shooter28

Strike Industries "Stop Stock"- legal?

Driving back thru Delaware last week, I couldn't help myself and decided to stop in Cabelas. One of the ARs had the Magpul STR stock and I really liked it. Searching around Youtube for videos on this stock, I came across the video below. Its called the "Stock Stop" by Strike Industries. I was going to just do the usual blind pin but this seems even easier and doesnt damage the stock or the buffer tube. Basically, this rubber piece sits in the channel, blocking access to all the adjustment holes except the one you want. The stock is prevented from adjusting to any of the other positions. Is there any reason this wouldnt be legal in NJ? 

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/strike-industries-ar-stock-stop.html

You would have to pull the stock and then remove the plastic/rubber strip. So its not permanent, but no solution really is. With a little work, anything can be undone. 

If I remember correctly, nothing in the law says the modification needs to be permanent, but simply the stock and can adjust. 

11 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I pinned my STR through the friction lock so that the paddle to disengage the stock from the buffer can't move at all.  

I pinned my stock through the bottom rail of the buffer tube.

On a side note, if I were to build another AR, anyone on here do compliance work to pin the break?

8 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I am not a lawyer, but I think it would be good.

Nothing says it has to be permanent.

Look at the Magpul Fixed MOE Carbine Stock. One screw and it comes off leaving a bare receiver extension that can accept a standard adjustable stock.

That was my thinking as well. I have the MOE Carbine stock now and within 2 seconds I can have a fully adjustable stock on there. Or using a variation of the "Stock Lock" kit where its a screw and nut holding a stock in the desired hole, that could be replaced in seconds as well. 

I'd have to find it, but I remember seeing something from either the AG or NJSP referencing the intention of the law was to prevent the firearm from being concealed, then extended for use. This *should* be within the spirit of the law. If you cannot adjust it without taking it apart, then it's not adjustable. My hesitation comes from the constructive intent law. The law itself is rather ambiguous, like any other piece of legislation the state would like to use against you. 

With the STR, you can remove some material below the latch mechanism and pop a pin in there. If they made the opening a little bigger from factory, it would be even easier. Epoxy over it. Done. 

I've been using these stocks and the ctr because they can be pinned so easily.

my old rifle I bought at RTSP they used a pop rivet to pin my stock and within 3 weeks and less than 1000 rounds that pin broke and i had an adjustable stock again (it looked pinned). If anyone else has had a rifle stock pinned like this, i'm sure they can agree with me that this solution from Strike is probably just as good as a cheap pin going through a stock.

I think its good to go. I pinned one of my stocks by drilling right through the friction lock (by accident) and out the other side. Made it very easy to make adjustments. Using a punch i would drive the pin through, make my adjustment and put the pin back in.  I had it inspected by a state trooper and he said it was fine. Maybe i got lucky