BlueLineFish

PA exit strategy thread

27 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

I little further north? --  How long is the drive from Nashua to Jackson? 

You don't need to go that far to get away from the Nashua riffraff

I bought property in Warner a few years ago -- 15 minutes from Lake Sunapee --  It's a busy area if you want it to be,  not so busy  too.  I don't have a house there, just property. It's a 5 hour drive from here.

didn't mean he had to go as far north as I'm going but everything I've found in my research says stay away from Nashua and the Massachusetts border towns

Bartlett is exactly 7 hours from Flemington door to door

On 1/16/2018 at 2:06 PM, fishnut said:

Might want to look a little further north. Nashua gets a bit of Riff Raff that spills over from Massachusetts. 

I'm going further north, sandwich, moultonborough, bartlett, Jackson or Chatham are the main towns im looking at. 

I know, but we have family around Boston and want to be close enough to them without being in Mass, and want civilization.  Don't want to be in Nashu itself, but have seen Wyndam and Hollis neighborhoods that we like.  It is what it is.  No "perfect" place but IMO certainly better than what NJ has in store for the next 4-8-12 years.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BlueLineFish said:

This thread was about PA. If you want we can start a new England thread

My bad. 

If I was forced to live in PA again if go back to western pa. I lived outside blairsville pa when I went to auto body school. Near Latrobe. Private school for the kid would be a must out there though and it' a bit of a ride out there. 

This thread was about PA. If you want we can start a new England thread
I'm at the point of anywhere but NJ/NY.

Went to my kids school tonight for concert. Same school I went to. School looks the same. People not so much. My family was the only family near me speaking English when we were walking out of the school. The others weren't speaking Spanish. It helped to reaffirm why I collect Finnish Arms.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, capt14k said:

A lot of bad juju in NH. Especially Bartlett Area.

https://www.doj.nh.gov/criminal/cold-case/victim-list/index.htm

There are about 125 names on that list dating back to 1966 -- the newest, most recent is 2011

You're kidding right? 

• Like 2

There are about 125 names on that list dating back to 1966 -- the newest, most recent is 2011

You're kidding right? 

Link was official state cold case list. Total vs population of area is important. Look into some of the cases a little more and number of suspected serial killers. Seems disproportionately high to me. Here is a quick synopsis of just a few of the linked cases.

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-hampshire/unsolved-mysteries-nh/

37 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Sections of Allentown might be an option. Parkland is a top school district in PA. An hour and 5 min no traffic to work for me. That's a lot of miles though. 

And a mall..... and an airport.... If I fly into the area to visit my family in Hunterdon, it's into where I'll fly.

3 hours ago, Oleg said:

I went to zillow and clicked at random houses in PA. It feels like Pennsylvania is auctioning off and foreclosing, a lot. I wonder why.

Could say the same thing about north jersey

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oleg said:

I went to zillow and clicked at random houses in PA. It feels like Pennsylvania is auctioning off and foreclosing, a lot. I wonder why.

Mostly because there’s no work. Tech industries and Amazon is forcing closings. Maine and other mostly blue collar states suffer from the same thing. 

7 hours ago, Oleg said:

NJ had the highest foreclosure rate In 2017.   PA not even top 10.  

Maryland number 2 but N.J. is nearly 2x the rate.  For liberal happiness CT was number 7. 

• Like 3

NJ had the highest foreclosure rate In 2017.   PA not even top 10.  
Maryland number 2 but N.J. is nearly 2x the rate.  For liberal happiness CT was number 7. 
You are correct. And NJ has a whole lot of that foreclosed inventory that hasn't been put back into the supply yet. Anyone that thinks NJ doesn't have a not of foreclosures check out any of the weekly County sheriff foreclosure sale lists.

Here’s my other opinion on N.J. real estate, it’s a professional one, but take it for what you’re paying for it.  NJ will lead the high tax state in negative HPA (home price appreciation); prices will go down.  If you’re a short term owner you may see it a bit, if you’re a long hauler than who cares.  

State and local tax deductions are more valuable in NJ, on a complete state basis, then any of the other competitors.   Our incomes tax is second only to CA, and our property tax is second to none.  If Sweeney should allow a vote on the top tax rate, ill named millionaire’s tax, we will pass California in income tax.  

