Regular Guy

New member from Salem County (Exit 1)

Hi all, I'm joining from the garden part of the garden state.  I'm way down the turnpike off exit 1.  I grew up here and I joined the military in the 90s when I was 18.  I spent my adult life in places like Texas, South Dakota and Iraq where they encourage open carry, concealed carry permits were issued the same day you applied, public lands dedicated for shooting and there were things to hunt year around.  My wife and I are from NJ so we decided to move back since all our family is here.  I'm still serving as a full time Guardsmen in the Delaware Air National Guard (Wilmington Airport) and I shoot more over there with my friends vs here in NJ, but I plan on joining the Quinton Sportsmen's Club soon since it's only 2 miles away from my house.  

I do not.  I have not done much competition shooting.  This summer I entered the Delaware National Guard shooting match.  Its a 2 gun competition open to all Army and Air Guard.  I got pulled from it because they could not afford to have me away from duty on the day of the competition.  I was out of town during the event last year.

Between being on Active Duty and joining the Guard, I spent a few years as a Deputy Sheriff in Pennington County, South Dakota (Rapid City and Mt Rushmore are in that county).  I did a lot of shooting with that agency.  They have a SWAT team but all Deputies were very up to date on active shooter response techniques due to the huge area they cover and how un-restrictive the guns laws are.  Funny thing was there were WAY more stabbing than shootings out there.  Go figure. 

quinton is an awesome club, i wish i lived closer. they put on some great 3 gun and idpa matches. navigating the hunting zones, seasons, permits and regulations in nj - its like deciphering a dead language but if you know what you want to hunt and where you can usually figure out the rest. hope the new governor dosent scare you off too fast. if your interested in 3 gun matches at quinton talk to @louu

Edited by bobbyj
too slow lol

10 minutes ago, louu said:

No better time to start than now, there is some kind of match almost every weekend at Quinton. 

I can hear the shooting from my house.  The sound carries like its coming from the woods behind our house but its not a bother at all.  It does get my wife's attention sometimes when she's in the garden and someone fires off something extra loud but I tell her it's the sound of freedom.    

haha, more like 1/4.  Me and 2 kids would have gone to Salem, just the wife went to Woodstown.  Her 20 year reunion is Friday.  I have friends and family who went there.  Its not a bad school, we just tried like heck to beat them every Thanksgiving!

9 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

I'm still serving as a full time Guardsmen in the Delaware Air National Guard (Wilmington Airport) and I shoot more over there with my friends vs here in NJ, but I plan on joining the Quinton Sportsmen's Club soon since it's only 2 miles away from my house.  

What is gun life like for a Delaware resident?

13 hours ago, BobA said:

What is gun life like for a Delaware resident?

Well from what my friends and co-workers tell me and from what I have read:  

You can walk into a store and purchase a handgun (or any firearm) and walk out with it 30 minutes later).

They are permitted to Open Carry (obviously with restrictions to schools, courts, federal buildings, etc).  

To get a concealed carry permit takes a little more, but I believe they are a shall issue state if you dot all the I's and lower case J's and cross the T's.  To get it, you have the background check, mental health records check and paperwork that includes forms similar to our FID and P2P, including the forms where your references fill out and sign saying you are not a terrorist or psycopath.  Then there is something about having your name and info put in the newspaper for so many weeks to give the public a chance to see that you are applying and anyone with a valid reason can come to the court to contest it.  After that, I think there is a brief visit to a judge and you're granted a CCW.  I think you have to have a CCW safety course too.  I love the open carry part.  I used to open carry in South Dakota.  

I don't know who they had open carry reciprocity with, but that's a moot point as I think it is now federally mandated that reciprocity be given to all who have a valid CCW from their home state.

Delaware has no restrictions on weapon features like NJ's "evil feature" bullsh*t and there are no mag capacity restrictions.  

