NJ_DD

Can this “law” really go through?

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/S1000/548_I1.PDF

As we all know current NJ law states that a semi automatic rifle with a detachable magazine plus two other criteria (folding stock, flash suppressor etc) is considered to be an “Assault Rifle”. Now this bill is saying they will change it to just 1 additional criteria. (Last paragraph sums it up)

So correct me if I’m wrong, basically all AR platform rifles will now be considered an assault rifle? It is semi automatic ✅ it has a detachable magazine✅ and it has a pistol grip✅ I really hope the NRA and others are ready to fight this because this is directly against our 2A rights. Phil Murphy is really going to make this state a mess on many many levels. 

Thats correct all semi auto rifles will be banned, and dont kid yourself this will be passed into law and they wont stop there expect ammo bans and much more NJ will put NY and CA to shame 

• Like 1

Murphy will be desperate to keep at least one of his campaign promises, since most of what he ran on will be unaffordable.  My fear is he'll focus on "common sense gun laws" to distract the sheep from the rest of the cluster**** this state has become.

After that, it's the courts that will decide what stays or goes.  Or Sweeney.

5 minutes ago, Avi said:

Thats correct all semi auto rifles will be banned, and dont kid yourself this will be passed into law and they wont stop there expect ammo bans and much more NJ will put NY and CA to shame 

I mean he did say he wants to bench mark his decisions off of California and make NJ the CA of the East coast... insane. Hope we’re wrong. 

1 minute ago, mustang69 said:

Murphy will be desperate to keep at least one of his campaign promises, since most of what he ran on will be unaffordable.  My fear is he'll focus on "common sense gun laws" to distract the sheep from the rest of the cluster**** this state has become.

After that, it's the courts that will decide what stays or goes.  Or Sweeney.

Yeah including his push for a sanctuary state and raising income and property taxes (on an already heavily taxed state as im sure you’re well aware:) ) in return driving away any business in this state. I really don’t believe it. Also with the 2A, the only ones that will have firearms will be criminals leaving lawbiding citizens defenseless. Look at the article from the other day on NJ.com where two cops were robbed for a luxury SVU that was recovered stolen and being held at a POLICE TOWING YARD lol. Insane. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NJ_DD said:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/S1000/548_I1.PDF

As we all know current NJ law states that a semi automatic rifle with a detachable magazine plus two other criteria (folding stock, flash suppressor etc) is considered to be an “Assault Rifle”. Now this bill is saying they will change it to just 1 additional criteria. (Last paragraph sums it up)

So correct me if I’m wrong, basically all AR platform rifles will now be considered an assault rifle? It is semi automatic ✅ it has a detachable magazine✅ and it has a pistol grip✅ I really hope the NRA and others are ready to fight this because this is directly against our 2A rights. Phil Murphy is really going to make this state a mess on many many levels. 

Welcome to the part there spanky !

This fight has been coming for a long time an here it is at our doorstep - this is *OUR* darkest hour - but I pray that it becomes our finest - for freedom.

Apathy among gun folks in this state for the past election and prior has brough us to this point - welcome to the fight that I am sure you and other gun owners had no idea about -

You are not the first to be shocked but what they are seeing and sadly it is too late - firearms are not a HOBBY - they are first and foremost about freedom.

In the past month I have educated at least three gun owners that had no idea about the state of affairs and they are shocked - maybe this will finally wake the gun owning masses up.  Pass it on and educate others..........

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Welcome to the part there spanky !

This fight has been coming for a long time an here it is at our doorstep - this is *OUR* darkest hour - but I pray that it becomes our finest - for freedom.

Apathy among gun folks in this state for the past election and prior has brough us to this point - welcome to the fight that I am sure you and other gun owners had no idea about -

You are not the first to be shocked but what they are seeing and sadly it is too late - firearms are not a HOBBY - they are first and foremost about freedom.

In the past month I have educated at least three gun owners that had no idea about the state of affairs and they are shocked - maybe this will finally wake the gun owning masses up.  Pass it on and educate others..........

I second this sentiment.  I cannot tell you how many people have been posting to shooting range facebook posts asking if Murphy will sign new gun laws and what they may look like.  I am astounded by how many people have no idea what is going on.  No one has been awake for the past few decades/

The 2A is about creating and maintaining an armed populace - an irregular militia - to prevent a tyrannical government.  Not about sport or personal defense.  The NFA is the first big assault on the 2A.  Which ironically enough came to pass due to the violence of prohibition - and the gangs that proliferated during it.  

