HBecwithFn7

Survival "Eats..."

I just did some shopping today on this list....canned tuna, chicken, fruits and veggies canned some sauce pasta coffee sugar....rice beans I tried to stock so I can rotate so I havnt stocked stuff we don't typically eat...I have a supply of meds, toilet paper, soaps bleach, clorex wipes, tissues....I need more ammo :)

• Like 1

Does anyone know of food allergy friendly emergency long term storage food options? 3 of 4 are good with the bucket prepper foods, but my little guy is allergic to eggs, dairy, peanuts, & chicken. It makes day to day meals difficult and I've been striking out with long term storage options. 

On 1/31/2021 at 10:35 AM, ChrisJM981 said:

Does anyone know of food allergy friendly emergency long term storage food options? 3 of 4 are good with the bucket prepper foods, but my little guy is allergic to eggs, dairy, peanuts, & chicken. It makes day to day meals difficult and I've been striking out with long term storage options. 

Well dried pasta sealed in mylar with oxygen tabs will last a long time. If you can find some that is not made in a facility with eggs. I know several brands exist in that area, but no idea what the prices are like. 

Rice is not quite as durable, but similar can be done, and I believe there are more egg free facility brands in that area. 

Then you can add dried beans ot the mix assuming it is an actual peanut allergy and not a pea protein allergy. 

Similarly oats can be packaged up for quite a while. 

In general, you are going to have to look at extending the life of shelf stable foods. For the food in a bucket market, most everything is going to have whey, soy, or egg in it.

The only other suggestion I have other than that strategy is talk to some Mormons. Even the ones in NJ tend to abide by the mandate to keep a years worth of stores on hand. Or at least attempt to. There is a lot of for mormons by mormons type of businesses that may have dealt with food allergy issues given the relative size and variety to the population. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

The only other suggestion I have other than that strategy is talk to some Mormons. Even the ones in NJ tend to abide by the mandate to keep a years worth of stores on hand. Or at least attempt to. There is a lot of for mormons by mormons type of businesses that may have dealt with food allergy issues given the relative size and variety to the population. 

Yeah, @ChrisJM981 - I would suggest this as well. (I had no idea until a couple year ago that Mormons are "preppers" as a requirement of their faith.) The question is... how sensitive is your child's allergy? Is it just a problem if milk is one of the ingredients? Or are trace amounts also an issue? (like if dairy is also made at the same plant?)

The Mormons have a system of food stores around the country (and the world). The items they sell are very limited, but might be a solution? They come in cartons of (6) #10 cans. Their website does show allergan info for each product (if you click through to product info). I'm not sure that would meet your needs or not (it seems many of the products were made in factories where milk is also processed). But, if that's not an issue, this might be part of your solution. (The stores are open to the public in case you're wondering... and it appears there are 2 stores in New Jersey). 

https://providentliving.churchofjesuschrist.org/food-storage/home-storage-center-locations-map?lang=eng#hours and locations

I have pasta and canned beans on hand. We have to do blood tests to determine which proteins he still has an anaphylaxis reaction to. Hopefully he's outgrown some of them. We've been erring on the side of caution with dairy and eggs. His skin reaction to those were severe. 

On 2/12/2020 at 11:22 PM, InFamous said:

I've got about 14 of these in a food grade storage bucket. 

https://mypatriotsupply.com/products/facebook-72-hour-kit-sample-pack-16-servings

About 2-3 years back they were selling the 72 hour kits for $10 each and I picked up a bunch.  I even got a few free packs from 4 patriots, but that was because there was an allergy labelling error.  I have seen some buy one get one free sales, but I haven't seen any $10 or $14 deals on them  since 2020!

On 2/1/2021 at 6:14 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Yeah, @ChrisJM981 - I would suggest this as well. (I had no idea until a couple year ago that Mormons are "preppers" as a requirement of their faith.) The question is... how sensitive is your child's allergy? Is it just a problem if milk is one of the ingredients? Or are trace amounts also an issue? (like if dairy is also made at the same plant?)

The Mormons have a system of food stores around the country (and the world). The items they sell are very limited, but might be a solution? They come in cartons of (6) #10 cans. Their website does show allergan info for each product (if you click through to product info). I'm not sure that would meet your needs or not (it seems many of the products were made in factories where milk is also processed). But, if that's not an issue, this might be part of your solution. (The stores are open to the public in case you're wondering... and it appears there are 2 stores in New Jersey). 

https://providentliving.churchofjesuschrist.org/food-storage/home-storage-center-locations-map?lang=eng#hours and locations

I am pretty sure that mypatriotsupply or 4patriots (or maybe both) are based out of Utah, assuming a possible Mormon connection with the prepping issue.  The Mormon church also owns most of the genealogy websites, but that is due to another aspect of their religion.

I see the prepping aspect of Mormonism, given that they were an unpopular group back in the 19th century.  Ironically, I think they thought they got away from the USA by going to present day Utah, but the the United States won the Mexican War.  Then they ended up being one of the last states to be admitted to the Union, only in front of OK, AZ,and NM in the "continental 48."