John Boy

S548 Strengthens State’s assault weapons ban.

13 hours ago, MrSurfboard said:

Gun laws have nothing to do with safety. They are designed to slowly erode gun ownership until all guns are illegal to own. 

IMO you are mistaken. It's more like: 

Gun laws have nothing to do with safety. They are designed to slowly erode gun ownership until gun owners are a non-existent voting block and thus can be ignored. In theory this will forever cripple the ability of the other side to win. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, raz-0 said:

IMO you are mistaken. It's more like: 

Gun laws have nothing to do with safety. They are designed to slowly erode gun ownership until gun owners are a non-existent voting block and thus can be ignored. In theory this will forever cripple the ability of the other side to win. 

Yes, I totally agree that's their calculation.  

44 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

That's what they do in Massachusetts.  I can easily see this coming to NJ.  

not if NJ just skips that part and goes right to illegal.....

46 minutes ago, EngineerJet said:

the paranoid in me says they already know what everyone has

Your not wrong to be paranoid IMO. However in theory the state "shouldnt " know specifically what you have as far as rifles go the nics check doesnt specify beyond long gun IIRC. However the specifics are logged in thru the  FFL if it was purchased new in NJ. It would take a lot of man hours to sort that out of the FFLs books, wether it be the state's agents or the actual dealer but it can be done......and on that note a while back there was some discussion here about one or more dealers here being required to start keeping a "third" book just for AR types. How far that got IDK.....

6 hours ago, tony357 said:

"Imitation firearm" means an object or device reasonably capable of being mistaken for a firearm.

Cell phone ?

That is actually funny because this actually happened to me about 17 years ago, when I lived in brooklyn. Had a big Nokia cell phone hanging off my belt. Buying cigs at CVS, pushed my jacket back to reach into my front pocket, an off duty NYPD working security asks me "You have a permit for that?"  

This law has multiple grounds to which to file lawsuits.

One is lack of compensation. California Firearms Owners successfully got a Federal Injunction against the new 10 round magazine capacity law. Previously magazines over 10 rounds were grandfathered. New law takes away grandfathering.

Common Use Grounds is another regarding AR-15 Rifles and the defacto ban.

The law makes all Military Surplus Semi Autos with detachable magazines illegal except for the German G/K43. This should allow challenges on common use grounds.

M1 Carbine is one of the most common rifles owned and it helped save the Free World and Defeat Imperial Japan. They were sold direct by the CMP, a government entity, yet they are illegal in NJ. Rifles such as the Swedish AG42B are used in competition shooting. That would certainly fall under common use.

Other Collectible Semi Auto Milsurps with Detachable Magazines would have to be sold, destroyed, turned in, or have irreversible harm done to them by the removal of the bayonet mount which would greatly negatively affect value. How would the state compensate owners when condition is a huge factor? Lawsuits must be filed. If the laws are too costly to the state they will be forced to back down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bt Doctur said:

a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:

a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

Guess my 1911 is now an assault pistol?

Guess what, A Democrat too

Nia Gill
Nia H. Gill is an American Democratic Party politician

Any handgun with a rail?

4 hours ago, EngineerJet said:

What I want to know is... does having an AR registered mean probable cause for coming in your house and doing a search.

I would say imo yea but I'm not an attorney...i wouldn't register anything....move it out of state

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

wait? a rail is considered a military feature??

Folks there are commas there for a reason....i believe they are using it to separate elements this a handgrip can be attached to a rail...then I guess you can make an agreement that a rail meant for a light is a no go 

You might not like the answer

4 hours ago, siderman said:

...and on that note a while back there was some discussion here about one or more dealers here being required to start keeping a "third" book just for AR types. How far that got IDK.....

You might not like the answer to the last question.....

• Like 1

Taking a trip through the past — The 1990 NJ Assault Weapon Ban:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/18/nyregion/new-jersey-votes-the-strictest-law-in-the-nation-on-assault-weapons.html

In New Jersey in 1990, we were pioneers.

Clinton’s nationwide AWB followed in 1994 (and expired in 2004).

We are fortunate that Chris Christie was able to kick this down the road and so we have a few years of experience and legal briefs by our cousins in 2 large states to draw on. There is now an abundance of legal precedence on both the state and local levels.

Not only are we a few years behind, but we are a relatively small state and only have about 15% of the combined population of California and New York. On the Federal court level — where this is all heading, we are mainly going along for the ride this time.

I joined both the California and New York firearm forums. There are more than a few ongoing discussions on the relevant subjects.

1. It is possible to build an AR with one (1) “evil feature”.  Several large firearms manufacturers (with large engineering departments and large legal departments) do so.

2. It is possible to build an AR with zero (0) “evil features”.

3. The problem is not the number of "evil features." The problem is the number of evil people. The majority of our elected officials here are either incapable of understanding this, or refuse to admit it.

Today is probably a great time to be an attorney specializing in firearms law!  

I’ve been an NRA member for years. I agree that it is an excellent idea to join. Stay safe!

15 minutes ago, Bob2222 said:

Taking a trip through the past — The 1990 NJ Assault Weapon Ban:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/18/nyregion/new-jersey-votes-the-strictest-law-in-the-nation-on-assault-weapons.html

In New Jersey in 1990, we were pioneers.

Clinton’s nationwide AWB followed in 1994 (and expired in 2004).

We are fortunate that Chris Christie was able to kick this down the road and so we have a few years of experience and legal briefs by our cousins in 2 large states to draw on. There is now an abundance of legal precedence on both the state and local levels.

Not only are we a few years behind, but we are a relatively small state and only have about 15% of the combined population of California and New York. On the Federal court level — where this is all heading, we are mainly going along for the ride this time.

I joined both the California and New York firearm forums. There are more than a few ongoing discussions on the relevant subjects.

1. It is possible to build an AR with one (1) “evil feature”.  Several large firearms manufacturers (with large engineering departments and large legal departments) do so.

2. It is possible to build an AR with zero (0) “evil features”.

3. The problem is not the number of "evil features." The problem is the number of evil people. The majority of our elected officials here are either incapable of understanding this, or refuse to admit it.

Today is probably a great time to be an attorney specializing in firearms law!  

I’ve been an NRA member for years. I agree that it is an excellent idea to join. Stay safe!

4. The biggest issue we face isn't the oppressive laws we are/will be facing but who is going to actually step up and take on the legal challenges to fight back. Lawsuits , not talk. This needs to go to the courts, plain and simple. There is an obvious choice to do that but, well never mind......

On 1/19/2018 at 11:13 AM, 1LtCAP said:

why would you have it registered?

FFLs are required to have a separate book just for ARs. NJSP rquire it, I wonder why?

• Like 1