Bully

RTSP Robbery?

RTSP got robbed is the word on the street. Anyone heard anything?  I’ve had issues with that range in the past however I would never in a million years wish something like this on them or any business, really. It just sucks. 

Not sure what the security is but from what I can recall, it’s a glass door and glass cases there. Smash and grab perhaps. Years ago, some guys did that at a Costco to the jewelry case in broad daylight while they were open. Brazen stuff happens. Who knows.

13 minutes ago, PK90 said:

BURGLARY, not robbery.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

Wow.... I believe that "words matter", and yet I've been (incorrectly!) using those words interchangeably my whole life... just looked it up and realized they have totally different legal definitions. Thanks.

And I'm so very sorry to hear this has happened. Sorry for the business, of course.. but also sorry for how the always-opportunistic anti-2A zealots will likely get a hold of this story and "spin it" for all it's worth --- perhaps as a way to slam commercial ranges in general? I truly hope I'm wrong.  

• Like 1

Makes no difference who the perpetrator is.

https://www.asecurelife.com/burglary-vs-robbery/

Robbery

Robbery is defined by the law as taking or trying to take something from someone that has value by utilizing intimidation, force or threat. In order for robbery to take place, a victim must be present at the scene and can occur with a single victim or, in cases like bank hold ups, multiple victims.

Burglary

Burglary is defined by the law as the unlawful entry to a structure to commit theft or a felony. In order for burglary to take place, a victim does not have to be present. When a burglary takes place, the structure being unlawfully entered can be any number of building types including business offices, personal homes and even garden sheds. Burglary is not the term used for crimes committed on cars.

• Like 1

i go to that place to window shop. they have cameras everywhere, and all of the employees open carry. i have a hard time believing this could have been done without inside knowledge. as in, knowing where the cameras are, knowing when the last employee leaves, knowing various safe combos, etc

5 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

i go to that place to window shop. they have cameras everywhere, and all of the employees open carry. i have a hard time believing this could have been done without inside knowledge. as in, knowing where the cameras are, knowing when the last employee leaves, knowing various safe combos, etc

only thing I can think of other than an inside job would be a take over type of robbery, wait until only a few people locking up and storm the place.,     I''' bet that they are not allowed to carry to their homes when they leave being this is nj 

I think if the later was the case we would have seen it on the "news" or what is presented as news to us.

5 minutes ago, revenger said:

only thing I can think of other than an inside job would be a take over type of robbery, wait until only a few people locking up and storm the place.,     I''' bet that they are not allowed to carry to their homes when they leave being this is nj 

I think if the later was the case we would have seen it on the "news" or what is presented as news to us.

Nah, it was a robbery, so no use of intimidation or force.

That's where I go to shoot and their late days are Wed, Thur, Fri until 10.  Normally they close at 8 (6 on Sun).  Sounds like an inside job if they got into the safe (and after hours).

I would bet they have some very good video of the perps as they have the place fully covered including the outside.  Will be interesting to see how quickly these "people" get caught.

Any customer could walk into the place and see where a majority of the visible cameras or security system hardware are. Any smart criminal would be wearing masks and gloves, though there are a lot of really stupid people out there... What I imagine could be most helpful is outdoor cameras at many local homes and businesses and intersections, where their guard might be down, and any masks might be off.

Hopefully these peopke are caught quickly and without incident, and every single item is recovered, and all the FFLs around benefit from knowledge gained from all this

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Not sure what the security is but from what I can recall, it’s a glass door and glass cases there. Smash and grab perhaps. Years ago, some guys did that at a Costco to the jewelry case in broad daylight while they were open. Brazen stuff happens. Who knows.

Some other guys did that years and years ago in Franklin - place closed down after.  from what I heard is that he kept the handguns in a glass case and not the safe.

I would think if they were IN the safe someone had to have intimate knowledge of the inside of the premise its alarm systems and dare I safe the safe code./....

8 minutes ago, fishnut said:

To bad they dident have that security guard from the 7-11 robbery working overnight. 

speaking of which.....they said on news today...that was in compton commifornia.

i know at my repair shop, the alarm goes off in a few seconds. the monitoring agency calls me. no answer no password they call chpd. their arrival time is quick. always.

