That NE corridor is awful.  Standing room only trains often and many delays.  If that variabiity doesn’t bother you then fine.  

I was a door to door guy 1.3 to 1.5 hours one way daily via bus or train for 20 years.   Just in the last year I started driving either all the way into city or to North Bergen park ride.   At first I hated it.  My thinking was if I was gonna be in traffic why not just nap instead of drive car.   But after 6 months I acclimated to driving. I stayed calm shunned road rage and now the times I am on the bus I’m disgusted by the people and port authority lines and being in the car is freedom from schedule.  Anyway I’m just saying don’t just pick your new town based on mass transit.

4 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Riverton is probably the only riverfront town I would consider in Burlington Co. Not sure what high school they send to though, that would be a big consideration if you have kids in public school. 

3 hours ago, W2MC said:

We have been looking closely in either the Lake Harmony or Hemlock Farms areas.

Lake Harmony is nice.  I have a cousin in Hemlock Farms, private, restricted access, very nice.  HOA is high but a lot of upscale people there and things to do.

If anyone has questions about Yardley/LMT area please PM or post here and I'll try to answer for you. But yes, when we moved from NJ to Yardley I figured we were buying ourselves 6-10 years and was willing to take the risk. Also, like someone said earlier, even the people, for the most part, are more courteous and will actually wave you in while in rare traffic. Also, when we ride our bikes or walk every car that drives by and I wave they actually wave back....None of that in NJ

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mikelets456 said:

Also, like someone said earlier, even the people, for the most part, are more courteous and will actually wave you in while in rare traffic. Also, when we ride our bikes or walk every car that drives by and I wave they actually wave back....None of that in NJ

So true. It freaked me out at first LoL.

• Like 1

This busts your question about commutable distances, but we moved to Lancaster County this summer and we're vey happy. Housing prices are reasonable and property taxes are half of NJ for a house twice as night. School districts are all very good. It's just too far to avoid trying to change jobs. I have a job interview in NJ next month and I highly doubt we will move back. They'd have to bump my pay at least 30% to enable us to have the lifestyle we have right now.

5 hours ago, carl_g said:

So true. It freaked me out at first LoL.

i wave to people on bikes. normally the 1 finger salute since they're normally out in the middle of the road. :)

seriously.....in my area, if i'm in my gt......other mustang drivers wave at me. if i'm in my jeep, other jeep drivers wave at me. i never wave back....'cause i don't know em and don't care about em.......

Just now, 1LtCAP said:

i wave to people on bikes. normally the 1 finger salute since they're normally out in the middle of the road. :)

seriously.....in my area, if i'm in my gt......other mustang drivers wave at me. if i'm in my jeep, other jeep drivers wave at me. i never wave back....'cause i don't know em and don't care about em.......

That's fine and that's a car thing. Mike and I were talking about a people being friendly thing. With your attitude, you and NJ are "Perfect together" Just like the commercial. Stay and be miserable.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, carl_g said:

That's fine and that's a car thing. Mike and I were talking about a people being friendly thing. With your attitude, you and NJ are "Perfect together" Just like the commercial. Stay and be miserable.

ha! i'm not as miserable as that makes me sound. most people in this area couldn't really drive their cars if their lives depended on it. i don't like being stuck in traffic with incompetent drivers and feel that these people should be more concerned with their driving than waving to me just 'cause i'm driving the same vehicle as they are.

52 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

Let me guess you have a 4 door jk?

It's called the jeep wave just so you know 

• Like 1

Just now, fishnut said:

Let me guess you have a 4 door jk?

It's called the jeep wave just so you know 

NOPE. 89 wrangler. but she's only got the 2.5 4 banger with a 5 speed. 0-60 in the time it takes to eat dinner. i know it's the jeep wave. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

However, I'll put up with his "miserable" attitude if he votes pro gun and pro-freedom candidates... :)

36 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

ha! i'm not as miserable as that makes me sound. most people in this area couldn't really drive their cars if their lives depended on it. i don't like being stuck in traffic with incompetent drivers and feel that these people should be more concerned with their driving than waving to me just 'cause i'm driving the same vehicle as they are.

Never mind...stay in Jersey (JK)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

sadly for now, i've no choice.

I hope you can get out of there...my dad has been begging to leave since I did but my mom will never leave. I believe she secretly is afraid to pump her own gas...

Do you work too far East? You can almost anywhere in NJ from various part of PA in less than an hour.

• Like 1

I closed on a property in Mount Pocono recently.  The neighbors seem great so far.  Lots of people shooting in their yards, hunting, etc.  There is no HOA and these folks seem like they've lived there for a while.  House is located on a dirt road easement.  It was difficult to find something not part of a HOA.  

I am unsure of how will I renew my Bayonne parking permit with a PA license and registration.  I own a home in Bayonne and plan on keeping it also due to family and work obligations despite spending more time in PA.  

The block I live on recently went to resident only parking and even with proper NJ documents it wasn't an easy process.  They wouldn't accept my vehicle registration because the corner of the paper had a tear in it, which meant a trip to the DMV, then back to City Hall.  I wonder why I don't have these problems when it comes to paying my property taxes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnRyan said:

I closed on a property in Mount Pocono recently.  The neighbors seem great so far.  Lots of people shooting in their yards, hunting, etc.  There is no HOA and these folks seem like they've lived there for a while.  House is located on a dirt road easement.  It was difficult to find something not part of a HOA.  

I am unsure of how will I renew my Bayonne parking permit with a PA license and registration.  I own a home in Bayonne and plan on keeping it also due to family and work obligations despite spending more time in PA.  

The block I live on recently went to resident only parking and even with proper NJ documents it wasn't an easy process.  They wouldn't accept my vehicle registration because the corner of the paper had a tear in it, which meant a trip to the DMV, then back to City Hall.  I wonder why I don't have these problems when it comes to paying my property taxes.

Odd... isn’t it.

On 1/16/2018 at 2:06 PM, fishnut said:

Might want to look a little further north. Nashua gets a bit of Riff Raff that spills over from Massachusetts. 

I'm going further north, sandwich, moultonborough, bartlett, Jackson or Chatham are the main towns im looking at. 

I little further north? --  How long is the drive from Nashua to Jackson? 

You don't need to go that far to get away from the Nashua riffraff

I bought property in Warner a few years ago -- 15 minutes from Lake Sunapee --  It's a busy area if you want it to be,  not so busy  too.  I don't have a house there, just property. It's a 5 hour drive from here.

• Like 1