Sign in to follow this  

New member from Somerset County

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum from Somerset County. I’ve been a gun owner since 2015 in New Jersey, owning nothing but rifles.

I recently sold my Colt LE6920 M4 which I regret doing:

edda94bee836f02087bdc3975c20d247.jpg

I did however recently pick up my dream carbine that I’ve had my eyes on for some time now, the LWRCI IC-SPR:

f5e77e83a78d89e7fb0c0416ffc995f3.jpg

I currently have on order a Sig Sauer 716 DMR & a P365. Not sure what the future of guns brings to New Jersey but I am a member at Easton Fish & Game and occasionally shoot at RTSP in Randolph or Tactical Training Center in Flemington. If anyone in Somerset, Hunterdon or Morris County or anywhere in North & Central Jersey is looking for a shooting buddy, let me know I’m always up for a range day!

I’m also a USMC veteran, I served 6 years. I’m a big fan of the AR10 & AR15 platform, a beginner with pistols and I’m always open to learning about different weapons systems.

4 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Welcome and thank you for your service!

I'm in Bridgewater, so I'm close.  Pick up some Shotguns and join us for the clay shoots at Clinton WMA!

I've actually never shot a shotgun before, other than shooting a .22 lever action rifle in the boyscouts when I was a kid, my first actual experience holding a gun and getting training was on an M16A4 in Bootcamp and then learning all the basic weapons systems of the Marine Corps. I also know there's a WMA trap range in Chester at Black River, but never been!

When do you guys typically meet? 

I also applied to SCFGPA, but need a sponsor. I moved to Somerset County (Bedminster) of the spring of last year from Morris County, so I don't know too many people down here. However I was recommended to join Easton Fish & Game from a few local ffl's. 

Usually once a month - however we haven't had anything planned out yet because of the winter time.  

SCFGPA has some openings... I'm a member, but my sponsorships are all used up.  You may find other members here who are able to sponsor you however.

Good to know, joining SCFGPA all depends on what murphy does here, if he starts making further restrictions on AR's, I'll continue taking my rifles to PA and other states to shoot :) not like there are many places here to shoot them properly anyways.

57 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

Good to know, joining SCFGPA all depends on what murphy does here, if he starts making further restrictions on AR's, I'll continue taking my rifles to PA and other states to shoot :) not like there are many places here to shoot them properly anyways.

You'll want to look at the current and future laws carefully.   Taking the ARs to PA to shoot likely won't be an option, if possession and transport become illegal (at least while the hoped-for court challenges get sorted out).   Gunsitters does have a PA location where you could rent space to store them out of state.

I also recommend SCFGPA as a range, but like Krdshrk, I've used up my allowed sponsorship recommendations.  (hey, does anyone know when the recommendation clock resets?)

We’ll see. My view is if they have no justifiable cause to search you for your weapons, then they can’t. Also when you’re driving with a gun, don’t give them a reason to pull you over :)

25 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

We’ll see. My view is if they have no justifiable cause to search you for your weapons, then they can’t. Also when you’re driving with a gun, don’t give them a reason to pull you over :)

I love your optimism, it's refreshing.  But in PRNJ they can "reasonable cause" pretty much anything if they want to.  

I love your optimism, it's refreshing.  But in PRNJ they can "reasonable cause" pretty much anything if they want to.  

I’m not trying to argue here, but when I drive to the range or wherever else i’m bringing my rifles, I am a model citizen driver. 2 car length follow rule, always the speed limit, 2 hands on the wheel. Extra alert, I give them no reason to pull me over. I’ve never met an anti-gun cop but we both know how NJ views guns and would probably be in handcuffs regardless of whether I had everything to be NJ compliant or not. A fabricated story about a gun owner looks like a win for the police department.

Based on today’s press conference, all of us AR & AK owners better hold our breath there isn’t another mass shooting with one of these rifles somewhere in the country, that will be NJ’s death sentence for owning a normal looking AR

39 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

I’m not trying to argue here, but when I drive to the range or wherever else i’m bringing my rifles, I am a model citizen driver. 2 car length follow rule, always the speed limit, 2 hands on the wheel. Extra alert, I give them no reason to pull me over. I’ve never met an anti-gun cop but we both know how NJ views guns and would probably be in handcuffs regardless of whether I had everything to be NJ compliant or not. A fabricated story about a gun owner looks like a win for the police department.

Based on today’s press conference, all of us AR & AK owners better hold our breath there isn’t another mass shooting with one of these rifles somewhere in the country, that will be NJ’s death sentence for owning a normal looking AR

I wasn't trying to give you a hard time; and I agree with you.  However. I've seen too many stories about people being completely law abiding and still ending up on the wrong side of the law.  Look at Brian Aitken.

I agree, we'll see what happens I guess. Where in Morris County are you? I grew up in Roxbury, lived in Morristown for a while, live in Bridgewater area now.

Welcome.  I'm not far from you.  Once weather warms up if you would like I can guest you in at EFGA (Easton Fish & Game Assoc).  It's prob about 45 minutes to an hour from you depending on traffic.

Definetly join us at one of the Shotgun Shootouts (clay shoots).  Right off exit 13 on 78.  A LOT of fun and you get to meet many of the forum members.

Welcome.  I'm not far from you.  Once weather warms up if you would like I can guest you in at EFGA (Easton Fish & Game Assoc).  It's prob about 45 minutes to an hour from you depending on traffic.

Definetly join us at one of the Shotgun Shootouts (clay shoots).  Right off exit 13 on 78.  A LOT of fun and you get to meet many of the forum members.

I’m a member at EFGA as well, I was there last weekend when it was warm. would be happy to join you one day.