Hi, folks,

I plan to move back to NYC in 2018 because of my work. I know that NYC firearm permit application takes at least 6 months and cost ~$300, so I might just save all the hassle and leave all my firearms in NJ. 

So here come the questions: 

1. How hard is it to change the address on my FID to an NYC address (this means to change my FID from resident type to out-of-state type)? As a bit of background: I spent a month to get my FID and PP approved. 

2. Is it legal to keep my firearm in NJ self-storage while I'm staying in NYC? I don't want to sell them at this point because I still need them to hunt, but bring my AR15 and Glocks to NYC is not an option as I don't have an NYC license and some of my firearms are banned in NYC. 

Thanks a lot in advance. 

I could be wrong but here is the way I see it.

If you are no longer a resident of NJ, why have a NJ FPID card? I am not aware of a provision for a non resident FPID card.

You can keep your guns anywhere if not prohibited as long as only you have access to them. For example, locked in a safe and you alone have the key. I would not suggest you make any long term storage plans for any "black rifles" in NJ. Move them instead to a free state such as PA.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

If you are no longer a resident of NJ, why have a NJ FPID card? I am not aware of a provision for a non resident FPID card.

I checked the NJSP website and it seems there actually is an "out of state resident" FID: 

How do you obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun?

You must apply at your local police department. If you do not have a local police department or you are an out of state resident, you must apply at the nearest New Jersey State Police station (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway).

Out of State residents may only apply for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. For any further information outlining specific requirements, contact your police department or nearest New Jersey State Police station.

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

PA seems doable. Thanks for the advice. 

Non resident FID is useful if you want to buy handgun ammo, buy long guns, and want to be able to legally possess long guns without using an exemption per NJSA 2c:39-6. AFAIK leaving your guns in a self storage unit is a no go, especially the handguns, as you would be out of exemption simply going there with them. Out of exemption = illegal possession of a handgun. 

Gunsitters.com is an option (they have a location in Whippany), but as others have said, upcoming NJ gun laws will likely make your guns and magazines illegal pretty soon anyway. Their Easton, PA location would be a better bet for long term storage in a free state. 

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

Yes on private property only for coyote and groundhogs. But many Nj hunters travel out of state to hunt and the AR is a great platform to hunt with

You are not limited to private property during the special coyote/fox season with rifle. (All you need are the $2 permit + rifle permit  + valid hunting license.) Groundhogs YES restricted and always when it comes to rifle on WMA's, coyote/fox NO.

From the 2017-2018 Digest regarding the special season: 

"Coyote and fox hunting are allowed on WMAs including all legal sporting arms listed in the table on page 54." 

Rifles allowed: 

Muzzleloading rifle: single-shot, single barrel no less than .44 caliber. Flintlock, percussion and in-line ignitions permitted, loaded only with a single projectile, either round ball or conical bullet. Electronic ignitions prohibited.

Centerfire rifles: From .17 to maximum of .25 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 80 grains.

Rimfire rifles: From .17 to maximum of .22 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 50 grains.

A modern rifle magazine need not be pinned (plugged), but may be loaded with no more than three cartridges. 

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2017/dighnt17.pdf

10 minutes ago, Parker said:

You are not limited to private property during the special coyote/fox season with rifle. (All you need are the $2 permit + rifle permit  + valid hunting license.) Groundhogs YES restricted and always when it comes to rifle on WMA's, coyote/fox NO.

From the 2017-2018 Digest regarding the special season: 

"Coyote and fox hunting are allowed on WMAs including all legal sporting arms listed in the table on page 54." 

Rifles allowed: 

Muzzleloading rifle: single-shot, single barrel no less than .44 caliber. Flintlock, percussion and in-line ignitions permitted, loaded only with a single projectile, either round ball or conical bullet. Electronic ignitions prohibited.

Centerfire rifles: From .17 to maximum of .25 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 80 grains.

Rimfire rifles: From .17 to maximum of .22 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 50 grains.

A modern rifle magazine need not be pinned (plugged), but may be loaded with no more than three cartridges. 

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2017/dighnt17.pdf

That's right, I was just thinking about groundhogs. 

• Like 1

Depending on where you live in NYC you will need to go to an assigned state police barracks.  You can get an FPID card as an out of state resident entitling you to long gun purchase, ammo purchases but I don’t believe pistol permits.  I am not sure why you care unless you will acquire more guns at NJ dealers.  You do not need it to transport or own the guns you legally acquired.  As for NYC, I have no idea what guns you think you can acquire will living there.  I live there part time but have all my firearms at my home in FL.  

If you are moving there because that’s where work is then I completely understand because commuting to NYC sucks as much as anything can suck.  I just moved to Central Park South across from the Met and just north of Columbus Cirlce on Broadway.  Good luck because not commuting will give you hours of your life to do other things and may give you years at the end by removing a major point of stress. 

As far as your current stash I’d probably liquidate and repurchase when the time is right.

