revenger

NICS and federal shutdown

In the event the 5th column ( democrats ) shut down the federal govt this friday what happens to NICS?

Is our esteemed NRA affiliate preparing a civil rights lawsuit to present IMMEDIATELY after shutdown to the SC?    

Any ideas, has this ever happened before?

14 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

gotcha. i thought i'd seen the 3 day thing in the statutes....but could be wrong

No FFL in their right mind would ever let a gun go after a 3 day no response. After the Sandy Hook shooting response time took weeks.. Guns waiting on NICS approvals were piled from the floor to the ceiling during that one.

No FFL in their right mind would ever let a gun go after a 3 day no response. After the Sandy Hook shooting response time took weeks.. Guns waiting on NICS approvals were piled from the floor to the ceiling during that one.

I guess I am out of my mind. Once the dealer gets an NTN, the clock starts ticking.

ETA: I do that now. Half of the DELAYSs go to an OPEN status, then go away after 30 days. No approval is ever given.

I think your wrong on the shutdown. First of all the NJSP Firearms unit wont be affected by a federal shutdown. Not like the state shutdown. Also the Federal NICS system is integrated into the national system for law enforcement and should remain on-line regardless. In fact if i remember correctly most all elements of the federal law enforcement system are considered essential. Besides how many times has the threat of a shutdown been used by congress as blackmail in the past. As optomistic as it sounds I doubt they will shut down, in my simple and humble opinion.

8 minutes ago, nuclearheli said:

I think your wrong on the shutdown. First of all the NJSP Firearms unit wont be affected by a federal shutdown. Not like the state shutdown. Also the Federal NICS system is integrated into the national system for law enforcement and should remain on-line regardless. In fact if i remember correctly most all elements of the federal law enforcement system are considered essential. Besides how many times has the threat of a shutdown been used by congress as blackmail in the past. As optomistic as it sounds I doubt they will shut down, in my simple and humble opinion.

state pd sends info to nics. they can't if nics is shut down

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

state pd sends info to nics. they can't if nics is shut down

Precisely and the NICS database is a stripped down version of the NCIC (National Crime Information Center). The NCIC is considered essential and now also used by Homeland Security. I doubt they would shut down the entire nations NCIC system. I recall several years ago when another Federal shutdown was threatened, one of many, the paper's listed essential services that would still be available. The FBI and other federal law enforcement agencies were "essential". Non essential stuff includes national parks and stuff like that.  

I knew I recalled something about this years ago. Here is the answer to your question.

https://pjmedia.com/blog/if-the-government-shuts-down-what-happens-to-the-fbis-gun-purchase-background-check-system/

5 hours ago, PK90 said:

I guess I am out of my mind. Once the dealer gets an NTN, the clock starts ticking.

ETA: I do that now. Half of the DELAYSs go to an OPEN status, then go away after 30 days. No approval is ever given.

I was referring to an FFL in NJ. You don't count...you escaped.