High Exposure

Investigation of a Shooting at TTC

This is never good.

Ive been there a few times. Very clean and professionally run. I am surprised by this.

I don’t know if this was a suicide or accidental shooting. I do know that this, coupled with the RTSP theft, is not what the 2A community ever needs - but the timing now is exceptionally bad.

And no, I don’t think this is a set up or false flag nonsense.

http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/prosecutor/pressrelease/2018/January29-Death Raritan Twp Gun Range.pdf

ckcYuJ1.jpg

Suicides at gun ranges are tragic and very selfish. They figure the range and not their loved ones will have to clean up the mess! If they don't care enough to go on living, they sure as hell are not going to think of how they hurt the pro 2A community!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Theron said:

I was there. It was terrible. I feel bad for everyone involved. TTC is a lovely place with friendly professional staff.

You need to go to a Range tomorrow! Seriously!

these things are gonna happen. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Theron said:

I was there. It was terrible. I feel bad for everyone involved. TTC is a lovely place with friendly professional staff.

I'm sooo sorry!! Take care of yourself. I can't imagine how upsetting that would be.

17 minutes ago, Theron said:

Sounds traumatic. If you need to talk to someone, please ask. Don’t let this experience fester. And to Zeke’s point, sometimes good to get back on the horse. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Theron said:

Yikes.  Hope everyone even peripherally involved is ok.

Found this article.

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon/index.ssf/2018/01/man_kills_himself_at_hunterdon_county_gun_range_officials_say.html

Sadly, this happens too often, I know it's happened at GFH a few times, and it used to happen at RTSP every now and then until they changed their policy to where you needed an FID to rent and shoot alone. Not sure what TTC's policy is to rent and you don't have an FID, but it is a shame for sure. I was there 2 weeks ago, great range with nice friendly staff. Dan the owner comes out and talks to everyone personally if he has the time.

3 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

Sadly, this happens too often, I know it's happened at GFH a few times, and it used to happen at RTSP every now and then until they changed their policy to where you needed an FID to rent and shoot alone. Not sure what TTC's policy is to rent and you don't have an FID, but it is a shame for sure. I was there 2 weeks ago, great range with nice friendly staff. Dan the owner comes out and talks to everyone personally if he has the time.

They require a FID to rent IIRC

hm, I went there 2 weeks ago and because it was my first time there, they did require to see my FID, even though I did have my own rifle. So you could be right. 

I remember RTSP's rule was otherwise and when they had 2 incidents in a row a bunch of us spoke up and told them to change it or refund our memberships, so they did. They had 2 suicides in less than a 3 week span, I didn't want to go there anytime soon if it was that easy to do that.

An old friend of mine was one of the suicides at GFH. I wasn't there when he did it, I didn't know that he went to ranges. He was in the army, watched his friend get blown up by an IED thrown at him by people dressed as civilians. A few days later my friend is on guard duty and sees a group of civilians approaching his check-point. Yup, he blew them away, but only vaguely remembers doing it. Spent time in military prison and dishonorably discharged so no health insurance and no access to help. I tried to get him to see a psych, but he didn't think that he needed it. He would disappear whenever he got really depressed, he wouldn't answer his phone or texts, at least from me. As soon as I heard that a guy from Garfield killed himself at GFH I knew it was him. Unfortunately, I was right. He had a good heart, but he had too many demons and virtually no help. I still shudder. I'm so sorry that someone else has gone this way. :cray:

• Like 5

I wonder if he convinced them to let him shoot by himself with no FID, nice people at TTC but a lot of the people who work the lobby there aren’t too gun savvy. When I went I mistakenly grabbed the wrong ammo (i brought my green tips and they don’t allow them) and I had to buy ammo from them, the lady behind the rental counter had no clue what 5.56 ammo was, but she was very nice. Any time i’ve been to other public ranges like GFH or RTSP, the counter people want to inspect both my weapon & my ammo before I enter the Range, there it was the RSO who checked my ammo when I got to my port. Again not knocking TTC at all but it’s a total possibility they let this guy rent & shoot without an FID.

Sadly places like this can be an easy avenue for someone to do something like this if it’s so easy to rent a gun and buy ammo.

TTC is a great place, but it’s pretty fancy inside & pricey, it doesn’t fit the demographics of Hunterdon County & they aren’t very busy, it’s possible they loosened their rules to get more business.

One of the reasons I don't shoot at in-door ranges anymore......a dumping ground for the depressed along with gun rentals and just what if he decides he wants company on his journey....no thanks.

Another reason is I don't appreciate having some fella with a 12ga. slug gun, AK or M4 firing next to me indoors......years ago no in-door range would allow this.....again, No thanks.

Out doors for me where I have the training range to myself for an hour...

