Lancer506

How can I register my .45?

Hello everyone! 

I know I am a new member, which after reading the thread that lead to me creating my account, seems to sketch some people out. I am simply here because I am new to the world of firearms, ranges, etc.

That being said, I have a problem and am seeking answers. I’m currently waiting to hear back about my purchasers permit, and pistol permit. When I get the thumbs up, I would like to legally register a WWI 1911 that my grandfather had owned. He passed away two years ago, and left my brother and I a firearm collection, mostly antique, with a few “modern” firearms such as an M1 Garland, Lee Enfields, Arisakas, Springfield’s, etc. The problem lies with the paperwork, I don’t think there is any, at least for the pistol I am talking about in this particular situation. 

My grandfather, who was a police officer from 1963 until 1998, found this .45 on the job at some point and was allowed to keep it, it sat on his mantle ever since. Seeing there is no paperwork, it’s unregistered is and my grandfather is now deceased I have no idea how to go about it. According to my parents (I’m 21) his will did state that the firearm collection went to my brother and I, however I don’t know if it specifically said Antique, or listed the weapons as I have never seen the will. I know I may not be providing the right information but this is what I know as of now. All I want to do is legally register the firearm so I can take it to the range, along with others in due time. 

If anyone knows how I should go about this, I’m all ears! And in advance, thank you for your help. 

There is no need to register that firearm.  If you inheritied legally, the firearm is NJ compliant and you are not a prohibited person you need to do nothing.  

• Like 9

If you REALLY want to register it you can at your local PD, but it isn’t required as @Rob0115 said. Inherited handguns don’t need to be registered and require no pistol permit. You just need to be eligible (not prohibited) to own it.

You can go to the range with it, but just be mindful that you must comply with NJSA 2c:39-6, which basically means directly to and from the range with no deviations, cased or locked in trunk, unloaded. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

There is no need to register that firearm.  If you inheritied legally, the firearm is NJ compliant and you are not a prohibited person you need to do nothing.  

^This is correct.  If the guns were willed to you there is no registration or paperwork needed.  The executor of the will just hands them over.  No paperwork or permits needed.

Personna non grata is also correct (he posted his response while I was typing this)

• Like 3

never register anything VOLUNTARILY - do not look to read more into this other than what @Rob0115 and @GRIZ and others has stated - he is 100% correct IMO.

I will not be in NJ - but if I died tomorrow my entire collection can be inherited by my wife via will.

Pics of the WW11 45 is REQUIRED IN ANOTHER THREAD !!!!  :)

• Like 2

Excellent! Thank you everyone! I’ll be sure to secure a copy of the will to keep with the firearms at all times, I don’t want to be harassed by police in any way shape or form. 

Last question should anyone have an answer. If the will does not list the guns (there are over 50) or lists them as “Antique” which of course some do now, would I still be covered if they were left to me? I just want to know it in and out as I couldn’t ever afford to replace these guns should they be confiscated. Thanks again! 

11 minutes ago, Lancer506 said:

Excellent! Thank you everyone! I’ll be sure to secure a copy of the will to keep with the firearms at all times, I don’t want to be harassed by police in any way shape or form. 

Last question should anyone have an answer. If the will does not list the guns (there are over 50) or lists them as “Antique” which of course some do now, would I still be covered if they were left to me? I just want to know it in and out as I couldn’t ever afford to replace these guns should they be confiscated. Thanks again! 

It's not abnormal for wills to not list everything on an itemized basis.  The law (NJSP FAQ below) does not state it needs to be itemized in the will.  You should be fine.

If I inherit a firearm what must I do?

Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3j, a firearm purchaser identification card and/or a handgun purchase permit shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to his/her heir or legatee, whether the same by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. The firearm must be legal to possess in New Jersey and the person receiving the firearm shall not be prohibited by N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3c before receiving the firearm. If the heir or legatee does not qualify to acquire and possess the firearm, then ownership may be retained for a period not to exceed 180 days provided the firearm is transferred to the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality or the superintendent during such period.

never register anything VOLUNTARILY - do not look to read more into this other than what [mention=3704]Rob0115[/mention] and [mention=1198]GRIZ[/mention] and others has stated - he is 100% correct IMO.

