diamondd817

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 Question

47 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

I would to get my hands on a new KT Sub2000 in 9mm. I think I already know the answer, but just want to confirm. The stock has to pinned to be NJ compliant, correct? And that's it, right?

The only pinning that needs to be done is to the nut on the barrel that covers the threads.  The shop where I bought mine had them pinned before they put them out on display, so it will probably be ready when you see it.

While the stock has 3 positions you can adjust to, it's not something you can do on the fly.  You have to remove a pin (under pressure) and adjust the entire stock, so it' not a quick adjustment.

Otherwise they're good to go...for now!!!

17 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

The only pinning that needs to be done is to the nut on the barrel that covers the threads.  The shop where I bought mine had them pinned before they put them out on display, so it will probably be ready when you see it.

While the stock has 3 positions you can adjust to, it's not something you can do on the fly.  You have to remove a pin (under pressure) and adjust the entire stock, so it' not a quick adjustment.

Otherwise they're good to go...for now!!!

Yes, that is accurate advice.

As you are probably aware, there are multiple configurations in 9mm, depending on which mags you want to use.  Be sure to get a Gen.2. 

I would be interested to hear from you after you've shot it a few times.  I find it extremely difficult to shoot using the iron sights, as I need to contort my head to look through the rear peep sight, and I end up bruising my cheek on the metal stock.  OTOH, with a red dot optic, it is a pleasure to shoot.  

8 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Ok, where can I get one NJ? I want a Gen 2 with Glock 19 mags. Black.

I had this model, and your pinky finger hangs off the bottom of the gun.  It also was unreliable.   The Ruger is a better buy.

12 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

While not as rare as they used to be, they're still pretty sparse at most gun shops.  The Glock 19 is the rarest, so if you want one now your best bet is to get the G17 model (most available) and order the G19 grips from KelTec or cut down the G17 grips. 

I've never held the G19 model (mine is a G17) but from what I hear the grip is very small (obviously) so definitely feel before you buy.

Ottomanelli's usually has one or two on the shelf if you want to hold one and see what it feels like, but they charge a LOT for them.

If you want one soon then you may want to check the online sites and buy that way.

22 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

As you are probably aware, there are multiple configurations in 9mm, depending on which mags you want to use.  Be sure to get a Gen.2. 

I would be interested to hear from you after you've shot it a few times.  I find it extremely difficult to shoot using the iron sights, as I need to contort my head to look through the rear peep sight, and I end up bruising my cheek on the metal stock.  OTOH, with a red dot optic, it is a pleasure to shoot.  

Yes, cheek position was a challenge for me too.

For me the best place to hold was with my cheek as far forward as possible (right next to the barrel nut).  Sometimes my cheekbone slips to the top a little and recoil will punch me a bit, but the more I use it the less I get of that.

If I break down and buy the tube cover I'll let you know how it works out:

https://www.amazon.com/Tacticool-Products-Cover-Kel-Tec-SUB-2000/dp/B01IQHWLT6

6 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

I have a black 9mm Gen 2 that takes S&W M&P mags and a Tan 9mm Gen 2 that takes Beretta 92 mags in stock. The Glock versions don't last long when I get them in stock.

6 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I had this model, and your pinky finger hangs off the bottom of the gun.  It also was unreliable.   The Ruger is a better buy.

i've yet to have any sort of malfunction on mine.

8 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i've yet to have any sort of malfunction on mine.

Welcome to the world of Kel-Tec, half the gun culture hates them because their junk and the other half loves their value and enginuitty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cabalrayz said:

i've had some malfunctions outta my gen1 glock 17 model switching to heavier bullets seemed to resolve the issues.  i agree keltec is hit or miss but they also make guns that no other company is making.

Ruger answered the bell with a better 9mm take down rifle.  Better construction, options, parts and a company that puts out a product you can actually put your hands on.

15 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

If it uses the 19 mags, how much smaller can the grip be then the G19 grip?  Also, going to be a range toy only. 

16 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

@diamondd817, buy the Ruger PCC 9mm.  Your welcome

I just like the look of the Kel Tec better. 

15 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

While not as rare as they used to be, they're still pretty sparse at most gun shops.  The Glock 19 is the rarest, so if you want one now your best bet is to get the G17 model (most available) and order the G19 grips from KelTec or cut down the G17 grips. 

I've never held the G19 model (mine is a G17) but from what I hear the grip is very small (obviously) so definitely feel before you buy.

Ottomanelli's usually has one or two on the shelf if you want to hold one and see what it feels like, but they charge a LOT for them.

If you want one soon then you may want to check the online sites and buy that way.

So the only difference between the 17 and 19 model is the grip, which can be switched out easily?

16 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Will do.

9 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Welcome to the world of Kel-Tec, half the gun culture hates them because their junk and the other half loves their value and enginuitty.

ha! mine serves one purpose since i've verified it with the different brands of ammo.......

35 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

So the only difference between the 17 and 19 model is the grip, which can be switched out easily?

Yes, the only difference in the 9mm lock versions (probably all 9mm versions) is with the grips.

I guess "easy" depends on how comfortable you are with taking things apart and putting them back together.  At a basic level you're just taking the screws out and replacing the panels, but in order to do so you have to take apart the whole gun.

I replaced the trigger and springs myself, so it's definitely something you can do on your own...IF you're comfortable with that kind of thing.  Just remember that there are a bunch of tiny springs that want to jump out and fly everywhere, so you have to watch out for that.

This video shows the disassemble/reassemble process (and trigger replacement which I HIGHLY recommend) so use that as your guide:

2 hours ago, AlexTheSane said:

You can even take a hacksaw to the grip to shorten it to fit the 19

Absolutely!

I've seen pictures of lots of different Sub 2000 mods, so I think it all depends on your comfort/skill level.

5 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

If it uses the 19 mags, how much smaller can the grip be then the G19 grip?  Also, going to be a range toy only. 

I just like the look of the Kel Tec better. 

It's engineering.  The grip was cut to accept Glock 19 magazines so you lose the spot where your pinky rests.  Drove me nuts.  If it was reliable then I might have accepted it.  But the rifle is cheaply made, unreliable and doesn't inspire trust.

The Ruger PCC is the complete opposite.

• Like 1