dajonga

Sportsmans in Bordentown

I am on the road alot and try to stop in to gun shops when I am driving by them.

Stopped at Sportsman's on Rt. 130 yesterday to find that is now a multi-vendor thrift shop.

The gun shop will still be there, but it will be much smaller and deal mostly in used guns. They say they will order new guns on request, but will not keep a large selection of them on hand.

Last time I went there was a little over a year ago.  Even then it was mostly used stuff, which is great, I love blued steel and American walnut.  In fact, I got the deal of a lifetime at Sportsman's when I found a Marlin 39D, which is a collector gun, for $250.00.  The shelves were not well stocked and I was told they were scaling back reloading supplies and accessories.

17 minutes ago, blksheep said:

Cheyenne Mt. isnt much better.  Place always looks closed

I have not been to CMO since they moved.  I'd hate to see them go under because they relocated.  They were always busy any time I viseted.

Just now, blksheep said:

I liked them at their old location.  At least u could get a pretzel before you got blown off by the counter guy.

I dunno man.  Your experience at CMO seems to be different than mine.  Every time I have been there I was well attended to.  They gave me as much time as I wanted and were happy to help.  Sometimes I had to wait because they were insanely busy, but when they got to me, it was all about me.

Couple times they were dead.  Walked in and they were busy talking.  Looked at a Vickers RTF2 Glock.  Was about to buy it then asked where the accessories were, mag base plates, etc.  They said thats how they come.  I told em there should be more parts, they went to check and came back and said thats it.  Not acceptable.  I said ok and left.  Gave em one more try and got blown off again.  I bought my Kimber, Sig and Springfield from them along with countless supplies, all at the old location.  They have a shit ton of stuff with no one that knows about it.  Ill give my business to Shooters or Plumsted Arms.  Waaaaayyyy better IMHO.  

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 0:18 PM, blksheep said:

Couple times they were dead.  Walked in and they were busy talking.  Looked at a Vickers RTF2 Glock.  Was about to buy it then asked where the accessories were, mag base plates, etc.  They said thats how they come.  I told em there should be more parts, they went to check and came back and said thats it.  Not acceptable.  I said ok and left.  Gave em one more try and got blown off again.  I bought my Kimber, Sig and Springfield from them along with countless supplies, all at the old location.  They have a shit ton of stuff with no one that knows about it.  Ill give my business to Shooters or Plumsted Arms.  Waaaaayyyy better IMHO.  

Every time I've been in Cheyenne I have been ignored by the counter staff even if the pace is empty.

Does Plumstead Arms have a retail store?

On 2/2/2018 at 2:10 PM, blksheep said:

I liked them at their old location.  At least u could get a pretzel before you got blown off by the counter guy.

I loved those pretzels, and Harry's was right next door!

Sad. Sportsman Center has been a dump now for several years. When you walked it felt like you were stepping back to the 1970's. So old and outdated and sad looking and you can just see the writing on the walls for a few years now.
It is a dump now. Basically a junk store with 32 vendors. Liberty safes and small Firearms section. Thankfully I didn't go out of my way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I liked them for being a Liberty Safe dealer... where I got my Fatboy, Jr from. Went there fall of 2016, being my fiancé wanted to buy me a smaller overflow safe. Was dead, with nothing there (like capt14k, I like surplus rifles... so I would see something good that most shooters would judge as junk). Did get some Liberty catalogs, in case we were going to order one. Ended up going to Cabela’s in Delaware.

I did buy a Garand at a decent price from them, but that was probably around the Newtown shooting. Absolutely nothing was in that store that was for sale... had other Garands and a few crappy ARs, but all were sold. Seeing a pattern in regards to inventory.

I do like supporting NJ businesses, but they never came off as a great place. Even that Garand I bought, the salesman tried to say it was a rare Danish build... on a Lithgow receiver. Knowing about the receivers (Century build), I added up the price of the parts, which the one I really wanted was the brand new VAR barrel... and it was worth the price I paid. Sent it to Shuff’s, and he confirmed the receiver was good to go. So, I got lucky that I had a working rifle at a pile of parts price.

Even if they were a great shop, I probably wouldn’t go there too much... my ex lives right across the street.

8 hours ago, gfl216 said:

I was in there yesterday, I walked around for about 5 min. and I didn't see any guns. I was looking for someone to ask but couldn't find anyone. The place is basically an indoor flea market now. 

Sad

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, gfl216 said:

I was in there yesterday, I walked around for about 5 min. and I didn't see any guns. I was looking for someone to ask but couldn't find anyone. The place is basically an indoor flea market now. 

I went back today with the wife. She wanted to look around and see what they have. I asked a guy who worked there and he said that they have a small gun counter that is in the area where they sell the safes. I didn't get a chance to see what they have because that section is only open Monday thru Friday.

13 hours ago, 9X19 said:

They are pretty much all gone...Rays, Meltzers, Efingers. One by one...sad. Being in NJ certainly does not help.

I was not a gun guy in time to know Rays.

I was in Flemington on Saturday.  Sportsman's Rendevous on 31 is closing, too. "Retiring" says sign on door. They only had a few fishing lures, scope caps and some archery stuff left. Sad, indeed. 

I stopped by Tactical Training in Flemington. That place feels very weird to me. Not like a gun shop at all, more like a boutique cigar shop. Not one employee in showroom was available to sell me a $38 something I have been looking at for months. I was there for 10 minutes. The pretty girl at the front desk said hi, but after that....nothing.

Being on the road most days, one of my things is to hit any gun shop I know of in that locale, even if just to drop $15 on a box of 9mm to give them a sale. I don't really need any more ammo, but if we all dropped $20 here and there to the local guys and gals, they might stick around. 

I really liked Efingers. I bought my first rifle there in 2010, along with a few other used guns over the years. 

I dread the day when my only choice for a LGS is Dicks.

They changed the name of the building.  Just went past a couple days ago.

Bought my first handgun there in 2002.  A Glock 22.

Then a Smith 5906, 908, My first Bushmaster AR in 2003, A Hi-Point 995 my Keltec Sub 2000.

Good times.  It's sad.