9 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

I second this sentiment.  I cannot tell you how many people have been posting to shooting range facebook posts asking if Murphy will sign new gun laws and what they may look like.  I am astounded by how many people have no idea what is going on.  No one has been awake for the past few decades/

The 2A is about creating and maintaining an armed populace - an irregular militia - to prevent a tyrannical government.  Not about sport or personal defense.  The NFA is the first big assault on the 2A.  Which ironically enough came to pass due to the violence of prohibition - and the gangs that proliferated during it.  

I understand where you guys are coming from. My “excuse” is I’m fairly young compared to most here and fairly new to the community. So it’s now that I’m learning more in-depth about the issue. Especially after such a drastic change in our states governing. 

• Like 1

I hate this but our only chance is Sweeney.  He used to be pro gun and pro sportsman.  I hope his big change to anti-gun was only because he knew Christie would veto his anti-gun bills.

He spends a bit of time courting the NJOA so he must see sportsman's votes as being important.  Hopefully he will be afraid of consequences if he actually hurts that group of his voters.  His district includes a lot of rural areas and a lot of hunters.

Maybe this would get the Fudds energized enough to at least vote for the 2A.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NJ_DD said:

I understand where you guys are coming from. My “excuse” is I’m fairly young compared to most here and fairly new to the community. So it’s now that I’m learning more in-depth about the issue. Especially after such a drastic change in our states governing. 

Well, welcome to the fight!  I didn't mean to sound down on you.  At least you are here now and hopefully willing to contribute to the fight.  That is more than a lot of other people.  

Everyone who is not a member please join NJ2A's if you are make sure you keep your membership current. I have made a donation to them and i encourage all who are able to do the same.  they will need everyone to come together for this fight.

1 hour ago, NJ_DD said:

:drinks:

2 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

As long as Elmer's double barrel shotgun is not threatened, the Fudd's won't care.  I am well acquainted with a few deer hunters and only one is an actual 2A advocate.  Hunter does not = 2A advocate.  Beyond bagging and tagging a couple deer every season, they don't give a rat's ass about guns.  Very narrow self interest interest that does not affect them and they are okay with it because a rifle ban would not impact them in the least.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

As long as Elmer's double barrel shotgun is not threatened, the Fudd's won't care.  I am well acquainted with a few deer hunters and only one is an actual 2A advocate.  Hunter does not = 2A advocate.  Beyond bagging and tagging a couple deer every season, they don't give a rat's ass about guns.  Very narrow self interest interest that does not affect them and they are okay with it because a rifle ban would not impact them in the least.

Starts with us, then ends up going to them sooner or later.. Hypothetically if there was a ban, I would hope they would reimburse all of us for our costs.. I mean that’s thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars lost per person. You have rifles, the optics for the rifles, ammo, all of which would be useless if they were to instate a “ban”. What good is a Trijicon scope and a stock of 5.56 ammo if I don’t have a rifle to use lol Really can’t picture all of this happening in my head. 

7 minutes ago, NJ_DD said:

Starts with us, then ends up going to them sooner or later.. Hypothetically if there was a ban, I would hope they would reimburse all of us for our costs.. I mean that’s thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars lost per person. You have rifles, the optics for the rifles, ammo, all of which would be useless if they were to instate a “ban”. What good is a Trijicon scope and a stock of 5.56 ammo if I don’t have a rifle to use lol Really can’t picture all of this happening in my head. 

Best you make peace in your mind that:

a) They are not going to pay you for your stuff - one day you will go to bed and the next morning you will wake up a felon

b) You need to decide what your pain tolerance is, move things out of state - sell now at a major loss - defy the law etc.  You need to get it right in your head cause it is coming.

c) Lastly - picture it - then picture it again and once more for good measure.  Elections have consequences - maybe you need to educate more of your shooting friends that this *IS* very well going to happen and the only thing stopping it *MAYBE* is a lawsuit....*maybe*

Look to NY/CA/MA etc. for the model that you will be part of only - NJ will be worse

• Like 1

Get ready for a screwing! Or get your FFL NOW! Get a C&R, gives you a leg to stand on!. There are 180 C&Rs in NJ. If everyone applied for one?

Just now, 1563621 said:

Get ready for a screwing! Or get your FFL NOW! Get a C&R, gives you a leg to stand on!. There are 180 C&Rs in NJ. If everyone applied for one?

For me - I do not want anyone from the ATF inspecting my home - my books or anything.  Why given anyone an open door to just show up and look around........  but that is just an opinion.

• Like 2

I'm very worried about this bill since I've got 7 of this style rifles. In the characteristics they've also included; a second hand grip or protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand. Guess that does away with my AFG's. Also included, if I read the bill correctly, you can't even have a muzzle brake on your gun. A semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics; (vi) a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator or grenade launcher.

