Malice4you

Just two guns for the rest of your life

So, parallel universe you can have any one long gun you want, and any one sidearm you want - with the catch that you can only ever own those two guns for the rest of your life.

Some rules for this parallel universe:

-You will still be paying for your own ammo, but let's say the guns are free.

-There are no gun laws, other than you can only ever own one long gun and one sidearm.  That means a full auto suppressed SBR is on the table if you are so inclined.

-The restriction is limited to the receiver or whatever would be the serialized part of the gun. You can change parts to change barrels/stocks/calibers IF those parts exist today.  So an AR lower could be many different gun types from a 24" barreled precision rifle to a 24"OAL SBR to a .50BMG bolt action.  Or a 10/22 with 40 different stocks/skins to make it look like a G36 or M249 or AUG or whatever.  Your 870 shotgun could have a 10" or 30" barrel.  If the gun exists today, you can have it.  Rarity is not a factor.  Accessories are not a factor.

-Your sidearm choice can be a traditional pistol or revolver, or something like a small SMG or Shockwave shotguns.  You can't convert an AR pistol to a long gun because you would have two long guns then.

-You can be as vague or specific as you'd like - "1911" or "M1 Carbine SN 137445A that my grandfather carried" are equally valid answers.

-You are stuck with these choices for life - no trading/selling/borrowing/exchanging/renting/etc.

What do you pick?

For me, long gun I think is going to have to be an Accuracy International AWP .308 with some really nice glass.  I've liked them for years, I've wanted one for years, I'll probably never own one in this universe, and it is what came to mind when I first thought of this question. Runner up was an HK MSG90.

Sidearm would be HK MP5K.  Another gun I've always liked, plus I could still have my full-auto fun.  Guess I won't be concealed carrying, though.  But hey, open carry is a thing everywhere, what with no gun laws and all....

For the sidearm, I'd go with my SIG P226.

For the long gun, I'm torn between my Mossberg 930 "JM Pro" and my Colt LE6920.  The right tool for the right job.

Can't we have a "third" choice as well (i.e. sidearm, long gun and shottie)?  :D

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

For the sidearm, I'd go with my SIG P226.

For the long gun, I'm torn between my Mossberg 930 "JM Pro" and my Colt LE6920.  The right tool for the right job.

Can't we have a "third" choice as well (i.e. sidearm, long gun and shottie)?  :D

I wanted it to be a tough choice for a reason...

And for all the talk of everyone always wanting SBRs or full auto, surprised that there aren't more answers leaning that way.  These don't have to be guns you already own, these can be dream guns completely out of reach for 99% of us...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

And for all the talk of everyone always wanting SBRs or full auto, surprised that there aren't more answers leaning that way.  These don't have to be guns you already own, these can be dream guns completely out of reach for 99% of us...

I have a full auto capable Colt R0933 Commando SBR at work. I’m issued 2 actually.... It’s fun, but it’s niche.

For a “one gun forever” type scenario, a semi only 16” gun will serve you best, IMO.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Does wife equal 4 or still jus 2...

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

You may be half right....

And no shocker here:

AR

Glock 35

In 40 or 357 sig?

I’m gonna get a Wilson combat 11.3” SBR with whisper suppressor, a Benelli M4 and HK USP expert in 9mm.  Those are the only “two” firearms I really need. And maybe a 1911 and a Glock 20 SF.  That’s it, that’s all I need.  And a S&W 686+ and really nothing else.  Except for maybe a sig 229 legion 9mm but for real these are the only two guns I would need.  Except my HK SP5K I’d need that but that’s it. Ok that’s the two guns I’d get.  

Whew, honestly narrowing it down two was a really difficult task but I did it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

In 40 or 357 sig?

I’m gonna get a Wilson combat 11.3” SBR with whisper suppressor, a Benelli M4 and HK USP expert in 9mm.  Those are the only “two” firearms I really need. And maybe a 1911. 

