panteramatt

Camper with a homemade title

Looking at a camper for sale in Va. Guy says the title was lost and it now has a homemade title. The title looks like every other title just under make it says homemade. Will I have any issues getting it transferred to NJ? Does this make the trailer worth less? Its in great shape regardless. 

Looking at a camper for sale in Va. Guy says the title was lost and it now has a homemade title. The title looks like every other title just under make it says homemade. Will I have any issues getting it transferred to NJ? Does this make the trailer worth less? Its in great shape regardless. 
If the price is right I would still buy it but the value is less. You should be able to register it in NJ. Just double check with VA DMV that it is legit. My guess would be yes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I see no issue with buying a camper that is titled as a "homemade" trailer in VA.  I have owned two sneakboxes in NJ that were titled as homemade and never had any issues registering or selling.  A title is a title.

• Like 1

In my opinion yes a homemade title does make it worth less. If it's in great shape and the price is really good it might be to good of a deal. Possibly stolen? 

With that being said I'd find the vin and make sure it matches what's on the title at least (Not sure if homemade titles have vins on them)

If it all checks out I'd still buy it but I'd use the title to negotiate a cheaper price

3.5 hrs is not that bad. Gotta put in the leg work for a good deal. I drove with a friend from Pittsburgh Pa to Panama city FL and back to buy a salvage title Porsche 911 to flip because the price was right. 

He Probably kept his victim in the fridge and couldn't get the smell out so he replaced it. Lmao

• Like 1

NADA on it is $10,300 and he wants $7,000 firm. Hes an older guy. Problem is its 3.5 hours away so I cant just run down there. He also replaced the fridge which is a little wierd. 
Maybe he replaced the fridge because it broke?

1 hour ago, panteramatt said:

Can you guys explain why to back away?

biggest concern would be if it was stolen......or if it had been seriously screwed up in some sort of crash or fire, then rebuilt....then titled as home made in order to avoid showing such.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, panteramatt said:

NADA on it is $10,300 and he wants $7,000 firm. Hes an older guy. Problem is its 3.5 hours away so I cant just run down there. He also replaced the fridge which is a little wierd. 

How (and why) would NADA come up with a value on a homemade trailer?

• Like 1

biggest concern would be if it was stolen......or if it had been seriously screwed up in some sort of crash or fire, then rebuilt....then titled as home made in order to avoid showing such.
Well the stolen part shouldn't be an issue if there is a VIN. Can also check carfax but it isn't 100%. That's where a mechanic is helpful.

How (and why) would NADA come up with a value on a homemade trailer?
I'm guessing he means the make , model, and year. If I understand it is a name brand RV with with work done to it and titled as homemade.

Titling a manufactured trailer as homemade was often done as people lost registrations on non-titled trailers. I have heard of this in the past, particularly on utility trailers.

On an RV trailer I would be VERY wary. Why did he have to title it as home built? If he lost the title why didn't he just go through the hoops to obtain a legit replacement title rather than doing the sneaky (ie cheap) way of going allegedly homebuilt. Also, consider that it is NOT a homebuilt trailer, it's a manufactured trailer with a VIN, therefore titling it as home built may actually be considered fraudulent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

I'm guessing he means the make , model, and year. If I understand it is a name brand RV with with work done to it and titled as homemade.

Ah, that could explain it.

2 hours ago, djg0770 said:

If he lost the title why didn't he just go through the hoops to obtain a legit replacement title rather than doing the sneaky (ie cheap) way of going allegedly homebuilt.

This.  If the issue was really a lost title, then it likely would have been easier/cheaper to get a replacement from the DMV instead of re-titling.

There be hinkiness in this deal...

• Like 1

Sounds like it left someone else's house and found it's way to his...
Do you really believe DMV would re title a stolen vehicle and then the guy would list it for sale online? Seriously?

4 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Do you really believe DMV would re title a stolen vehicle and then the guy would list it for sale online? Seriously?

Re-titled as Homemade vs the actual manufacturer - they walk in to the DMV, re-title it as "homemade" instead of a manufactured one, they give you a VIN tag and the title and registration.  They say it's homemade to avoid having to prove the manufacture and purchase.  

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/1038208-homemade-trailer-vin-va.html#post13893380

Re-titled as Homemade vs the actual manufacturer - they walk in to the DMV, re-title it as "homemade" instead of a manufactured one, they give you a VIN tag and the title and registration.  They say it's homemade to avoid having to prove the manufacture and purchase.  

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/1038208-homemade-trailer-vin-va.html#post13893380

Then he lists it online for sale, and gives title that can be traced back to him?

Link is for a trailer not an RV.

Just now, capt14k said:

Then he lists it online for sale, and gives title that can be traced back to him?

Didn't say they were smart.  It just set off all sorts of warning signs from the limited info I have.