Malice4you

Just two guns for the rest of your life

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

True, but the AR is dependent on magazines.   And I can shoot a bird, a deer and perp with 3 rounds.

You just need to have magazines around.  I never found that an issue.

You can shoot the bird, perp, and deer with the 357 or M4.

My needs are simple

1.  A good quality pump shotgun in 12 gauge, with interchangeable barrels appropriate for birds, small and large game, and more serious business.

2.  A good quality .357 magnum revolver; medium size/frame.  Barrel unsure; either a 4 or 6 inch.

• Like 1

Has anyone on here ever fired an HCAR or BN36?

If you want to torture someone make their two Firearms for the rest of their lives Japanese pistols. Type 14 and Type 94 would be hell on Earth. By the way if anyone wants to buy some I'm selling mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I was thinking of my styer aug but I’ve already committed to then 2 guns above.  It maybe 2^3 guns but when I read the rules it said 2 guns and nothing specific about exponents.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

I was thinking of my styer aug but I’ve already committed to then 2 guns above.  It maybe 2^3 guns but when I read the rules it said 2 guns and nothing specific about exponents.   

You are gonna have problems in this parallel universe...you need additional parallel universes for all the guns you want since each you only gets 2 per universe.

I know I would too, but I feel like my choices give me enough coverage within my strengths and weaknesses in shooting that I would be covered for most situations with my picks over a lifetime. While I might always wonder how I'd feel if I'd chosen an MSG90 or PSG1 or AR(+dozens of uppers) or whatever, if I really had to, I think I could live with my choices if those were the rules.

14 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

You are gonna have problems in this parallel universe...you need additional parallel universes for all the guns you want since each you only gets 2 per universe.

I know I would too, but I feel like my choices give me enough coverage within my strengths and weaknesses in shooting that I would be covered for most situations with my picks over a lifetime. While I might always wonder how I'd feel if I'd chosen an MSG90 or PSG1 or AR(+dozens of uppers) or whatever, if I really had to, I think I could live with my choices if those were the rules.

Yeah I’m just havin’ some fun.  

3 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

An AUG would serve you well - I would take an AUG as my only long gun with no complaints - but the AR gives you more options with the rules given in the OP.

• Like 1

FN P90. Full auto, short barrel. 

FN 5.7 

Suppressors for both. 

If I had to go with just 2 guns forever I’d like shared ammo and high capacity  the 5.7 round has some nice ballistic properties.  I also like being able to put the P90 sight on target, pull the trigger and let many projectiles fly with almost no muzzle rise. I could carry lots of this ammo due to its light weight and small size.  

3 minutes ago, MedicYeti said:

the 5.7 round has some nice ballistic properties. 

:facepalm:

We looked hard at this for my agency. I shot a lot of ammo through a P90 (ammo is shockingly expensive and can be hard to find). Tons-of-Fun for sure and it’s a laser beam 50 yards and in.

But the terminal ballistics fall somewhere  between .22LR and .17HMR. In fact, I would rather have something chambered in .17 HMR than 5.7.

In police involved shootings where this was used (there had been a few down in Florida when we were looking) it took many rounds to incapacitate threats. Like almost whole 50 round mag dumps.

Not trying to dissuade your choice, the P90 is a fun pick for sure - I’m just throwing some realism out there.

• Like 1

:facepalm: We looked hard at this for my agency. I shot a lot of ammo through a P90 (ammo is shockingly expensive and can be hard to find). Tons-of-Fun for sure and it’s a laser beam 50 yards and in. But the terminal ballistics fall somewhere  between .22LR and .17HMR. In fact, I would rather have something chambered in .17 HMR than 5.7. In police involved shootings where this was used (there had been a few down in Florida when we were looking) it took many rounds to incapacitate threats. Like almost whole 50 round mag dumps. Not trying to dissuade your choice, the P90 is a fun pick for sure - I’m just throwing some realism out there.  

