High Exposure

Investigation of a Shooting at TTC

I’m fully aware of what Hunterdon County is like, I live 20 minutes away in Somerset County & grew up in Morris County. I actually am in Flemington often, my barber shop & tattoo shop are both there. When talking to people at places around town that are proud gun owners and hunters, that is their words, not mine that it is too nice/pricey for Hunterdon County. I liked TTC, Dan and his wife were very nice and personable, he took time to talk with me and shoot the breeze and it was a pleasure doing so.

I think it is nice, but I think it’s a bit pricey in comparison to RTSP & Gun For Hire. With that being said when I shoot indoors, that’s probably where I’d keep going to because it’s local. Also, I’m sorry but it’s true, when I go to a public range I expect the people who work at a gun range to know things about guns, including the calibers of ammo they sell.

4 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

I’m fully aware of what Hunterdon County is like, I live 20 minutes away in Somerset County & grew up in Morris County. I actually am in Flemington often, my barber shop & tattoo shop are both there. When talking to people at places around town that are proud gun owners and hunters, that is their words, not mine that it is too nice/pricey for Hunterdon County. I liked TTC, Dan and his wife were very nice and personable, he took time to talk with me and shoot the breeze and it was a pleasure doing so.

I think it is nice, but I think it’s a bit pricey in comparison to RTSP & Gun For Hire. With that being said when I shoot indoors, that’s probably where I’d keep going to because it’s local. Also, I’m sorry but it’s true, when I go to a public range I expect the people who work at a gun range to know things about guns, including the calibers of ammo they sell.

Fair enough. I was raised in Somerset, worked in Morris, owned homes in Warren and then Hunterdon. So, we have travelled similar turf! ;)

I was kind of shocked, frankly, to find out how high the household incomes were in Hunterdon --- because growing up, my main familiarity with Hunterdon was Flemington (the outlets). And you can't necessarily "feel the wealth" by that (or in my little modest town, either - as both towns have lower per capita income by Hunterdon standards). But get off the main drags into other areas and you start to understand - yeah, there's a LOT of wealth in Hunterdon county.

TTC did start off rather high on price, then adjusted their rates downward... ultimately, I guess the proof is in the pudding - they have "sold out" membership categories. So, I guess they're charging what the market in the general area will bear.

But anyway, I appreciate your nice, civil response! :D You never know what you'll get when you reply to someone you haven't interacted with before. LOL.

11 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Fair enough. I was raised in Somerset, worked in Morris, owned homes in Warren and then Hunterdon. So, we have travelled similar turf! ;)

I was kind of shocked, frankly, to find out how high the household incomes were in Hunterdon --- because growing up, my main familiarity with Hunterdon was Flemington (the outlets). And you can't necessarily "feel the wealth" by that (or in my little modest town, either - as both towns have lower per capita income by Hunterdon standards). But get off the main drags into other areas and you start to understand - yeah, there's a LOT of wealth in Hunterdon county.

TTC did start off rather high on price, then adjusted their rates downward... ultimately, I guess the proof is in the pudding - they have "sold out" membership categories. So, I guess they're charging what the market in the general area will bear.

But anyway, I appreciate your nice, civil response! :D You never know what you'll get when you reply to someone you haven't interacted with before. LOL.

Likewise, I was surprised about Hunterdon County as well, those median income numbers are pretty high for a whole lot of nothing in the area and not much public transportation to NYC. Flemington and it's surrounding towns are nice, but let's be real you head out 78 a bit to clinton, asbury, bloomsbury & Stewartsville there's not much of a difference between Hunterdon County & Warren County hillbillies ;)

12 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

Likewise, I was surprised about Hunterdon County as well, those median income numbers are pretty high for a whole lot of nothing in the area and not much public transportation to NYC. Flemington and it's surrounding towns are nice, but let's be real you head out 78 a bit to clinton, asbury, bloomsbury & Stewartsville there's not much of a difference between Hunterdon County & Warren County hillbillies ;)

Hey, and suddenly this turned ugly... I think you just called me a hillbilly, or at least close-to-a-hillbilly! :angry: Grrrr....

Yeah, there's a lot of "meh" fairly ordinary towns along the main highways --- but you've also got a lot of rolling hills and expensive homes spotted onto large lots in areas like Tewksbury/Oldwick, Frenchtown surrounds, heck...even Bethlehem Township has more than its share of expensive homes (CEOs, wealthy athletes, etc.). You don't see ANY of that from the main drags - which is exactly how their owners like it, I guess.

Interestingly, I saw stats recently that far more Hunterdon County folks commute to jobs in Philly than NYC... that really surprised me! I had no idea. 

lol not trying to offend you I promise! I live in nearby Bedminster.

Trying to steer somewhat closer to the OP topic...

