HBecwithFn7

Survival "Eats..."

16 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

I don't think Costco was offering Angel Hair in "strand" packages.... only nests... with 4 nests per shrink wrap pack in a box of maybe 20 shrink wrap packs...  And, besides, the nest pasta was a lot thinner than strand Angel hair...

Vacuum seal orzo or elbows.  If it's an emergency situation, I don't think you're going to care so much how the delicate texture of the angel hair works nicely in your pasta primavera.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexTheSane said:

Vacuum seal orzo or elbows.  If it's an emergency situation, I don't think you're going to care so much how the delicate texture of the angel hair works nicely in your pasta primavera.

This is actually a common mistake. If you rarely to never eat beans, why are you storing 50#’s of them? With technology advances if he wants angel hair nests, he should store/ prep angel hair nests. You’re into a shitty situation in some degree to start relying on your stored food. No reason to eat mush and make life more miserable. State of mind needs fuel also.

jus sayen 

19 hours ago, Zeke said:

This is actually a common mistake. If you rarely to never eat beans, why are you storing 50#’s of them? With technology advances if he wants angel hair nests, he should store/ prep angel hair nests. You’re into a shitty situation in some degree to start relying on your stored food. No reason to eat mush and make life more miserable. State of mind needs fuel also.

jus sayen 

I agree if you never eat beans, you shouldn't stockpile beans.  But I'm talking about storing a different kind of pasta because it's easier to store, not a completely different food.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexTheSane said:

I agree if you never eat beans, you shouldn't stockpile beans.  But I'm talking about storing a different kind of pasta because it's easier to store, not a completely different food.

Idk, if he likes his angel hair nests, he can keep his angel hair nests 

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Idk, if he likes his angel hair nests, he can keep his angel hair nests 

Yes, he can keep his angel hair nests.  But I'm mandating at minimum orzo for everyone.

Just now, AlexTheSane said:

Yes, he can keep his angel hair nests.  But I'm mandating at minimum orzo for everyone.

Nevermind, He can't keep his angel hair nests.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2018 at 5:27 PM, HBecwithFn7 said:

If you were looking to "prepare" for a time when there might be a "food shortage,"   what would you buy, and how much?  It should be food that:

1)  Is relatively cheap to buy, up front and in decent quantities (Perhaps a 1-2 month's supply);

2)  Will store for a long time, unprepared (à la MRE's).

3) Meets all the basic nutrition requirements (proteins, "good" carbs, etc.)...and will "fill you up..."

4)  Fairly easy to prepare (i.e. "just boil water"  or "nuke" it).

IIRC, Dana Loesch was hawking such a company that provided "survival meals" of this nature, but I forgot who they were and, also IIRC, they were a bit pricey for what you got.

No, I'm not privy to any future 411 on "shortages..." :D  I was just thinking a bit ahead of the next Hurricane season, having dealt directly with Irma this past season.  No better time to "stock up" than when you don't "need to."

Thoughts?   Thanks!

:)

Need to think bout water.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Need to think bout water.

That, I have covered.  Currently, I don't even drink or cook with tap water, although I probably could.   I drink/cook with bottled water anyway.  Not a big issue.

6 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

That, I have covered.  Currently, I don't even drink or cook with tap water, although I probably could.   I drink/cook with bottled water anyway.  Not a big issue.

I’m gonna be wrong about this, but I think you need at least 1 gal per day per person of potable water

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I’m gonna be wrong about this, but I think you need at least 1 gal per day per person of potable water

I believe that's what most "experts" recommend.  You either need to have it stored, or to have some means of filtration.  

• Like 1

1,100 pounds of wheat, shelves full of FD meat etc. now the work is a 500 Sq. Ft. raised bed garden and over  dozen fruit trees planted. It is storage and production. If I can grow 40% of my food a year, I can build my stores up. Learn how to grow and can, the food in stores used to be a week, ten 3 days till empty, now they use JIT, just in time, that will soon change to whenever it gets here

I like the progresso soups right  out of the can cold.  But too bad I missed that sale because the normal prices are ...very pricy.

For water, I have 35,000 gallons out in the pool.  That  might require a posted sentry because the zombies will head for it.  I keep a low level of chrorination close to city water because I'm cheap and chlorine is expensive.  As long as I don't get a green tint coming on, I am good.

We have a big problem with little ants that come out of the walls at the first sign of any food left out.  It is amazing how fast they appear.  So to help with stored food like cereal and things like that, we now use these hard plastic containers that have a sort of suction lid.  It is vac packed, but it does keep thing from getting stale, and no ants.  But if I leave out an empty bowl that had my breakfast cereal in milk, they teleport in within 10 minutes from another dimension.  Then there are 90-100 ants covering the bowl.  One time I put the bowl in the microwave set on high for 3 minutes and at least  half of them were still wandering around. Tough little things.

They probably came from Bed, Bath & Beyond because the wife loves that place.  The containers, not the ants.

My  college roommate was in ROTC, and  he hated the MRE packs they gave out during the field trips, so he brought them back to the dorm and let me have them.  Always loved loooking through the stuff in the pack.  Years later, I looked it up online and was shocked at how much they go for. 8-10 each!

Back when I used to be into off-roading, the common suggestion was to keep a few cans of dog food in your truck in addition to whatever else you packed.  The idea was that if you got stranded, foods you enjoy like energy bars will be eaten quickly as much out of boredom and anxiety as anything else.  Dog food?  You won't eat that until you absolutely need to. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Babyface Finster said:

Back when I used to be into off-roading, the common suggestion was to keep a few cans of dog food in your truck in addition to whatever else you packed.  The idea was that if you got stranded, foods you enjoy like energy bars will be eaten quickly as much out of boredom and anxiety as anything else.  Dog food?  You won't eat that until you absolutely need to. 

You would eat all your survival rations out of boredom due to lack of discipline. One needs to be disciplined to survive.

No matter how hungry you may be dogfood might make you vomit.  Creates a extra concern for dehydration.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, Babyface Finster said:

That’s a very interesting mindset trick.  I’m not sure what I think of this. When we die , we die. When we fail, we fail. Why not pack to win?

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

You would eat all your survival rations out of boredom due to lack of discipline. One needs to be disciplined to survive.

No matter how hungry you may be dogfood might make you vomit.  Creates a extra concern for dehydration.

You’ve obviously never eaten dog food as a kid. It’s actually not bad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

Not sure what dog food you feed your dog, but anyone could survive fine off what I give mine.

5 hours ago, Zeke said:

That’s a very interesting mindset trick.  I’m not sure what I think of this. When we die , we die. When we fail, we fail. Why not pack to win?

You’ve obviously never eaten dog food as a kid. It’s actually not bad

Can't say I've ever eaten dog food but I have eaten Milk Bones after seeing Arthur Godfrey do it on tv.

• Haha 1