NICS Backlog February 2018

On February 2nd, I went to buy an AR10 at Lou's Guns in Raritan at 5PM, I filled out all the paperwork, Chris told me it would likely be back in the morning today saturday the 3rd, apparently all day NICS checks were taking 3-4 hours. My NICS check came back at 12PM today, according to the NICS site this morning they were still backlogged from yesterday, while I was at Lou's today around 1 they were still waiting on one that he sent in at 10am, so yeah if you're planning to buy a gun anytime in the near future be prepared for 3+ hour turn around or if you're going in the evening, fill out your paperwork and come back the next day. Also check here daily to see if they have notifications about being back logged. 

My guess is everyone is racing to acquire their guns before we get Murph'd, I've talked to quite a few FFL's in North and Central Jersey, they can't keep any AR's or AK's in stock. Probably is what's lead to the backlog of NICS checks. 

odd, because the NICS site did indeed say they were backlogged. This was the longest I've waited myself honestly, I bought my LWRC last month and the NICS check took 5 minutes, the last few weapons I've bought took no longer than 30 minutes.

I think it's the murphy effect & any time gun control becomes a topic again. Like I said most FFL's right now can't keep "assault weapons" in stock because no one knows what is going to happen. Most home based FFL's don't have any right now, I was at RTSP yesterday and they had nothing but high end AR's or low end ones. A few mid range ones but their prices are higher than most FFL's.

Just now, JR88USMC said:

I think it's the murphy effect & any time gun control becomes a topic again. Like I said most FFL's right now can't keep "assault weapons" in stock because no one knows what is going to happen. Most home based FFL's don't have any right now, I was at RTSP yesterday and they had nothing but high end AR's or low end ones. A few mid range ones but their prices are higher than most FFL's.

or it could be that most FFLs dont want to overstock on something right now that could be banned next week, and then they are stuck with them and have to sell them online out of state.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cabalrayz said:

or it could be that most FFLs dont want to overstock on something right now that could be banned next week, and then they are stuck with them and have to sell them online out of state.

I talked to 7 different FFL's yesterday; Garden State Armory in Warren, Middlebrook Arms in Green Brook, Luciano's in Lodi, Cheyenne in Manville, Ramsey Outdoor in Roxbury, RTSP & Lou's where I ended up buying what I bought. Lou's doesn't really stock AR's in the first place but the other 6 all said they can't keep any AR's in stock other than the cheap Smith & Wesson one (which isn't bad but i'm sure people will resort to buying them too)

a long gun that I purchased on Buds got delivered to my FFL on Friday and when I called to tell them I would be coming in they took my info over the phone. They said they wanted to start processing the NICS check ahead of time so I didn't have to wait. Took a few hours for them to call me back to let me know it was done. When I showed up to get the gun around 4:30 they said a few people that they put in around 12 still werent done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NICS site says they're backed up from March 7th still. WTF? NICS was closed on the 7th because of the snow storm I thought.

The 4473 must be filled out at the dealer's premises, AND the check can't be done until that occurs. If the dealer is doing it differently, they are jeopardizing their license.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

My dealer submitted my info on tuesday. Honestly i’m surprised FFL’s were open wednesday to submit anything.

This is ridiculous. I’ve bought guns in Delaware and PA and never waited more than 5 minutes

This week and the last time I bought a rifle at the beginning of february have been the longest i’ve waited for NICS checks, but beginning of february was not this bad, that was friday evening in to saturday afternoon.

Maybe if NJ joined the rest of America and let the actual NICS system work rather than leaving it to 5 people to do an entire state, we would be slightly less pissed off.

According to the NICs unit - they were closed on Wed for the State of Emergency

and upon their return on Thursday, they had no power!

Now, I'm in the business, and I hear a lot of excuses, but telling dealer they had no power

when they are located in the NJSP headquarters is a bit of a streach - no?

• Like 2

they are located in Holmdel correct? I find it hard to believe they have no power. 6 years ago I was an HVAC contractor and we did work in the Holmdel barracks a few times, that place is fitted with emergency back up power, if they lose utility that building has so much redundancy to it they wouldn't notice.

5 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

they are located in Holmdel correct? I find it hard to believe they have no power. 6 years ago I was an HVAC contractor and we did work in the Holmdel barracks a few times, that place is fitted with emergency back up power, if they lose utility that building has so much redundancy to it they wouldn't notice.

Trenton 

I did just check their site and the note about them being back logged is gone, maybe they banged all of them out today :shrug: still haven't gotten a call from my FFL, knowing him he's probably closed up shop for the night.

23 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

According to the NICs unit - they were closed on Wed for the State of Emergency

and upon their return on Thursday, they had no power!

Now, I'm in the business, and I hear a lot of excuses, but telling dealer they had no power

when they are located in the NJSP headquarters is a bit of a streach - no?

And they were there... and you talked to them, while they were there. Lol

Pennsylvania’s system is fully automated and if a flag pops up in your background check, it connects to an operator who then determines whether they can approve your sale or not