Malice4you

Just two guns for the rest of your life

If you're limited to two guns and there are no gun laws I'd still pick a M4A1 and a 4" 357 (686 or GP100).

The M4A1 takes care of a lot of needs.  Easily engages SD targets out to 200 meters.  If they are at 200 meters I stand a good chance of just getting away rather than engaging them.

The 5.56 will easily take game up to deer size.  Eskimos, Native Aklaskans, or whatever they want to be called use 5.56 for polar bear and walrus so it'll work for that.

357? Low capacity yes!  But that is a backup to the M4 with 30 or 40 Rd capacity. Remember the criteria "no gun laws".  I'll just open carry my M4.  Inconvenient?  I don't think so I did it with a M16 almost every day for a year. African carry is very quick with a long gun.  I was doing it 50 years ago but didn't know there was a name for it.   If I'm going into a fight I want a long gun. I agree with @High Exposure uses for full auto are very limited. I have the option if I need it though.

The 357.  Really a backup to the M4.  I can shoot small game with 38 wad cutters without blowing them to pieces.  I can use 357s with no issue for SD.  I can use std 38s, +p, +p+, as intermediate power levels.  You don't have that option with semiautos. Although there are no gun laws, the 4" 357 is not too big to conceal but big enough to hit well.

9s, 40s, 45s, don't have the flexibility of the 357.  Peter Capstick Hathaway (I'm showing my age!) used a 357 to kill a cape buffalo.

Reloads with a 357?  Using speed loaders they're very quick.  Most would be surprised at what a skilled revolver shooter will do from loops or a 2x2 pouch.

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

The 357.  Really a backup to the M4.  I can shoot small game with 38 wad cutters without blowing them to pieces.  I can use 357s with no issue for SD.  I can use std 38s, +p, +p+, as intermediate power levels.  You don't have that option with semiautos. 

You need a reloading setup...

Maybe not the same names are used, but I have loaded .223 from screaming hot to subsonic.  The option is definitely there.

4 hours ago, Bully said:

You need a reloading setup...

Maybe not the same names are used, but I have loaded .223 from screaming hot to subsonic.  The option is definitely there.

I'm referring to off the shelf ammo there.

I've been reloading for about 45 years.  Try reloading a 125 gr 9mm bullet down to 600 fps that will reliably work the action.  I can load a 125 gr 357 from 600 to 1500 fps in the 357.  I've never been a fan of "screaming hot" loads.  I've seen too many guns come apart in such quests.  No desire to turn a 5.56 into a 22-250 or a 9mm into a 357 magnum.  I've always felt if you need more power just get more gun.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I'm referring to off the shelf ammo there.

I've been reloading for about 45 years.  Try reloading a 125 gr 9mm bullet down to 600 fps that will reliably work the action.  I can load a 125 gr 357 from 600 to 1500 fps in the 357.  I've never been a fan of "screaming hot" loads.  I've seen too many guns come apart in such quests.  No desire to turn a 5.56 into a 22-250 or a 9mm into a 357 magnum.  I've always felt if you need more power just get more gun.

Do you have any salt? My foot is rather bland. 

• Like 2

I'm going with Mossberg 500 in 12ga. 24" barrel. Can shoot birdshot, buckshot and slugs. 

Handgun would be Glock 19. 

Parts are readily available and everyone sells 12ga and 9mm ammo. 

If we can go one platform with multiple barrels/uppers

I'd go with a sig with 9mm and 22 upper. And  for long gun a T/C Encore with multiple barrels....22, 12ga, .223, .300 win mag. 

• Like 1