AS350Driver

No more drag races in Englishtown!

when we were still running the shop camaro at atco, one thing i'd noticed was that we were slowly being invaded by tuner pos's......

it's sad to see englishtown killing this. i'd read about it a couple days ago. they're trying to say that the laws that they themselves spawned are what's doing it....yet....the track didn't spawn crap for laws....that was the dumbasses not doing research before moving in near a race track.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, louu said:

I heard they were knocking down the big MX track too and making it a parking lot just like Atco did, sucks.

The press release they had out said they're keeping Motocross, as well as Road Course, Drifting, Car shows, Go Kart and Monster Truck events.

• Like 1

I heard the only thing they are closing is the 1/4 mile track.  They - I kid you not - got an offer they could not refuse.  Apparently like $75 million for 15 years to store cars.  I guess they weren't making $5 million a year in profit from the track.
Damn why would anyone pay that much to store cars ?

7 minutes ago, tattooo said:
13 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:
I heard the only thing they are closing is the 1/4 mile track.  They - I kid you not - got an offer they could not refuse.  Apparently like $75 million for 15 years to store cars.  I guess they weren't making $5 million a year in profit from the track.

Damn why would anyone pay that much to store cars ?

It may be related to recalls (VW etc) or losses on insured vehicles due to natural disasters.  I believe they stored a bunch of cars there after a hurricane a few years ago too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

I heard the only thing they are closing is the 1/4 mile track.  

I guess it can no longer be used as a runway either...   (The track is adjacent to, and almost parallel with, the runway at Old Bridge airport.   Every few years, someone screws up and lands on the drag strip)

Runway/Dragstrip

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

and 1/8th mile as well.

31 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

Isn't that just the first half of the 1/4 mile strip?  It's been a while since I was down there.

Some old friends still went down there.  They'll have to move to Atco or something.  Not very happy.

There's a separate track.

4445ec21ee5176e0e41932d8f9edbc1e.jpg
https://gyazo.com/4445ec21ee5176e0e41932d8f9edbc1e

• Like 1

Just now, GunsnFreedom said:

Look at that!  I never knew.  Thanks for the diagram and everything.  You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I wouldn't have known either except I've actually run the 1/8th mile at a Scion car event.  We had bracket racing for the 1/8th.  Tended to have our events down on that side of the lot as well - away from a lot of the crowds.

3 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

when we were still running the shop camaro at atco, one thing i'd noticed was that we were slowly being invaded by tuner pos's......

it's sad to see englishtown killing this. i'd read about it a couple days ago. they're trying to say that the laws that they themselves spawned are what's doing it....yet....the track didn't spawn crap for laws....that was the dumbasses not doing research before moving in near a race track.

Same for people that buy houses adjacent to rail tracks near a road crossing, then complain about the trains blowing the horn as they go through. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

The press release they had out said they're keeping Motocross, as well as Road Course, Drifting, Car shows, Go Kart and Monster Truck events.

There's 2 MX tracks there, they are keeping the little practice track open but the big one is going. 

Never mind all that car crap. I remember in the 80's when we and another couple went to the track. It was 'Bikini Day'. All women wearing Bikini tops got in for free.

My wife, my daughter, and my friend's wife acquitted themselves nicely. $0 entry fee. ^_^

And the Whoo Hoo factor was second only to the Top Fuel Funny Cars.

The 1/8mile in yellow was typically used for JrDragsters. I guess when the ricers were there they used it as a spill over. 

I have a love and hate relationship with ETown. My car always ran better at Atco. Better traction 100% of the time. ETown kicked me out several times and one of the guys working there was a total dick. He left a few years back to race drag bikes professionally. Fuck I hated that guy. A lot of the other workers have become my friends since I started racing in 2001. It's sad to see them loose their jobs. I met some of my best friends through drag racing. 

A bunch of us are getting together tomorrow after years of not seeing each other because we all started talking about ETown closing this week.  So maybe there is a silver lining  

My car was shot for GM High Tech magazine at ETown. I had to install mufflers just so I can run there for the photo shoot lol. 

Atco never busted my balls about noise. 

Old Bridge slapped ETown with a huge environmental tax. That, coupled with the offer from the car storage company was too much for the Napps to continue running cars down the strip. Sad. 

At at the end of the day Atco is better. So as convenient as ETown was, being 10 minutes away, fuck em. I'll go to Atco anyway. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2018 at 8:24 AM, 1LtCAP said:

Pretty much why i stopped going circa 2008.  It got really old spending 2 hours round trip driving, plus prep on both ends, plus $40 (or whatever it cost) to make 3 passes in 5 hours, because fucksticks with overboosted hondas would blow up and oil down the entire track.  multiple times the owner came over the PA system and said the next person who oils down the whole track will cause the track to close for the night.

I bought in to a test-and-tune private track rental day down at Atco once.  39 runs in 1 day for $125.  Best day ever.

18 hours ago, louu said:

Nope, no nationals at all in this state now.

maybe they'll bring them to atco....but the guy that bought that traxk a few years ago screwed the previous owner bad.....so we don't know what's gonna happen there either.....