Recently Moody’s and Bloomberg have published articles that support my view    

Between Murphy polling well and Trump’s tax strategy, I sold my house a bit earlier than expected. And I did that because my time horizon would’ve been March.  I didn’t want to deal with short term volatility in home prices and I wanted to be homesteader in FL for 2018 for income tax purposes. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 9:41 AM, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

As others have said,

1) Save about 3-4% on income tax (that is NOT insignificant)

So, under Christie's last tax increase there was talk of changing NJ/PA agreement where NJ doesn't tax PA residents who work in NJ.

Think that idea will come back with Murphy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leahcim said:

So, under Christie's last tax increase there was talk of changing NJ/PA agreement where NJ doesn't tax PA residents who work in NJ.

Think that idea will come back with Murphy?

Which are you speaking of?   Only the gas tax went up under Christie.  

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

Which are you speaking of?   Only the gas tax went up under Christie.  

I thought it was all part of the same bill:

Gas tax went UP, Sales tax went DOWN (but not so much that anyone could notice), Death Tax went DOWN;  Plus collect income Tax on PA residents working in NJ.

Christie had planned to start taxing PA residents who work in NJ--I thought it was part of the original gas tax package.  At any rate, Christie found an extra $200 Million in his couch or something and changed his mind, the PA resident tax did not go through.  I bet Murphy would love to bring that back!

Christie taxing PA residents

Christie will NOT tax PA residents

38 minutes ago, leahcim said:

I thought it was all part of the same bill:

Gas tax went UP, Sales tax went DOWN (but not so much that anyone could notice), Death Tax went DOWN;  Plus collect income Tax on PA residents working in NJ.

Christie had planned to start taxing PA residents who work in NJ--I thought it was part of the original gas tax package.  At any rate, Christie found an extra $200 Million in his couch or something and changed his mind, the PA resident tax did not go through.  I bet Murphy would love to bring that back!

Christie taxing PA residents

Christie will NOT tax PA residents

The only tax that went up was gas and yes, they reduced the sales and estate tax.  The PA tax was a renewal of a tax treatment we had in place that you’d pay in your state of domicile not earning.  It continued the practice in place so there was no change to the revenue stream or at least what generates it. If he did not renew this PA residents working in N.J. would pay N.J. income taxes, much higher, rather than PA—which probably should’ve happened.  It would be similar to the way NY treats N.J. residents, who are the single biggest revenue source in NYS roughly 15% of the total.  

If you look at the links, they say Christie was going to not renew the agreement. Said he had no choice due to budget. Then he magically came up with an extra $200 million and changed that provision. Pretty sure it was part of the same gas tax increase because my co workers from PA were complaining about both at the same time

13 hours ago, leahcim said:

If you look at the links, they say Christie was going to not renew the agreement. Said he had no choice due to budget. Then he magically came up with an extra $200 million and changed that provision. Pretty sure it was part of the same gas tax increase because my co workers from PA were complaining about both at the same time

Nothing changed between N.J. and PA tax treatment.  CC renewed the existing deal that’s been in place. 

Not to hijack....but Delaware is lookin' better to me every day for retirement....zero sales tax and low property tax also.....need to be near the ocean....beach and fish.
3% tax to buyer and seller for residential real estate.

9 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Nothing changed between N.J. and PA tax treatment.  CC renewed the existing deal that’s been in place. 

I never said it changed.  I said that Christie had it in the plan in 2016--to change that agreement and tax PA residents, but then he found an extra $200 Million and decided NJ did not need to rescind the agreement.

My original point was the new NJ Governor may decide differently.

30 minutes ago, leahcim said:

I never said it changed.  I said that Christie had it in the plan in 2016--to change that agreement and tax PA residents, but then he found an extra $200 Million and decided NJ did not need to rescind the agreement.

My original point was the new NJ Governor may decide differently.

Misunderstood.  We are basically saying the same thing 

• Like 1

I sold my nj house in the 2016 season in south somerset county, sales info from 2017 showed I may have sold for ~25k less if I waited. In the meantime, prices in my FL development have increased ~50k new construction .    If you are planning to move, don't wait too long, start pricing now