I will not be in NJ - but if I died tomorrow my entire collection can be inherited by my wife via will.

Pics of the WW11 45 is REQUIRED IN ANOTHER THREAD !!!!  [emoji4]

I don’t believe wife even needs to be willed. Wife gets them automatically as long as qualifies. Anyone else, then a will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lancer506 said:

See GunsnFreedom's answer.  100% correct.

NJ doesn't recognize any firearm as antique as Federal and most state laws do.  An original matchlock from the 1500s is treated like a new AR as far as NJ is concerned.

If it makes you feel better keep a copy of the will with the firearms but that is not necessary.  It is up to the police to prove you possess these guns illegally not your job to prove you possess them legally.

Follow the transport laws. About 18 months ago the NJ AG clarified reasonable deviation.  You can stop for gas, use the bathroom,  eat, pick up and discharge passengers and other reasonable deviations. Get your FPID so you can purchase ammo and you can ride around with an unloaded long gun in your trunk.

• Like 1

There are 1000s of handguns people purchased legally in other states and moved to o NJ. Most of these guns are not registered.  If you sell a gun like that it doesn't raise any eyebrows with NJSP.  If you sell 4 or 5 at one time it might.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

never register anything VOLUNTARILY - do not look to read more into this other than what @Rob0115 and @GRIZ and others has stated - he is 100% correct IMO.

Pics of the WW11 45 is REQUIRED IN ANOTHER THREAD !!!!  :)

I’ll post the few photos of it that I have to another forum shortly, and maybe later tonight or this weekend I’ll take it out for pics. From what I recall it’s serial number was in the 200,000’s and when checking the date of manufacture I believe it was in 1917 ~ Originally thought it was from 1912 so unless I have the serial number wrong the gun was made toward the later years of WWI

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

There are 1000s of handguns people purchased legally in other states and moved to o NJ. Most of these guns are not registered.  If you sell a gun like that it doesn't raise any eyebrows with NJSP.  If you sell 4 or 5 at one time it might.

Exactly.   I moved to NJ from Ohio and brought guns with me.  Most I still have, a few I sold. I did not, nor would I ever even consider registering them.   I also inherited firearms from my father and step-father, both were residents of the State of Ohio when they died.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lancer506 said:

I’ll post the few photos of it that I have to another forum shortly, and maybe later tonight or this weekend I’ll take it out for pics. From what I recall it’s serial number was in the 200,000’s and when checking the date of manufacture I believe it was in 1917 ~ Originally thought it was from 1912 so unless I have the serial number wrong the gun was made toward the later years of WWI

200,000 would be Colt WWI manufacture.

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

This thread is interesting.

You thinking what I’m thinking?  Not saying I get paranoid about low posters first posts being about gun laws. There I didn’t say it. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

You thinking what I’m thinking?  Not saying I get paranoid about low posters first posts being about gun laws. There I didn’t say it. 

Everyone is new once. And I’d add, this is exactly what the bill of rights is for... on your page.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

Nothing is coincidental 

You should be wary.....  at this point and time, penetration of a community to gain trust, knowledge and opinion, is and would be a very advantageous tactic.

I would do it......  should I be them.

Some would argue that they do not need us. ..they r not that smart.....etc....

Beg to differmmmthey r foxes in the henhouse......

Our 1 a lounge is a joke.....  should be locked damn shut ....  

You wouldnt believe...or you might,that which gets posted here ends up on search engines.....  

It' a failure on many levels ...those that post certain things that are too forthcoming might be enlighten by a quick search

Just sayin

There. I said it 

Hey guys, I understand where you’re all coming from about the whole trust issues with being a new poster. You can never be too safe. For the little it may be worth I am simply a college student looking to finally get into firearms. Been around them my whole life thanks to my pop, but of course because of the state we live in I’ve admired them for the most part on the walls collecting dust. I posted my question here for two reasons.