1012962_869691989748671_6970893306260814

Burglary Incident at RTSP 1/16/18 @ approx..10:52pm

Members and customers of RTSP have reached out and posted many questions about the incident that occurred at our facility last night (1/16/18). Even though this is an ongoing investigation by local, state and federal authorities, we want to provide you with some information to try and alleviate any concerns you might have.

The incident occurred after hours, thankfully. No staff members were present at the time. Two individu...als were able to gain access to the store and attempt to smash and grab RTSP inventory located in our retail display cases. They left the building within 2 minutes of entry. Randolph PD had a tremendous response time and was on site within 4 minutes. Our Security Systems and Security Procedures worked as designed and Randolph PD’s investigation will continue. We can assure you that no personal firearms/firearms on order etc.. were affected during this break in. Doors and cases have been repaired and we are back up and running as normal.

Thank you for your concerns and we will see you at the range!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

Nah, it was a robbery, so no use of intimidation or force.

That's where I go to shoot and their late days are Wed, Thur, Fri until 10.  Normally they close at 8 (6 on Sun).  Sounds like an inside job if they got into the safe (and after hours).

No, it was not a robbery.

It was a burglary.

2C:18-2. Burglary. a. Burglary defined. A person is guilty of burglary if, with purpose to commit an offense therein or thereon he:

(1)Enters a research facility, structure, or a separately secured or occupied portion thereof unless the structure was at the time open to the public or the actor is licensed or privileged to enter;

(2)Surreptitiously remains in a research facility, structure, or a separately secured or occupied portion thereof knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so; or

(3)Trespasses in or upon utility company property where public notice prohibiting trespass is given by conspicuous posting, or fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders.

A robbery, by N.J. Definition, requires an element of force or implied force.

C:15-1.  Robbery
      a.  Robbery defined.    A person is guilty of robbery if, in the course of  committing a theft, he:

(1) Inflicts bodily injury or uses force upon another;  or

(2) Threatens another with or purposely puts him in fear of immediate bodily  injury;  or

(3) Commits or threatens immediately to commit any crime of the first or second degree.

An act shall be deemed to be included in the phrase  "in the course of committing a theft"  if it occurs in an attempt to commit theft or in immediate  flight after the attempt or commission.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

No, it was not a robbery.

It was a burglary.

2C:18-2. Burglary. a. Burglary defined. A person is guilty of burglary if, with purpose to commit an offense therein or thereon he:

(1)Enters a research facility, structure, or a separately secured or occupied portion thereof unless the structure was at the time open to the public or the actor is licensed or privileged to enter;

(2)Surreptitiously remains in a research facility, structure, or a separately secured or occupied portion thereof knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so; or

(3)Trespasses in or upon utility company property where public notice prohibiting trespass is given by conspicuous posting, or fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders.

A robbery, by N.J. Definition, requires an element of force or implied force.

C:15-1.  Robbery
      a.  Robbery defined.    A person is guilty of robbery if, in the course of  committing a theft, he:

(1) Inflicts bodily injury or uses force upon another;  or

(2) Threatens another with or purposely puts him in fear of immediate bodily  injury;  or

(3) Commits or threatens immediately to commit any crime of the first or second degree.

An act shall be deemed to be included in the phrase  "in the course of committing a theft"  if it occurs in an attempt to commit theft or in immediate  flight after the attempt or commission.

You're right, I flipped it as I typed it.  My bad!

• Like 1

I have never been to rtsp late, before closing. I have been to another FFL late, and (at least years ago) their handguns get collected and locked up in a safe. Anyone know if rtsp cables everything in place or collects? If everything is left in place, it sounds like a broken window, a broken display case, and bolt cutters would fit in with the 2 minutes.

• Like 1

Just now, Malice4you said:

I have never been to rtsp late, before closing. I have been to another FFL late, and (at least years ago) their handguns get collected and locked up in a safe. Anyone know if rtsp cables everything in place or collects? If everything is left in place, it sounds like a broken window, a broken display case, and bolt cutters would fit in with the 2 minutes.

If I remember correctly they cable lock the rifles but leave the handguns in glass cases.