JimB1

Taurus new 38/357/9 DA revolver

http://www.guns.com/2018/01/19/taurus-introduces-multi-caliber-revolver/

May have to check this one out. Double action with a swapable cylinder. I have been wondering for years why Ruger hasn’t done this already since they have been doing it with the Blackhawk for a long time now.

There are a few 9mm only options out there but most are snubnose which I am not into or stupidly expensive ( looking at you S&W :rolleyes: ) But I am not a huge fan of 9mm in a revolver anyway when 38/357 covers the same ground ballistically. It’d be cool to have the option in a pinch though.

-Jim

The moon clips suck.  Smith made a revolver some time ago, @Pizza Bob would know, that was chambered in 9mm and didn't use moon clips.  

Being as the price of basic 9mm is under 10 bucks nowadays the gun will be most used with that cylinder.   No moon clips!

What have you got against moon clips??? - Best invention since sliced bread.

You are thinking of the 547 a K-frame with either a 3" or 4" barrel. Had a special extractor star that expanded into the extractor groove for extraction. Too expensive to manufacture.

Ray Ray, your favorite manufacturer, Charter Arms, now makes revolvers for rimless rounds (9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP) that do not require moon clips. S&W tied them up in court for several years because of the 547. They call the line the Pit Bulls. Moon clips are much better.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I find this more interesting because of the technical aspects that need to be overcome to do this properly, and well.

A revolver has something called B/C gap, its the space between the forcing cone and front of the cylinder, there is a sweet spot where this works best, IMO - between .004 and .008. Every cylinder is a slightly a different length, some shorter, some longer - so the B/C gap is typically after each cylinder is installed.  In order for this gun to work properly they would need to pair up two different cylinders of matching (or very very close ) lengths.  Too tight of a gap, the cylinder will rub on the forcing cone as the gun heats up, too wide you can see lead splitting and velocity loss.

The other aspect would be timing, which can be more easily solved since most revolver manufactures just do a crude rough cut with a hardened steel hand. It works, but not particularly smooth when it comes to a nice double action pull IMO. 

Would not consider a Taurus semi auto, but they have made some pretty cool revolvers over the years. The “Raging” series of revolvers come to mind. I think the coolest ones were the Raging Thirty, and the very cool Raging Hornet with the 10 inch vented ribbed barrel in .22 Hornet. A convertible cylinder revolver with that also shoots 9mm sounds pretty good to me. 

11 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Because it says Jerry Miculek on the side and has a 6.5" barrel instead of a 5"?

No, because it holds 8 rounds rather than 7, which makes it competition friendly. Not to mention the extra heft of the N-frame over the L, which better absorbs the modest recoil. I wouldn't care if it said Mickey Mouse on the side, it's just the better choice.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

19 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Because it says Jerry Miculek on the side and has a 6.5" barrel instead of a 5"?

8 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

No, because it holds 8 rounds rather than 7, which makes it competition friendly. Not to mention the extra heft of the N-frame over the L, which better absorbs the modest recoil. I wouldn't care if it said Mickey Mouse on the side, it's just the better choice.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob hit the nail on the head, the 929 is a better choice overall because of high capacity, 8 over 7, and N frame over L , which by most people's standards fit their hand a little better.

3 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

What have you got against moon clips??? - Best invention since sliced bread.

You are thinking of the 547 a K-frame with either a 3" or 4" barrel. Had a special extractor star that expanded into the extractor groove for extraction. Too expensive to manufacture.

Ray Ray, your favorite manufacturer, Charter Arms, now makes revolvers for rimless rounds (9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP) that do not require moon clips. S&W tied them up in court for several years because of the 547. They call the line the Pit Bulls. Moon clips are much better.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Moon clips suck

I want to put the rounds in and out of the gun without a tool.  And I want to be able to use the gun AS IS.  Moon clips are a pain in the ass to load and unload without a tool.

And Charter Arms can kiss my royal Polish ass.

27 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Moon clips suck

I want to put the rounds in and out of the gun without a tool.  And I want to be able to use the gun AS IS.  Moon clips are a pain in the ass to load and unload without a tool.

then use 38 special, raymond. 

25 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Moon clips suck

Why would you do it without a tool? The beauty is that you can load the clips during downtime so your range sessions are spent shooting, not individually loading and unloading the cylinder. If you are really opposed to using tools to charge and empty your clips, choose a gun for which RIMZ polymer clips are available.

Adios,

Pizza Bob<------Thinks Ray Ray's desire to load and unload each chamber individually is compensating for something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

I will say I defer to Pizza Bob on All Things revolver but I will say that I have a m85 and it has been outstanding. I do think a revolver chambered in these three calibers is pretty cool however

The M85 is arguably the best bang for your buck in this market.  I had one, and I want it back.

22 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

The M85 is arguably the best bang for your buck in this market.  I had one, and I want it back.

I agree I agree they are the best bang for the buck. I have the all steel frame one and I find it to be accurate the kick is not very bad at all and I've got several hundred rounds through it. I absolutely love it and the trigger, hold your breath, is outstanding

On 1/20/2018 at 8:02 PM, Pizza Bob said:

Why would you do it without a tool? The beauty is that you can load the clips during downtime so your range sessions are spent shooting, not individually loading and unloading the cylinder. If you are really opposed to using tools to charge and empty your clips, choose a gun for which RIMZ polymer clips are available.

Adios,

Pizza Bob<------Thinks Ray Ray's desire to load and unload each chamber individually is compensating for something.

It's all well and good until Taurus stops producing the revolver and the moon clips (or in my case with the Taurus 405, stellar clips) become unavailable from Taurus and the only place to get them is a CNC shop that sells 5 for $30.

26 minutes ago, AlexTheSane said:

It's all well and good until Taurus stops producing the revolver and the moon clips (or in my case with the Taurus 405, stellar clips) become unavailable from Taurus and the only place to get them is a CNC shop that sells 5 for $30.

That cost is not out of line. Some of the clips for S&W's run upward of $7 per clip. Discontinuation is more of a concern for off-brands than it is for S&W, where there are multiple manufacturers of clips.

The least expensive clips are for .45 ACP. Last ones I bought were $.35/ea. OTOH, clips for my .38 Super are of the $7/ea variety.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

29 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Show me a faster way to load a revolver.

Speed is irrelevant.   It's about consistancy, duraability and ease of use.  

When I carry my LCR I use the slowest method possible, speed strips.  Why?  They are flat, simple and durable. 

I'm not shooting competition with silly belts on my waist holding 30 speed loaders.  I use my LCR for CCW. 

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Must I always educate you people?  

52 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Speed is irrelevant.   It's about consistancy, duraability and ease of use.  

Speed may be very relevant. Moon clips are very consistent, durable and easy to use.

2 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Speed may be very relevant. Moon clips are very consistent, durable and easy to use.

I have said my piece, I can say no mores.

Adios, lasagna Ray