Ray Ray

Steel-cased ammo, still a no go?

Wolf polyformance Black box looks like a winner here.  Here's a vid showing a pulled bullet not sticking to a magnet.

In my experience, the magnet test is pretty standard..  Wish I had seen this before buying all that surplus Yugo M67 brass cased ammo lol.  

• Like 1

Just reading this thread, trying to determine steel versus brass case (in 223) for indoor range. Is it generally considered a no-go for steel case indoors at most ranges in the area? Does it vary at different ranges?

Big difference in case prices of steel versus brass, but if the RO gives you a hard time about it, do you just suck it up and buy the brass case to be safe?

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

Just reading this thread, trying to determine steel versus brass case (in 223) for indoor range. Is it generally considered a no-go for steel case indoors at most ranges in the area? Does it vary at different ranges?

Big difference in case prices of steel versus brass, but if the RO gives you a hard time about it, do you just suck it up and buy the brass case to be safe?

I've shot steel case at RTSP before without issue.   Its the bullet head itself that matters.. no steel core ammo is allowed. No green tip/red tip... Cant speak for the other indoor ranges. I dont buy it anymore though as the cheaper ammo runs really dirty... for which my experience with that has been Wolf and TulAmmo... I use neither brand anymore but It does goes bang though when you pull the trigger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Just use brass cased ammo and save your brass.  You'll thank me later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

After shopping around, I've gotten .223/5.56 for cheaper than Steel case recently.  Just get brass for .223.  You can resell the brass or even scrap it... or reload.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lakota said:

I dont buy it anymore though as the cheaper ammo runs really dirty...

That's what I've experienced with the handgun ammo, so I only shoot decent brass now. I didn't think going to steel case in 223, even though I've seen it almost $100 lower on a case, would be worth it.

59 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

After shopping around, I've gotten .223/5.56 for cheaper than Steel case recently.  Just get brass for .223.  You can resell the brass or even scrap it... or reload.

I've been searching around the normal sources and haven't seen any brass near the steel prices. Care to give a source?

Not interested in reloading, but maybe I'll save the brass and make wifey a nice necklace and matching bracelet. :)

MidwayUSA had 1200 rounds of IMI M193 (55gr FMJ) 5.56 for $290 shipped... comes to 25 cents a round.  I see steel cased for $210 + $16 shipping from SGAmmo which comes to about 22.5 cents/round.  For the extra 2.5 cents you can recycle/reuse/sell the brass...  

1 minute ago, Sniper22 said:

Thanks for that info. Have you actually shot the IMI stuff? Any issues? How clean is it?

I have a ton of the IMI 556 and it shoots great.  Mine have been clean burning and no issues at all.  For me, any steel cased ammo burned incredibly dirty...  It was worth it to spend some extra coin to avoid having to clean the gun more often

IMI Israeli Military Ind. the "Lake City" of the middle east. Very good stuff.  Keep that brass, it's worth something.  Ammo sales are flat, keep looking, stuff shows up but goes fast on sale.  Like Krdshrk mentioned, was around for a short time then back up in price.  Wholesalers are looking to move stuff, cash poor at the moment.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:14 PM, Ray Ray said:

So, is all steel cased ammo steel core?

And define "questionable ammo".  

Not steel core. Bi-metal jacket, copper washed steel jacket, zinc plated steel jacket etc. 

For a period back around maybe 2003-2004, wolf was steel cased copper jacketed. 

Currently, the ONLY steel cased ammo not using bullets that are a fire hazard for indoor ranges that I know of are the hornady steel match, and winchester forged brands. 

Cheap fucktards being what they are, I wouldn't risk my business and insurance policy by trusting they won't buy one box of that stuff and just dump in the cheapest shit they can find. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 5:22 PM, Sniper22 said:

Thanks for that info. Have you actually shot the IMI stuff? Any issues? How clean is it?

Shoots nicely .. just be careful with the green tip "penetrator" IMI stuff.   Some indoor ranges such as RTSP does not allow it as it apparently seems to go through their backstops. Cant speak to the other ranges