Hairless_Ape

What do you consider a light weight?

My first build was a SPR with an 18" medium contour bbl.  Fully dressed that sucker weighs about 9.5#.  My second build was an M4gery with a 16" Govt. profile barrel.  It weighs a lot less than the SPR. Scantily clad, she weighs in at 6.5#.  That's light enough for me.  I grew up when guns were so heavy, only men picked them up.  I guess heavy is a relative thing.

Edit: I don't know what I was thinking.  My SPR is not 13#. It didn't sound right to me when I typed it so I went and weighed it. 

• Like 1

My lightest AR happens to be my .45 D/I... Macon Armory upper, built off a Spikes lower. Runs a CompM4s. Started building it as a rifle for my ex, being she had medical issues resulting from a stroke (loss of dexterity on left side).

ImCRuQv.jpg

gaFbC0W.jpg

Only difference now is I yanked off the BAD lever (was having intermittent failure to lock back when empty). Didn’t weigh with the light (USC magazine was included; no sling), but was just shy under 7 pounds.

Is it the same weight as my SUB-2000? No, but that is light enough for me.

My 3-gun build is an 18" with a rifle length buffer/stock, 15" handguard.

With it's medium contour barrel it weighs in at 6.75lbs with optic and empty magazine

I consider it light, but I could shave off a half pound by going to white oaks new barrel and i could lose another half pound on the stock pretty easy.  Titanium gas block, light bcg, lightest receiver possible, titanium takedown pins, selector, pistol grip screw etc give you a solid "light" foundation.

I'm pretty sure I've already posted this photo a few times but here's it again for reference.  

2017_Shooting_Images-7228_zpsqcywig6j.jp

simply picking a lighter stock, light barrel profile and going wiht irons, I have a pretty cheap build that tips the scale at 5.8lbs. It does have a carbon fiber forearm, but it wasn't an expensive one. heavy bolt carrier, heavy buffer. Drop $165 on a RCA lightened carrier with adjustable key, and I could drop another 5oz off it easy. For another $165, I could drop another 7oz off the stock. 

there's light and there's light. IMO if you hit 7lbs and keep it balanced, it is very handy, transitions fast, and is easily carrier. 

Stuff starts to get REALLY pricey once you start trying to beat 5lbs. Currently the challenging mark is ~60oz. To hit that you have to start spending AND make the gun stupid. 

On 1/18/2018 at 0:36 AM, Hairless_Ape said:

Zeke's threads got me thinking, what do people consider light weight?

I'll set some simple rules here, so we're all on the same page:

16" barrel, minimum 12" free float handguard, red dot, and BUIS. Unloaded weight, of course. 

In my case, for her, it’s lighter then the Larue. Should be enough to hear” ya, that a lot lighter”

On 1/18/2018 at 2:52 PM, Pew Pew Plates said:

My 3-gun build is an 18" with a rifle length buffer/stock, 15" handguard.

With it's medium contour barrel it weighs in at 6.75lbs with optic and empty magazine

I consider it light, but I could shave off a half pound by going to white oaks new barrel and i could lose another half pound on the stock pretty easy.  Titanium gas block, light bcg, lightest receiver possible, titanium takedown pins, selector, pistol grip screw etc give you a solid "light" foundation.

I'm pretty sure I've already posted this photo a few times but here's it again for reference.  

2017_Shooting_Images-7228_zpsqcywig6j.jp

You're cheating though. I see that carbon fiber handguard. :lol:

7 hours ago, Zeke said:

In my case, for her, it’s lighter then the Larue. Should be enough to hear” ya, that a lot lighter”

How much does the "too heavy for Mrs Zeke" LaRue weigh?

2 minutes ago, Hairless_Ape said:

You're cheating though. I see that carbon fiber handguard. :lol:

How much does the "too heavy for Mrs Zeke" LaRue weigh?

Idk.. ( cause I’m a man) but it’s “ like rilly heavy”

20 g 1187, full stock, 28” barrel 

youth stock, 26” barrel “ that’s sooo much better “

• Like 1