Hunter safety course is required for hunting.  I don't think hunting is allowed with rifles.  Muzzle loader and rifled shotgun is good, but I don't hunt over there so I'm not as sure about hunting laws.  There are 3 counties in the state and they have some rules about the type of ammo you can use in New Castle County (everything north of the canal between the Delaware River and Chesapeake Bay) and the other areas.  Something about .22LR cannot be used to varmint hunt in New Castle County, and shotgun shot made of lead or something can't be used in certain areas.  One of the guys who knows more about that is down in Texas right now for training or I'd be able to ask him.

Overall, its far more relaxed than here and the state is not busy with trying to ban items that are already illegal like how NJ just put another ban on bump stocks because being banned once is nowhere near as efficient as being banned twice.  

20 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

I don't know who they had open carry reciprocity with, but that's a moot point as I think it is now federally mandated that reciprocity be given to all who have a valid CCW from their home state.

Welcome! A word of caution, the Bill, not law, you're referring to is HR 38 which has not passed the Senate and is not law. National reciprocity isn't law. Not sure it ever will be...

6 minutes ago, stuckinNJ said:

Welcome! A word of caution, the Bill, not law, you're referring to is HR 38 which has not passed the Senate and is not law. National reciprocity isn't law. Not sure it ever will be...

Ok, so its still working its way through the process.  Not that it would apply to us if it passes and becomes law.  NJ will not give anyone a CCW to be able to have honored in another state :angry:  

46 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

Well from what my friends and co-workers tell me and from what I have read:  

You can walk into a store and purchase a handgun (or any firearm) and walk out with it 30 minutes later).

They are permitted to Open Carry (obviously with restrictions to schools, courts, federal buildings, etc).  

To get a concealed carry permit takes a little more but they are a shall issue state if you do the I's and lower case J's.  To get it you have the background check and paperwork that includes forms similar to our FID and P2P where your references fill out a form saying you are not a terrorist or psycopath.  Then there is something about having your name and info put in the newspaper for so many weeks to give the public a chance to see that you are applying and anyone with a valid reason can come to the court to contest it.  After that, I think there is a brief visit to a judge and you're granted a CCW.  I think you have to have a CCW safety course too.  I love the open carry part.  I used to open carry in South Dakota.  

Delaware has no restrictions on weapon features like NJ's "evil feature" bullsh*t and there are no mag capacity restrictions.  

Hunter safety course is required for hunting.  I don't think hunting is allowed with rifles.  Muzzle loader and rifled shotgun is good, but I don't hunt over there so I'm not as sure about hunting laws.  There are 3 counties in the state and they have some rules about the type of ammo you can use for in New Castle County (everything north of the canal between the Delaware River and Chesapeake Bay) and the other areas.  Something about .22LR cannot be used to varmint hunt in New Castle County, and shotgun shot made of lead or something can't be used in certain areas.  One of the guys who knows more about that is down in Texas right now for training or I'd be able to ask him.

Overall, its far more relaxed than here and the state is not busy with trying to ban items that are already illegal like how NJ just put another ban on bump stocks because being banned once is nowhere near as efficient as being banned twice.

I guess I was talking about the overall culture.  I've got a little over 3 years to retirement and have been looking for where to do that.  I have been curious about Delaware.  If one had a few acres cold one just shoot if he wanted. i was hoping some of your reserve friends were residents there and you might have a sense.  

I don't know what the specific rules are about that, but I would suspect that if you had enough land in Essex or Sussex Counties, it would probably be ok.  I have a friend who lives in Smyrna.  He's in a residential neighborhood but he is on the edge of the development so there is nothing behind his yard, just hills and a storm water pond.  We set up and shot facing that way from his back yard one day and from what he says, he does it a lot and never has a problem.  His neighbors house is less than 40 feet from his and they do it too.  I doubt you could do this anywhere in New Castle County but outside of the populated areas like Dover, Smyrna and Middletown, you could probably do it with enough land further south.