weekend_junkie

2014 Dodge key fob help

I bought a 2014 Charger and only have 1 key fob. Dealership wants $300 for a new key but a local locksmith said to just ask them for the SKIM code just in case their hardware can’t read it and they will cut & program for $65. I had one dealer in Bergen county say they will not tell me the SKIM code because only they will program keys (no thanks).

Does anyone have advice on getting the SKIM code and programming the new keys? Is there a tool that you I can get to DIY and just have the shanks cut locally?

The integrated mechanical emergency key of the FOBIK provides emergency access to the vehicle in case the battery in the vehicle or the transmitter becomes discharged. The emergency key can also be retained to keep any locked on-board vehicle storage compartments such as the glove box secured, for example: While the vehicle is being attended to by a parking valet.

Each vehicle owner is provided with a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) by the dealer at the time of vehicle purchase. This number is required along with a diagnostic scan tool for the dealer to program an additional or replacement FOBIK into the electronics of the vehicle. The emergency key included with a new additional or replacement blank FOBIK must also be cut to match the coding of the lock cylinders in the vehicle.

Diagnosis of a FOBIK transmitter requires the use of a Radio Frequency Detector such as special tool # 9001. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

I lost one of my fobs to my 2014 Grand Caravan.  Searched for it around the house for six months to no avail.  I eventually spent the $300+ and purchased a genuine replacement from my Dodge dealer and had them program it.

I did consider buying a cheaper replacement from  Amazon.  However, some of the reviews indicated it stopped working after a short while and their wife was stuck away from home as a result.

So I did not want to introduce that risk.

p.s. About a year later was cleaning out my closet and in a pair of dress pants that no longer fit me was the “lost” fob,  lol.

I've got a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder that I just lost one of the remotes for. Ordered 2 on Amazon for $10, programmed them yesterday (takes < 5 minutes), and all is well. Granted, older vehicles don't have the fancy integrated emergency key, but if you are in doubt about ordering replacements from Amazon they seem to work fine. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

I've got a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder that I just lost one of the remotes for. Ordered 2 on Amazon for $10, programmed them yesterday (takes < 5 minutes), and all is well. Granted, older vehicles don't have the fancy integrated emergency key, but if you are in doubt about ordering replacements from Amazon they seem to work fine. 

Good info, thanks. I am still trying to find a replacement key and FOB for my wife's 2011 Honda Pilot. 

I got a key fob from Amazon and spent an hour trying 3 different ways to program it myself. N/G

I then found these guys. I bought one fob from them and had them try to program the one I got from Amazon. Turns out that one did take the program so now I have an extra.

image.png.240b2b4ae3f9e3c3ac90aebce22caf20.png