12 hours ago, BobA said:

If you move and have a NY drivers license and the address does not match your NJ FID card you might have a problem right there. Take them with you. 

This is not true your FPID and DL DO NOT need to match.  That is something made up by someone and then perpetuated incorrectly.  Many threads where I’ve explained this.  And, in this particular case, he would have his NYC address on both.  

• Like 1

I second PNG’s recommendation of Gunsitters (Whippany and Easton, Pa).  Depending on your exact circumstances, this could be a good option for you. 

(I am a past customer of their Whippany location.)

5 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

This is not true your FPID and DL DO NOT need to match.  That is something made up by someone and then perpetuated incorrectly.  Many threads where I’ve explained this.  And, in this particular case, he would have his NYC address on both.  

^^^^THIS^^^^

I was chatting with a retired LEO today.  He was under the incorrect assumption that you had to surrender your NJFPID card when moving from one Jersey town to another (because his new town CLEO's secretary told him as much).  I informed him he should of used his head & had a tragic boating accident :) .  Then his mind was really "blown" when I told him that carrying the NJFPID card on your person isn't required to transport firearms, as it was never printed in the 2C statutes.  I told him as long as he applied for it & it was granted, that he was covered by the exemptions contained therein.  His "SBI Number" is his "ticket to ride", lol!

It's amazin' how many gun owners listen to Pink Card holders (that don't know Jack SH!T) as if they were GODS!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

^^^^THIS^^^^

I was chatting with a retired LEO today.  He was under the incorrect assumption that you had to surrender your NJFPID card when moving from one Jersey town to another (because his new town CLEO's secretary told him as much).  I informed him he should of used his head & had a tragic boating accident :) .  Then his mind was really "blown" when I told him that carrying the NJFPID card on your person isn't required to transport firearms, as it was never printed in the 2C statutes.  I told him as long as he applied for it & it was granted, that he was covered by the exemptions contained therein.  His "SBI Number" is his "ticket to ride", lol!

It's amazin' how many gun owners listen to Pink Card holders (that don't know Jack SH!T) as if they were GODS!

True, but I will say that it is easier and typically quicker for a LEO to determine if you are indeed an FID holder if you have it with you at the time. ;) If I am not mistaken, LEOs are instructed to treat you as if you don't have an FID until it can be definitively shown that you are indeed an FID holder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Persona non grata said:

True, but I will say that it is easier and typically quicker for a LEO to determine if you are indeed an FID holder if you have it with you at the time. ;) If I am not mistaken, LEOs are instructed to treat you as if you don't have an FID until it can be definitively shown that you are indeed an FID holder.

For hand guns it doesn't matter because yer still a serf that's subjected to the "Directly to & from Rule" (now w/ "reasonable deviations") whether you have a NJFPID card in your possession or not.  FID's are nuthin' special. They just mean you can buy pistol ammo in Joisey & you're legal to have an unloaded long gun in a Shop Rite parking lot, thru a bank drive-up, parked outside the post office, dry cleaners, etc., as you go about your daily errands.  Plenty of out-of-state shooters & competitors come to Joisey every weekend to go bang with all 3 firearm platforms.  Instructions aren't given to treat people like second class citizens.  Hunters carrying scatterguns afield may do so as unattended minors at age 16(?), and their hunting license trumps a NJFPID card since they can't even apply for one until they're at least 18 years of age :) .  Guess where I keep my hunting vest & license?  Yep, in my car's trunk...

Guys like me memorize our SBI Numbers.  An easy "look-up".  Yeah, I'm THAT weird, lol!  Been behind the trigger for over 46 years now.  I'm NOT afraid cause I KNOW the law........  Take care & enjoy your rights while ya still have 'em!

Thanks ya all’s answer. Really helpful. 

I called gunsitters yesterday: 

- $55/mo for 5 rifle+5 handgun storage

- I can add a co-signer to the storage, which means my girlfriend, who also works in NYC can put her firearms in the same storage

- Insurance is not included but my renters insurance covers firearms so I’ll be fine

Sounds like the best solution for us now. Transfer custody of my guns to gunsitters now and go get them whenever we need them. 

I really appreciate all the law discussions. But you don’t want to take any chance with LE when LEs are not held accountable for anything they do. Remember that DB guy who got fired for being falsely arrested? $20k settlement from police is not barely worth getting fired for it. If you are being uncooperative, police can so easily fuck up your life and you don’t want to go down that same track as that poor guy from DB. Feel so bad for him, but come on this is the reality in the United States. 

Best. 

On 1/23/2018 at 11:49 PM, bigpartnership said:

I checked the NJSP website and it seems there actually is an "out of state resident" FID: 

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

Yes, but be ready for the troopers at the station to give you a hard time. I've heard numerous reports of troopers telling out of state residents (primarily New Yorkers) that it isn't possible - and were belligerently adamant so. Expect to need to contact the NJSP FIU in Trenton to get them to do their job.