Has anyone flown with a large amount of ammo?

My understanding is that you can bring up to 10 lbs of ammo I checked baggage.

Where does this limit come from?

Has anyone tried to check gunpowder (black or smokeless)? Is there a similar limit or is it zero?

I've seen parcel carriers carry primed brass, but treat primers as hazmat. Where does this line get drawn?

When I'm travelling, I often see deals but have little way to get them home.

What have others been able to travel with?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Smokeless powder, and especially black powder, are non-starters.   Ditto for primers.   Don't try to bring them on the plane.  Primed empty cases should logically be ok as they aren't hazmat items, but don't count on the airlines agreeing with that.

As for the quantity of ammo allowed, it seems to vary with the airline, and often the counter person.   You can often find an airline's ammo limit on their website.  Print it out and bring it with you, in case the counter person had a different opinion.  Packaging guidelines usually say something like 'factory packaging or equivalent', meaning you're fine if you leave the ammo in the factory box, you should be fine with reloads in MTM cases or similar, but don't bring a ziplock bag full of loose ammo.

Common quantity limits you'll encounter are 5 lbs, 500 rounds, 5 boxes...I think that all links back to an old international regulation limiting small arms ammo in checked baggage to 5 kg (11 lbs), and that '5' got bastardized into all kinds of interpretations.    So check with the airline you are using.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, leadunderpressure said:

11pounds is less than 40 50bmg catridges.

For larger calibers, do you have any options for more weight allowance?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

None of which I'm aware.   I've seen nothing in the regulations that would allow more in checked baggage, and I don't see the airlines making any exceptions just because the cartridges are bigger.   If you're traveling in a group, you could ask each member to check ammo.

If you find great ammo deals in your travels, your best bet might be to ask if the dealer ships, and if not, consider slapping on an ORM-D label and shipping it yourself.

Several years ago, I had on a number of occasions flown from Dallas back to NJ with shotgun ammo in my checked bag.  Always less than 10lbs per airline rules and usually put it in a plano ammo case within my checked bag.  

Frankly, it is more trouble than it’s worth.  I would frequently have to stand on the much longer customer service line instead of being able to just check my bag with the self service kiosk.  Then, when declaring to airline person the fact I had only ammo, they would either do nothing different at all, or incorrectly try to treat it as though i was transporting a firearm and i would have to correct them.  Did not have any issues with TSA.

It is so much easier ordering online and having it shipped to your home.

i recommend you do so, and quickly, while you still can.

• Like 1

Ship it! do it all the time. However, be careful, no USPS, and Fedex and UPS have rules, but it can be done. Do it all the time.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page.

Some special rules on ammo at bottom of page.

I have checked it a few times, post Sandy Hook when ammo was scarce and dear. I was in Yuma and I picked up a few boxes at reasonable price. Kept it under 11 lbs per regulation, but I don't think I had to declare it or anything IIRC. At any rate they did not weigh it separately. I don't know what happens if you are over the limit.