lhrocker

Which of the two would be a better buy?

I'm looking to get a precison rifle in 6.5 Creedmore and I narrowed it down to the Savage 10 Stealth and Mossberg MVP LC.  I own 2 Rugers and 2 Savages, so I know how they shoot.  I've been curious about Mossberg rifles as I am more familiar with their shotguns.  So if you had to pick from these 2, which would it be?  And I haven't ruled out the Ruger Precision, I just like Savage and wanted to know about the Mossberg.

6 minutes ago, lhrocker said:

I'm looking to get a precison rifle in 6.5 Creedmore and I narrowed it down to the Savage 10 Stealth and Mossberg MVP LC.  I own 2 Rugers and 2 Savages, so I know how they shoot.  I've been curious about Mossberg rifles as I am more familiar with their shotguns.  So if you had to pick from these 2, which would it be?  And I haven't ruled out the Ruger Precision, I just like Savage and wanted to know about the Mossberg.

I have not read good things about the mvp.

I would go Savage as rebarreling is a snap if you want to change caliber in the future. 

I like Savage stuff. I’d own them if someone would produce a true 2-stage trigger for them. A Timney CE would be the one I’d want, personally. 

• Like 2

I agree with HE and to wait until after Shot Show. 

But of those options, Ruger RPR is a really good choice. I never used the stock barrel but apparently its a good shooter. I really like the stock trigger. The folder mechanism makes it easy to travel with. Built in 20 MOA rail. Handguards are interchangeable with most AR15 handguards. Same with stock. Lot of aftermarket support for barrels and triggers now as well. 

Im just waiting on Nightforce to send out my scope so I can finally shoot the dang thing...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I know, I know.....

I can’t remember who, and I have gotten bombarded with SHOT stuff and I can’t find the article...

Remington.  http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/01/chris-heuss/new-from-remington-700-pcr-precision-chassis-rifle/   Street supposed to be under 1K

Tanners in PA did have 62 Ruger RPRs in 6.5C up for sale recently $950. Don't know current status.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, T Bill said:

Remington.  http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/01/chris-heuss/new-from-remington-700-pcr-precision-chassis-rifle/   Street supposed to be under 1K

Tanners in PA did have 62 Ruger RPRs in 6.5C up for sale recently $950. Don't know current status.

Tanners is my pensltucky bff most favoritest place ever! Have yet to purchase from them. 

26 minutes ago, T Bill said:

That’s it! Thanks bro.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Tanners is my pensltucky bff most favoritest place ever! Have yet to purchase from them. 

Well what's ya waiting for?  Hard to beat their special deals most days and the NICS is cheaper.

So, I couldn't find the Savage anywhere to check out, so I went to Tanners today to check out the RPR.  They had it in stock for $950, so with NICS and tax, it came out to $1017.  Also got a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24.  This is my purchase for the year... lol.  It was great - in and out in under an hour.  NICS only took about 20 min and they installed and bore sighted the scope for me.  Can't beat that.  Not bad for a 2 hour drive.  I was going to go to the range tomorrow, but with everything I bought, I forgot to buy ammo.  Maybe I'll stop by Dicks in Easton before going to EFGA.

• Like 1

I know im late on commenting...

The Ruger rpr is, imo, the best value for an entry precision rifle.  How good?  If you decide to compete with it, its plenty good enough up to an "intermediate" level.  

The biggest downside is the aftermarket and customizing options.  To use a car analogy, the Ruger is like an AMC engine where a 700 pattern action is the small block Chevy.

4 hours ago, lhrocker said:

Hopefully this upcoming weekend!

Want a full report! Both scope and rifle. This is on my list, but my wife list seems to take priority.

And for you guys that want a shooter wife, careful what you wish for. 1 is 2, not 2 is 1