Everything I have read says the same thing. One quote was the only was you are stopping someone with 5.7 is if you put enough holes in them to bleed out. I believe the reason for the round was to meet NATO requirement of being able to penetrate body armor. 7.62x25mm goes right through Kevlar and is a much larger round that has been around for a long time and is relatively inexpensive.   

Know anything about the HK MP7 and it's smaller yet 4.6x30mm ammo. What about the B&T MP9 SMG that uses a propriety 6.5X25mm round? That one sounds more effective. Also there is a carbine in development that uses a 6.5x30mm round. The Swedes knew about 6.5mm a long time ago. What's old is new again.

This 6.5x30mm CBJ sounds nasty. It has the same dimensions as 9mm so same magazines can be used.

From Wikipedia

The standard saboted tungsten ball round can pierce 9 mm of armor plate and leave a 6 mm diameter entry hole when fired from a 300 mm length barrel. By comparison, 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO rounds cause little or no penetration to armor of that thickness. From a 300 mm barrel, the tungsten saboted round has the same trajectory as a 5.56 NATO from an M4 carbine and a velocity of 578 m/s (1,900 ft/s) at 300 m (328 yd), which will penetrate CRISAT armor.

28 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Everything I have read says the same thing. One quote was the only was you are stopping someone with 5.7 is if you put enough holes in them to bleed out. I believe the reason for the round was to meet NATO requirement of being able to penetrate body armor. 7.62x25mm goes right through Kevlar and is a much larger round that has been around for a long time and is relatively inexpensive.   

Know anything about the HK MP7 and it's smaller yet 4.6x30mm ammo. What about the B&T MP9 SMG that uses a propriety 6.5X25mm round? That one sounds more effective. Also there is a carbine in development that uses a 6.5x30mm round. The Swedes knew about 6.5mm a long time ago. What's old is new again.

This 6.5x30mm CBJ sounds nasty. It has the same dimensions as 9mm so same magazines can be used.

From Wikipedia

The standard saboted tungsten ball round can pierce 9 mm of armor plate and leave a 6 mm diameter entry hole when fired from a 300 mm length barrel. By comparison, 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO rounds cause little or no penetration to armor of that thickness. From a 300 mm barrel, the tungsten saboted round has the same trajectory as a 5.56 NATO from an M4 carbine and a velocity of 578 m/s (1,900 ft/s) at 300 m (328 yd), which will penetrate CRISAT armor.

As I understand it, the FN 5.7, the HK 4.6, and the entire PDW class of weapons currently fill a niche role - One I hope we never need CONUS.

In that role, they excel. But as a general purpose or any-other-purpose, they are lacking.

I imagine if these rounds were such successful “magic bullets”, we would be seeing them more frequently in the hands of men and women tasked with carrying firearms for a living.

• Like 1

I wonder how many of you answering AR platform would still pick that if the rule was more an "as configured by the manufacturer" and not "lower -based"? If you couldn't change the upper anymore, would the appeal still be there?

And with all the new 'unique' types of shotguns coming out these days, I wonder if a P90 style will ever be in the works. Would be a heavy gun with a full mag... Maybe a 9mm version is more practical. Or .17hmr, even if thats not that different from the original. I'd go for any of em, always wanted a P(S)90, but a 12ga or PC or rimfire version would be pretty awesome too.

2 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I wonder how many of you answering AR platform would still pick that if the rule was more an "as configured by the manufacturer" and not "lower -based"? If you couldn't change the upper anymore, would the appeal still be there?

M4A1, flat top, BUIS, red dot w/magnifier in 5.56 would meet all needs.

Been using the AR platform for just short of 50 years.  Always worked for me.

• Like 1

An AR for the long gun. If I cna have multiple uppers, then yay. But like HE said, a well set up semi with a 16" barrel gets a lot of stuff done well. 

PIstol, probably a decent double stack 1911 offspring of some sort. 

This is presuming free trade in accessories and such. It's pretty much what makes it out of the safe constantly of my own volition.