Gun Owners of America (GOA) have a list of people on the Law & Public Safety Committee to call and ask them to vote no on this bill. Unfortunately 4 of the 6 are Democrats.

It's also very difficult when gun owners only comprise approx.10% of the votes in NJ.

We're in for a tough fight here. I guess they feel all law abiding gun owners will one day go nuts and shoot people. Someone said this is not about Gun Control, but Gun Owner Control!

3 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I hate this but our only chance is Sweeney.  He used to be pro gun and pro sportsman.  I hope his big change to anti-gun was only because he knew Christie would veto his anti-gun bills.

He spends a bit of time courting the NJOA so he must see sportsman's votes as being important.  Hopefully he will be afraid of consequences if he actually hurts that group of his voters.  His district includes a lot of rural areas and a lot of hunters.

I met Steve Sweeney at the Gloucester County Fair last summer while volunteering at the NRA-ILA table.  He was out-going, knew what we were about, polite, and asked us how we were being treated by the public and other vendors.  Needless to say, we had a nice experience during the Fair's run.

4 minutes ago, JordanPeugeot said:

It's also very difficult when gun owners only comprise approx.10% of the votes in NJ.

I believe that is a gross under representation.  I'd say it's closer to 30% of homes have firearms and in many of them both husband and wife shoot.  The problem is not the % of gun owners, it's the gun owners that don't own black rifles and do not feel threatened by a ban.

• Like 2

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

I believe that is a gross under representation.  I'd say it's closer to 30% of homes have firearms and in many of them both husband and wife shoot.  The problem is not the % of gun owners, it's the gun owners that don't own black rifles and do not feel threatened by a ban.

Perhaps you are correct, I was quoting numbers I had seen in an article. And yes if they don't own black guns they don't care.

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Does anyone know when this vote will take place? Time frame wise. The NRA should use NJ as a benchmark case to go against the lefts fight on the 2A. Nothing federally can be done to overrule? Trump ran on a “I have the gun owners backs and I will protect the 2A” campaign. Well this, is a time to act on that. This is worse than CA which already was insane to begin with. 

At least you are all waking up to the problems that have been ongoing since - oh say 2012 and earlier - welcome to the aggida.

19 minutes ago, JordanPeugeot said:

I'm very worried about this bill since I've got 7 of this style rifles. In the characteristics they've also included; a second hand grip or protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand. Guess that does away with my AFG's. Also included, if I read the bill correctly, you can't even have a muzzle brake on your gun. A semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics; (vi) a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator or grenade launcher.

Gun Owners of America (GOA) have a list of people on the Law & Public Safety Committee to call and ask them to vote no on this bill. Unfortunately 4 of the 6 are Democrats.

We're in for a tough fight here. I guess they feel all law abiding gun owners will one day go nuts and shoot people. Someone said this is not about Gun Control, but Gun Owner Control!

Yes - unless there is an act of God - you are shite out of luck - I won ONE and it pisses me off........it will reside out of state if it passes.

15 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

ISN'T tthere something in the works that's gonna screw with their scatterguns too?

There was a no declared mention in a thread that they are going after the barrel length of HD pump shotties - it is rumor and I have not seen anything in writing.  if you have a pump 20" shottie for HD I cannot for the life of me see a problem.

The problem is that you can only go by what is being shown and not heresay, which I think that is.

The first step in the State's process of turning S548 into bad law is to have it approved by the Senate Law and Public Safety Committee.

The next meeting of that committee is scheduled for this Thursday Jan 28 at 10:30 AM

There are currently 104 bills awaiting hearing in this committee, of which S548 is just one.

Only 6 bills are listed on Thursday's agenda as of right now, but that does not mean that won't change by meeting time.

The members of the committee are:

Greenstein, Linda R. - Chair
Diegnan, Patrick J. - Vice-Chair
Bateman, Christopher   
Cryan, Joseph P.   
O'Scanlon, Declan J.   
Sacco, Nicholas J.   

• Like 1

S332 All-terrain veh.-concerns crimes        
S339 Hist. sites-estab. crim mischief offense        
S378 Fire & EMS Crisis Intervention Svc-estab        
S383 Driv. Distractions Task Force-creates        
S785 Correction officers-req. police training        
S842 Inmates, cert.-random drug testing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

I don’t know we can assume they don’t care. Or wouldn’t care if they knew. It could simply be that they do not know. Think about it, how many of you would know anything about this if you weren’t plugged into various 2A outlets.  

A large percentage of firearm owning public could be the type that bought a firearm for HD and it sits in a safe. They may not even get to a range. If they’re not exposed to the message they can’t voice their objection. 

I’ll be honest, that was me. Until I joined this site I would have been against “scary black rifles”. I wouldn’t have known any better.  

• Like 1