Handyman

Leather Treatment

Saddle soap is correct! Sure, there are fancy modern products out there... but the natural, breathable ingredients in saddle soap - (typically some combo of mild soap, lanolin, and beeswax) are really perfect for leather. You can't go wrong.

And dammit, I oughta know! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Saddle soap is correct! Sure, there are fancy modern products out there... but the natural, breathable ingredients in saddle soap - (typically some combo of mild soap, lanolin, and beeswax) are really perfect for leather. You can't go wrong.

And dammit, I oughta know! :D

Waddo I win! Waddo I win!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I read some crap online that said Saddle Soap is a little too alkaline for long term use. Of course, this was probably written by some boob selling one of the other products.

http://absorbine.com/products/leather-care/leather-therapy-restorer-conditioner/

This is the best stuff out there. The Smithsonian uses it on all of their leather. Not just the restore but the entire product line. I know the person who invented it whom is also a pro 2a guy from hunterdon county 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Come'on now, Handyman! Look at my picture! Same leather cat suit since the 60's - doesn't it look fabulous? As good as the day it was made. Who has more credibility here... me or @fishnut

:D

Yeah it' not like the Smithsonian knows any thing about restoring old things 

Lmao

• Like 4

On 1/20/2018 at 11:52 AM, Handyman said:

What do you guys like for conditioning old leather? I have a few things I want to spruce up, like my old jacket from the greaser days. 

Leather Milk? Leather Honey? All this crap sounds like breakfast food to me.

Handyman:

All leather ideally could use some form of treatment every 2-3 years if you want it to keep looking good and not dry out and crack.  There are a bazillion different products out there that claim to restore, rejuvenate, soften and preserve leather. Some work quite well and others are a waste of money and just short term solutions.  From my experience these two product lines have proven themselves to me over many years for the specific leathers.  Names can be misleading, so I suggest that you read some reviews before you choose what to use….

For leather jackets:  Leather Honey

It is a bit more waterier in its consistency than honey but it really works to soften the leather.  It will also tend to darken the leather color.  I use it on my dyed black lambskin leather bomber jacket and it removed the light spots where the leather tends to wear, such as at the elbows, collar and cuffs.  I hang the jacket from a pipe in the ceiling in our basement, put an old towel on the floor underneath it and brush it on nice and thick.  It will take about 8-12 hours, maybe a bit more, for it to be fully absorbed by the leather.  I let the jacket hang for at least several days to ensure it air dries completely.  Then I buff the leather with a soft cotton cloth and it is good for 1-2 years. 

Here is their web site:
https://www.leatherhoney.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5sPp09_q2AIVhzaBCh0Q6wSbEAAYASAAEgI2hvD_BwE

For Automobile leather upholstery:  Bickmore Bick

For the dyed cow hide leather in our current daily driver cars as well as my old 1961 roadster, I use Bickmore Bick leather products for cleaning, conditioning and preserving the leather upholstery on the seats, doors and dashboard.  These products have worked as advertised and served me well for over 35+ years.  The Bickmore company was founded in Old Town, Maine in the late 1800’s.  Bickmore was originally formulated and sold as a product to cure gall on horses..., that eventually evolved into various leather care products.

Here is their web site:
http://bickmore.com/products/

Both of these product lines are available via Amazon.com.
I hope this helps….

AVB-AMG

5 hours ago, Handyman said:

I think leather honey sounds like the stuff I need.

Leather Honey also sounds like the stage name of someone who co-starred with Stormy Daniels.  

• Like 3