Should have been more clear. I was referring to my specific G35 - I carry it in .40, but I have 9mm and .22 conversion kits for it, as well as an RMR mounted to it.

I have no use for .357sig. Expensive and relatively uncommon.

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Should have been more clear. I was referring to my specific G35 - I carry it in .40, but I have 9mm and .22 conversion kits for it, as well as an RMR mounted to it.

I have no use for .357sig. Expensive and relatively uncommon.

I figured but you know assumption is always a bad thing :)

Which conversion barrel are you using?

22 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I figured but you know assumption is always a bad thing :)

Which conversion barrel are you using?

I have a Lone Wolf for the 9mm - I got it a long time ago. It works. If I was doing it now, it would be a KKM.

The .22 is an Advantage Arms setup. It had a few teething problem until I broke it in. Runs great now.

7 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I hate you

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

5 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Mossberg 590A1

S&W 686 

@GRIZ will be exactly the same as mine.

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

You may be half right....

And no shocker here:

AR

Glock 35

@Ray Ray@High Exposure is correct.

686 or GP100 4"

and

M4A1,  only need 5.56, full auto for the Mongol hordes. The ones I've had in the past I had to give back.

Ray, no shotgun for me if there's only 2.  Shotgun has limited range and ammo is too bulky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

@Ray Ray@High Exposure is correct.

686 or GP100

and

M4A1,  only need 5.56, full auto for the Mongol hordes. The ones I've had in the past I had to give back.

Ray, no shotgun for me if there's only 2.  Shotgun has limited range and ammo is too bulky.

True, but the AR is dependent on magazines.   And I can shoot a bird, a deer and perp with 3 rounds.

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I have a full auto capable Colt R0933 Commando SBR at work. I’m issued 2 actually.... It’s fun, but it’s niche.

For a “one gun forever” type scenario, a semi only 16” gun will serve you best, IMO.

In this scenario, you aren't issued anything.  You get your two guns, and as far as you are concerned, these are THE only guns in the world.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Does wife equal 4 or still jus 2...

It equals 2.  Hers are hers, she gets 2, and you don't ever get to play with em.  Cause I'm an asshole.

• Like 1

Just now, Malice4you said:

In this scenario, you aren't issued anything.  You get your two guns, and as far as you are concerned, these are THE only guns in the world.

It equals 2.  Hers are hers, she gets 2, and you don't ever get to play with em.  Cause I'm an asshole.

I’m out

Suppressed 7/08 bolt rifle with an 18" barrel, McMillan M40A1-HTG with AI DBM and a Timney CE two stage trigger built on a 700 action.  Glass would be a Leupold Mk5 3.6-18.

3" 686+ would most likely be along for the ride as well.  

30 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

I totally get that. I am saying that my experience with shooting select fire SBRs on a regular basis lead me to believe they aren’t the best choice if you only get one AR. A 14.5”-16” midlength will be more useful and versatile. Full auto while fun is unnecessary and an ammo waster.

Now, if we get unlimited uppers, a suppressed 20”SPR, and an integrally suppressed 8” barrelled  .300Blk would definitely be in the quiver, along with 9mm and  .22 LR conversion, oooooooohhhhhh and something big bore like .458 SOCOM or .50 Beowulf.

@GRIZ I knew it ;)

@Ray Ray :p 

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Great thread, lots of interesting choices.  And in reality, all make sense.

Agreed.  I like when folks play along.  

And I also agree that all make sense in some way, shape or form.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I totally get that. I am saying that my experience with shooting select fire SBRs on a regular basis lead me to believe they aren’t the best choice if you only get one AR. A 14.5”-16” midlength will be more useful and versatile. Full auto while fun is unnecessary and an ammo waster.

Gotcha, I misinterpreted what you wrote, though I do hope it clarifies things for anyone else.  I wanted it to be a scenario where there is no gaming the system (Zeke) so you really have to think about what it is you really want out of your two guns.

As for unlimited uppers, as per rules I set out, I'd say sure, long as they fit properly on your single lower.