Donobieus

20 Days for pistol permits!

So i got the call from TRPD that my permits are ready to be picked up.  Only 20 days since I dropped off the paperwork.  They didn't even contact my references this time.  Frequent flyer privileges??  Either way I'm a happy camper.  Now, I think I know what i want but I'd appreciate some feedback.  I'm thinking about a Walther PPQ or a HK VP9 (opinions?) just in case national reciprocity gets passed in my lifetime.  A GP100 because I want to match my .357 lever action rifle but I'm open to suggestions in that price range.  And finally a 1911, again because I don't have one. I was thinking about the Colt Competition in 9mm.  I don't own any .45s and I'm trying to stay within my ammo circle.  What do you guys think?

I'm impatiently waiting to pick up a Taurus PT1911.  I had one years ago when I was stationed out west and I regret that I ever sold it.  20 Days?  You're so lucky.  I submitted a P2P before Thanksgiving and still haven't got it back.  I already have a NJ FID.  I called the State Police where I submitted the paperwork and the Sgt said the backlog is because all NJSP apps for P2P go to 1 person in Trenton who is over worked with processing them.  He said that if they cashed my check, I should get the permit back within 2 weeks.  Check was cashed 3 weeks ago...

I applied on Nov. 1st and just got my permits today which is a win in my town. Last time it took 6 months and the time before 9 months.

With that said I'm thinking about a Rock Island 1911 in 9mm. Everything I see about them it seems like you get a lot of gun for the money.

Gp100 is a good choice. You may also want to check out a S&W model 66, it's a reasonable price for a nice S&W. 

One of the guys I shoot with has a Colt Competition in 45. Nice gun. Well made, a little looser tolerences then the Gold Cup but it's made for a different shooting game. I'd expect the 9mm to be as good. If you want to think outside the 1911 box but still want an all metal classic, you could also check out a CZ 75 or one of the variants. I love my CZ75 SP-01 and it costs a little less then the Colt and is very accurate. 

-Jim

• Like 1

I recently purchased a GP100 357 with a 5” barrel(model #1740) from Galleryofguns.com. Had it to the range about 2 weeks ago for the first time and am very happy with it.  Was my first time purchasing thru Davidsons and was very pleased with the process.

I am in Howell i got mine in 2 weeks. Howell PD is great when it comes to permits. Always 2-3 weeks no more. I hear horror stories about other parts of NJ. There is no excuse for the process taking more than 30 days. 

6 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

I'm impatiently waiting to pick up a Taurus PT1911.  I had one years ago when I was stationed out west and I regret that I ever sold it.  20 Days?  You're so lucky.  I submitted a P2P before Thanksgiving and still haven't got it back.  I already have a NJ FID.  I called the State Police where I submitted the paperwork and the Sgt said the backlog is because all NJSP apps for P2P go to 1 person in Trenton who is over worked with processing them.  He said that if they cashed my check, I should get the permit back within 2 weeks.  Check was cashed 3 weeks ago...

Which barracks?

I don't want to derail this and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but...

Whenever I hear someone celebrate that it only took X days to get pistol permits my blood boils.  We're so used to NJ's illegal infringements on gun ownership that we think it's good when we have to pay a fee, submit to a background check, fill out forms, and wait only 3 weeks for the government to issue a one time only permit, valid for only 90 days, to exercise a constitutionally enumerated civil right.

After 90 days it can be renewed for another 90 i hear what your saying but compared to what i dealt with in NYC this is a breeze. That VP 9 is really nice but isnt the threaded barrel one of the items on murphys hit list?

On 1/18/2018 at 9:25 AM, tony357 said:

On the 1911 front I would seriously consider A Trojan from dawson precision..

https://dawsonprecision.com/copy-of-sti-trojan-crp-hard-chrome/

Yikes!  Almost double the price of the Colt Competition.  I'm sure its awesome but that price puts it out of my range......

13 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I don't want to derail this and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but...

Whenever I hear someone celebrate that it only took X days to get pistol permits my blood boils.  We're so used to NJ's illegal infringements on gun ownership that we think it's good when we have to pay a fee, submit to a background check, fill out forms, and wait only 3 weeks for the government to issue a one time only permit, valid for only 90 days, to exercise a constitutionally enumerated civil right.

I'm well aware of the infringements on my freedom.  Just looking at the bright side of a shitty situation.  I refuse to be miserable or angry all the time.  But hey, to each his own....

On 1/16/2018 at 10:12 PM, oldguysrule649 said:

I recently purchased a GP100 357 with a 5” barrel(model #1740) from Galleryofguns.com. Had it to the range about 2 weeks ago for the first time and am very happy with it.  Was my first time purchasing thru Davidsons and was very pleased with the process.

I like the 5" barrel.  I'm hoping to find a used one.