1.) To Save some time 

2.) To hear multiple opinions and viewpoints and try to find the common facts within, which in turn would help me figure out the answer I had been seeking. 

So thanks for everything, and I know now what I’ll do! I’m sure I’ll be back on the forums in time with the new found hobby. 

See GunsnFreedom's answer.  100% correct. NJ doesn't recognize any firearm as antique as Federal and most state laws do.  An original matchlock from the 1500s is treated like a new AR as far as NJ is concerned. If it makes you feel better keep a copy of the will with the firearms but that is not necessary.  It is up to the police to prove you possess these guns illegally not your job to prove you possess them legally.

Follow the transport laws. About 18 months ago the NJ AG clarified reasonable deviation.  You can stop for gas, use the bathroom,  eat, pick up and discharge passengers and other reasonable deviations. Get your FPID so you can purchase ammo and you can ride around with an unloaded long gun in your trunk.

What is your interpretation of NJ antique longgun law?  "Antique firearm" means any firearm which is incapable of being fired or discharged, or which does not fire fixed

ammunition regardless of date of manufacture, or was manufactured before 1898 for which cartridge ammunition is not

commercially available, and is possessed as a curiosity or ornament or for its historical significance or value.

Longgun made prior to 1898 that cartridge ammo is not commercially available no FPID or FFL needed. Antiques include Black Powder Longgun, Swiss Vetterli, and other such rifles. Mosin Nagant is not considered an antique in NJ no matter when it is made.

Antique handguns including matchlocks are treated the same as Glocks, but a Musket is not treated the same as an AR.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I understand where you’re all coming from about the whole trust issues with being a new poster. You can never be too safe. For the little it may be worth I am simply a college student looking to finally get into firearms. Been around them my whole life thanks to my pop, but of course because of the state we live in I’ve admired them for the most part on the walls collecting dust. I posted my question here for two reasons.

1.) To Save some time 

2.) To hear multiple opinions and viewpoints and try to find the common facts within, which in turn would help me figure out the answer I had been seeking. 

So thanks for everything, and I know now what I’ll do! I’m sure I’ll be back on the forums in time with the new found hobby. 

Never voluntarily register as stated by others and if you or your brother need book money or beer money feel free to PM me some of the collection you may want to sell. I wouldn't mind a WWII 1911a1 to go with my WWI 1911.

1 hour ago, Lancer506 said:

Hey guys, I understand where you’re all coming from about the whole trust issues with being a new poster. You can never be too safe.  So thanks for everything, and I know now what I’ll do! I’m sure I’ll be back on the forums in time with the new found hobby. 

2 things:

1.  Our comunity is under attack in this state, so when a brand new poster starts a thread with trigger words like "register" or "is it illegal" or "I found" or "can I ship this" it makes SOME of us question the origins.

2.  If you want to be part of our community, come shoot with a group.

2 things:
1.  Our comunity is under attack in this state, so when a brand new poster starts a thread with trigger words like "register" or "is it illegal" or "I found" or "can I ship this" it makes SOME of us question the origins.
2.  If you want to be part of our community, come shoot with a group.
If he was asking about doing something illegal I could understand the paranoia, but he was looking to go above and beyond. Everyone was new at some point

45 minutes ago, capt14k said:

If he was asking about doing something illegal I could understand the paranoia, but he was looking to go above and beyond. Everyone was new at some point

Did you not read what I said?  Trigger words 

• Like 1

Did you not read what I said?  Trigger words 
SJW get paranoid and scared by trigger words. We should be reading the whole post otherwise it is a good way to scare off / disinterest new members. I saw nothing wrong with the post.

I plan on joining a generally local range, possibly Old Bridge, but I need to see what is available. And I am in no way offended with anyone’s concerns, this state is extremely liberal and gun laws are garbage in this state. I guess I can say I just don’t want any trouble with the law, as I am pursuing a career in law enforcement myself! 

Thanks again everyone!