One of the reasons I don't shoot at in-door ranges anymore......a dumping ground for the depressed along with gun rentals and just what if he decides he wants company on his journey....no thanks.
Another reason is I don't appreciate having some fella with a 12ga. slug gun, AK or M4 firing next to me indoors......years ago no in-door range would allow this.....again, No thanks.
Out doors for me where I have the training range to myself for an hour...

At RTSP the RSO’s carry and wear armor, not the case at TTC

Just now, xXxplosive said:

What are they waitin' for a gun fight to break out.......paper punchers, gun renters and a suicide victim once in awhile....Who the hell wants to shoot / train under those conditions.......no thanks.

Why do police wear body armor?  to protect themselves.  A lot of people don't have private range memberships or can't afford them, so they shoot where they can.

What are they waitin' for a gun fight to break out.......paper punchers, gun renters and a suicide victim once in awhile....Who the hell wants to shoot / train under those conditions.......no thanks.

It’s a public range that lets people rent weapons from them with no fire arm experience, can you blame them?

It's why I do what I do............Rule #3.....Don't go to stupid places.

Well, not everyone is a member at a club, in that area if you’re not, it’s the best option available. I used to live around RTSP and went frequently, I’ve seen a lot of noobs do stupid shit there, also corrected them. Everyone’s gotta start somewhere.

The owner’s a retired cop, everyone that works there is either a veteran, reservist or retired cop as well, can’t say I blame them for taking precautionary procedures for themselves.

9 hours ago, Gunsrlegal said:

An old friend of mine was one of the suicides at GFH. I wasn't there when he did it, I didn't know that he went to ranges. He was in the army, watched his friend get blown up by an IED thrown at him by people dressed as civilians. A few days later my friend is on guard duty and sees a group of civilians approaching his check-point. Yup, he blew them away, but only vaguely remembers doing it. Spent time in military prison and dishonorably discharged so no health insurance and no access to help. I tried to get him to see a psych, but he didn't think that he needed it. He would disappear whenever he got really depressed, he wouldn't answer his phone or texts, at least from me. As soon as I heard that a guy from Garfield killed himself at GFH I knew it was him. Unfortunately, I was right. He had a good heart, but he had too many demons and virtually no help. I still shudder. I'm so sorry that someone else has gone this way. :cray:

I know it doesn't make it any better but I'm very sorry for your loss. You did the best you could.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

I wonder if he convinced them to let him shoot by himself with no FID, nice people at TTC but a lot of the people who work the lobby there aren’t too gun savvy. When I went I mistakenly grabbed the wrong ammo (i brought my green tips and they don’t allow them) and I had to buy ammo from them, the lady behind the rental counter had no clue what 5.56 ammo was, but she was very nice. Any time i’ve been to other public ranges like GFH or RTSP, the counter people want to inspect both my weapon & my ammo before I enter the Range, there it was the RSO who checked my ammo when I got to my port. Again not knocking TTC at all but it’s a total possibility they let this guy rent & shoot without an FID.  Well, we don't know that's the case at all... so I'm sure TTC's owners would appreciate if you didn't toss that unsubstantiated theory around on a public forum.

Sadly places like this can be an easy avenue for someone to do something like this if it’s so easy to rent a gun and buy ammo. Again, they require an FID. But, let's face it... even that's not a magic shield. Yes, an FID screens out someone with an adjudicated history of commitment for mental illness... but an FID holder, like any other person, can be hit with depression at anytime in their life, so that means even outdoor ranges are not magically protected space. Fortunately, suicide by any means is still a fairly uncommon event... particularly out of the person's home. Nonetheless, I think each of us should have our eyes open at any range (indoor/outdoor, public/private) --- taking a quick assessment of who's around and how they're behaving... not in a paranoid way, just the same way you might take notice of someone driving in front of you who suddenly does something erratic.

TTC is a great place, but it’s pretty fancy inside & pricey, it doesn’t fit the demographics of Hunterdon County & they aren’t very busy, it’s possible they loosened their rules to get more business. Ummmm...I hate to sound disagreeable, but wow, you just squeezed an awful lot of assumptions/falsehoods into one sentence! Hunterdon County regularly ranks in the top 10 for highest household income in the country, it's usually #1 in NJ.  TTC is not too "fancy" or "pricey" for the area. And I do believe TTC's highest level membership packages are sold out and have been since soon after they opened. And again, we shouldn't be presuming this business "loosened" their own rules when there's ZERO evidence to suggest that. This is someone's business/livelihood. Let's not spread innuendo or kick them when they're down. (And I'm sorry if I sound like I'm picking on you. That's not my intention!)

• Like 6

Just because one has applied for and received an FID doesn't in any way guarantee he's ever even handled or fired a weapon before. So, why is this the "Key".........? A criminal record and/ or depression don't necessarily go hand in hand.......so what are you saying here.