I am a TTC member and seem to recall a rule that if you are a NJ resident you need a FID but if you are from out of state you only need your driver’s license or ID.

I guess ranges need to walk a fine line between safety, law and money making.

My first time there I banged on the stall walls and wondered whether or not they are ballistic or just for show as I heard the guy next to me blasting away with his AR10.

They’re ballistic stall walls. Same equipment used at Gun For Hire & RTSP which are both bulletproof. Any rifle or Shotgun is going to be loud at an indoor range. In my humble opinion, shooting an AR-10 or AR-15 in a 40 yard indoor range is a waste of money/ammo.

3 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

They’re ballistic stall walls. Same equipment used at Gun For Hire & RTSP which are both bulletproof. Any rifle or Shotgun is going to be loud at an indoor range. In my humble opinion, shooting an AR-10 or AR-15 in a 40 yard indoor range is a waste of money/ammo.

Function check or sight in.  

• Like 2

That's all I use indoor ranges for at this point. I used to go to RTSP a lot and in hindsight I look at all the money I wasted on ammo to shoot thousands of rounds down a 25 yard indoor range. But even for $40 for an hour to zero your rifle is a bit much.

I think the point, Ray, is that people are brutally fucking stupid, and when you work someplace where brutally fucking stupid people are playing with guns for the first time, they do brutally fucking stupid things, that could easily get you killed.

• Like 6

I think the point, Ray, is that people are brutally fucking stupid, and when you work someplace where brutally fucking stupid people are playing with guns for the first time, they do brutally fucking stupid things, that could easily get you killed.
This is one of the truest things I have ever read

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, sota said:

It doesn't have to be "for the first time".  Even seasoned pros make mistakes. 

But yeah, which is why I'm not a fan of indoor ranges.  But it's all I have in my area. 

This whole NJ way of thinking is why the firearms laws suck in this state. One should not need a FPID, FID, or any other B.S. NJ document to buy or rent a firearm. I bought my first handgun almost 30 years ago. Left SC DMV with my new SC Drivers License walked across the street and walked out with a handgun. Then later that week I bought my second. Went to a range to try out some other firearms all they needed to see was my money. That is how Free America and the Second Amendment works.

Someone wants to kill themself they will and nothing anyone does can stop them. It is crap that ranges were forced into asking for NJ FPID and not allowing males to go alone. Likely forced on them by lawyers, insurance companies, and NJSP all working in tandem. For what safety? When you sacrifice liberty for security you deserve neither.

• Like 1

don't get me started on my frustrations with this state. I moved to my town last year, when I got a new drivers license with my address on it, I finally decided to update my FID 6 weeks ago along with applying for another pistol permit, one of my references has been unreliable and I called my police dept today about it asking what the hold up is. I had to give them another reference and they're doing me a solid by emailing him the form, letting him fill it out, scan it and return it to them via email to stream line it. If you're already a FID holder all you should have to do for a change of address is fill out the form, pay the $20 for the state police check and be good to go. You don't have to take another drivers test when you move, you shouldnt have to go through the whole FID process again for a change of address.

Yeah, it is what it is. I would have no problem with the FID if we were allowed to own and carry weapons unconditionally and be able to buy tax stamped weapons/equipment. We’ve already vetted ourselves legally to be fit to be gun owners. Everything else is just overly redundant punishment.

What makes me laugh is when there is a shooting, libs from our own state start bitching about gun control and how they don’t want it happening to their own kid and I’m just like, you know our state has something in place right?

On 1/29/2018 at 8:24 PM, JR88USMC said:

hm, I went there 2 weeks ago and because it was my first time there, they did require to see my FID, even though I did have my own rifle. So you could be right. 

I remember RTSP's rule was otherwise and when they had 2 incidents in a row a bunch of us spoke up and told them to change it or refund our memberships, so they did. They had 2 suicides in less than a 3 week span, I didn't want to go there anytime soon if it was that easy to do that.

FYI, our incidents were 3 months apart not weeks. And though we appreciated the few customers that voiced concern, the policy changes were a joint effort with the NSSF, suicide prevention team and a group of range owners working in consortium. Those are the facts!

• Like 4

FYI, our incidents were 3 months apart not weeks. And though we appreciated the few customers that voiced concern, the policy changes were a joint effort with the NSSF, suicide prevention team and a group of range owners working in consortium. Those are the facts!

I’m not debating the facts here, when I meant back to back, I meant they were 2 events in a frequent time frame (3 months is frequent) & I know as a fact that myself and 10 other members complained that we didn’t feel safe with the policy the way it was, I’m happy you guys took the proper steps since then to prevent it as best as you can. Great range up at RTSP.

It's new jersey, we hand out a pound of Pot with an AR-15 now.