AR15AHOLIC

ar15 to 22lr conversion kits best option

You can go with a complete 22LR upper or a Bolt replacement kit.  Be advised the twist rate on a 22LR is 16:1 while a AR is usually 1:9 or 1:7. This will have an issue with accuracy.  CMMG has three or more flavors of kits, tactical Solutions used to have one.  Some may not feature a Last Round Bolt Hold Open option.  I have used a CMMG, TacSol, and have the Air Force version from the 80's I believe.  All seem to work fairly well.  The usual FTF and FTEs, nothing terible.  I prefer to just shoot my 10/22s instead.

I’ve tried the bolt and dedicated upper (Ciener/Kuehl) which is basically the same design everyone uses. After so many rounds, the fouling from the 22lr rounds causes my set-up to be a jam-o-matic. I would stick with dedicated 15-22 given the price differential.

• Like 1

I have a Spikes .22 upper, and used the chamber adapter from their’s on a CMMG kit. Very happy with the outcome, as it has a Lothar Walther barrel that can shoot the nuts off a fly. However, they were pricey when they offered them.

In regards to a conversion, you have a 5.56mm AR already? If so, and just for limited use, I’d just get a CMMG conversion kit that utilizes your upper.

Two heads up... don’t shoot a ton of .22, then go over and shoot 5.56mm right after. Lead build up will need to be cleaned, but no idea on if the lead moves up into the gas block/tube. Never had to deal with it, so never looked into it (would think just the barrel, but something to look into).

Second, if you have a forward assist, opt for the kit that has the bolt insert to work with it. The forward assist on a 5.56mm isn’t something I put down as hugely needed (all my ARs have them, but because they came configured as such), but on a dirty .22, it is such a nice thing to have. I’d also say get the CMMG anti-jam charging handle. My Spikes came with a standard charging handle... you will love not having to get a case out from between the charging handle/bolt.