SW9racer

SharkBite valve question

Then you aren’t on a well... you tend to get pin-hole leaks with copper unless you have a very deep well or you have a very good conditioning system.

The development I live in originally had copper installed. The guy I work with that has lived there longer than us has been fixing neighbors’ leaks for years. Also the reason why I did PEX, especially knowing we are leaving within the next year (results from the polygraph came back the other day, which I passed, so it isn’t a question of if but when). Only copper in our house is where I needed to put it, per code (out of the gas water heater, where it crosses the vent piping)... and used L for that, instead of M.

With the amount of plumbers that work for our company, I’ve seen a lot of stuff fail. We had an 1.5” ProPress coupling made without any teeth, which blew apart a few days after the work was done. I’ve seen McDonald couplings that I was on the original repair cause a leak with a year (watched the guy put it together, but was a manufacturing defect when we compared the old one to other in stock). I don’t see SharkBites failing at a higher rate than anything else.

However, I consider them an emergency or a quick fix. How my kitchen is currently set up, the bathroom and kitchen sinks are pretty much right behind one another (offset maybe a foot). When I did the plumbing for the bathroom sink, I still wanted the current kitchen sink to work until we redo the kitchen, next month. So, instead of running two more Ts to cap or put in a coupling, I ran the lines like I would for the bathroom, and put a SharkBite T where the 90 will be. Once I pull the SharkBite, crimp in a 90, and I’m done.

Reason why? I prefer something more permanent. Pipes should be secured, but that shoulder that comes out of the fitting is the only thing keeping it together. I rather take that out of the equation... unless I’m coming back to it somewhat soon.

You will not get pin hole leaks in domestic L copper which is required for well systems.

The pin hole leaks in copper I can guarantee you is imported M copper. I know multiple developments where it is an issue because builder and plumber were being cheap.

Rubber fails faster than copper. PEX I don't trust and already the He PEX has giant class action suit fund

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's why I use the word generally in my posts. Certain areas require different material but generally copper is still the most reliable. Even when you switch out copper for plastic you run into different set of possible issues. Discussion on wether sharkbites are reliable or not seems to always lead to well I use them and they work. For how long? The fittings have only been around since the early 2000's. I do use and I agree that they do come in handy in situations.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, cmarcell said:

Kinda , it's more like a Chinese finger trap with a oring.

gotcha....so same principle, just a little less secure. i was thinking that they should work, if the same thing as fi systems, 'cause those types of connections are now in fi systems, some coolant systems, atf cooling systems.......

We used lead for pluming from antiquity until around the 1920s.  Just because it’s been used a long time doesn’t mean it’s the best.
I never mentioned lead or terracotta or wood as being "gold standard".Cast iron has been around for over 200 years. Many are still in use that are over 100 years old. My whole argument isn't hard to grasp. Copper ,iron , and steel are not easy replaced and won't be for many years to come.