Sign in to follow this  
KMA4626

Extended mags under 15 rounds

I was shooting my coworkers carry pistol over the weekend who lives in PA. It is a glock 43 with a +3 extended magazine. Would i be able to purchase this combination legally in nj? I am wondering because i really liked shooting it but i found it to be very uncomfortable to hold with the standard magazines. I found the "assault weapon" definition on wikipedia:

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and at least two of the following:

• Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
  • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
  • Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
  • Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more

I would imagine i could right? The only one it has is the extended magazine. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience or input. Id rather not make any assumptions given the fact that i have a gung ho police department in my area

Any magazine that can be used in a semi-auto, and exceeds the 15 round capacity is illegal to possess - whether or not you own the firearm. If you want to take the extended mag and limit it, mechanically, to 15 rounds, that's fine, but I expect that you could find yourself the target of harassment at some ranges.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If I want to be obtuse, I'd just say that I was just stating the general magazine statute so the OP would be in the know.

If I'm honest, I'd say so sue me because I don't know what Glock models are what. If it ain't steel and doesn't have one of those things that goes roundy-round I'm flying blind.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

If I want to be obtuse, I'd just say that I was just stating the general magazine statute so the OP would be in the know.

If I'm honest, I'd say so sue me because I don't know what Glock models are what. If it ain't steel and doesn't have one of those things that goes roundy-round I'm flying blind.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Which way roundy round?

The "Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip" bit is referring to something like a TEC-9 or AR pistol, where the pistol grip itself is only a pistol grip, and the magazine goes into a separate magwell - not like a Glock 23 (13rd factory magazine) or Glock 43 (factory 6rd) with a +2 on them.  The Glock 23 factory 13rd mag with a +3 extension on it would be illegal because of capacity, not because of the extra grip area.  If you were crazy and such a thing existed, you could have a +9 "extension" on a G43 for a 15 round capacity, though I have to imagine that might compromise concealability a bit. A G43 +10 "extension" would be illegal, silly, and even less concealable. 

But you could probably use the G43 as a war hammer or something if you ran out of ammo with that +9/+10...