1LtCAP

German Shepherd Dog

Have you tried a harness that constricts when pulled? That walking technique paired with commands worked well for us, and always treats to reward. But once the leash came off, he knew enough we couldn't do anything. That's when we got the sport dog.  

At the end of the day, if you don't know proper ways to train a dog, it doesn't matter what you do. Whether it's a leash or an e-collar, neither will be effective. Even having it professionally trained will mean little if you don't reinforce the training at home. 

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Citronella spray collars are also on the market. I’ve been told by 2 that have used them; equally effective.

I'm not a fan of those bark collars. I like that my dogs bark. It's just how much they bark. I also like a more hands on approach, so I can reward the corrected behavior. Every teachable moment with a dog should be done with a command and a reward. . We used this thing called doggie don't, that emits a tazer sound, pretty sure it's actually a tazer. My dogs responded well to it, sit nicely by doors when ppl enter and stop barking with the command we used.

The biggest issue we had with the GS was his level of energy, very playful, he literally never thinks he's in trouble. 

6 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I'm not a fan of those bark collars. I like that my dogs bark. It's just how much they bark. I also like a more hands on approach, so I can reward the corrected behavior. Every teachable moment with a dog should be done with a command and a reward. . We used this thing called doggie don't, that emits a tazer sound, pretty sure it's actually a tazer. My dogs responded well to it, sit nicely by doors when ppl enter and stop barking with the command we used.

To each his own. 

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Have you tried a harness that constricts when pulled? That walking technique paired with commands worked well for us, and always treats to reward. But once the leash came off, he knew enough we couldn't do anything. That's when we got the sport dog.  

At the end of the day, if you don't know proper ways to train a dog, it doesn't matter what you do. Whether it's a leash or an e-collar, neither will be effective. Even having it professionally trained will mean little if you don't reinforce the training at home. 

i actually just picked up a harness that's got the d-ring in front at the chest. gonna try that.

enlarged text......that's where i'm at. i feel that me trying to train her myself would be like a plumber trying to diagnose his own emissions failure on his 2018 beemer. it's possible....just not really very smart or effective.

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

The biggest issue we had with the GS was his level of energy, very playful, he literally never thinks he's in trouble. 

this is kylie(my gsd). she always looks at me like she's an innocent bystander. "i din do nuffin!"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, capt14k said:

Hand signals was the advanced class. Of course he learned commands first. It wasn't cheap but for me it was worth it.

Now he has a Shangri-La for dogs. When I brought my dog he was in Freehold Boro.

http://www.shellysschoolfordogs.com

while i don't make the money i think you do.......i don't think i'd trust someone that was cheap. if this is the route i go(and it most likely will be), then i'd rather pay more now, and be good to go, with a good obedient, protective and loving dog/pet/friend.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:09 AM, xXxplosive said:

Nonsense......tellin' someone to get a collar like that and not even seeing the dog.

https://andersonk9training.com/

Call this man....he's a great trainer and former K9 NJSP......I recommend him highly.....reference, Otto's Dad.

Asa helped me with my GSD when he was 4 (the dog, not Asa). He did a great job. Lost my GSD last December and am about to adopt another myself. Super intelligent dogs. And they can be trained at any age, truly. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Asa helped me with my GSD when he was 4 (the dog, not Asa). He did a great job. Lost my GSD last December and am about to adopt another myself. Super intelligent dogs. And they can be trained at any age, truly. 

465316_10150898758187802_1187566439_o.jpg

Good looking GSD

48 minutes ago, AndyB said:

465316_10150898758187802_1187566439_o.jpg

i am truly sorry to hear of your loss.....and in addition to all of the fantastic advice, your post just gave me incredible hope!

one thing i'd left out earlier...'cause mom hadn't told me till tonight.....she took her out in the yard the other day. neighbor came home, and saw kylie. neighbor used to have a super cool rot.....but she passed about a year ago. so anyway......becky comes over to talk to mom, and meet kylie.....kylie getting over-excited, yanked the leash, knocking mom down. she only bruised her knee and pinky finger, but it's something that shoudn't have happened. i want kylie to be able to protect mom when i'm not around.

that all said...becky....my neighbor....suggested cutting a hotdog into little pieces, and using that as reward for little things. i did that tonight. while she normally won't sit on first command, when she saw i had a treat in my hand, she sat without me having to say anything. this leads me to believe that someone's done that with her. gave mom the treat and kylie just looked at her. mom told her to sit, and she sat 2nd time. i told her to praise her and sound excited as she gave the treat to her. i had her do this three times for now......mom got tired of it, lolol.

now i gotta decide who to go to for her training........

1 minute ago, AndyB said:

Reward training works very well. We started with hot dogs, but moved to Pet Botanics Training Rewards, which you can get from Petsmart and Amazon. Less messy and easy to carry in pockets.

Absolutely! I use freeze dried liver treats

• Like 1

https://www.chewy.com/cloud-star-chewy-tricky-trainers/dp/36390?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Cloud Star&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2M2979WW2QIVVgeGCh1Rfgd3EAQYAiABEgJe7PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We used these treats, the freeze dry stuff is great but I find it crumbles too easily. 

We discovered our hound is highly allergic to alot of stuff, and we switched over to pure freeze dried liver beef chicken and turkey.

13 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

one thing i'd left out earlier...'cause mom hadn't told me till tonight.....she took her out in the yard the other day. neighbor came home, and saw kylie. neighbor used to have a super cool rot.....but she passed about a year ago. so anyway......becky comes over to talk to mom, and meet kylie.....kylie getting over-excited, yanked the leash, knocking mom down. she only bruised her knee and pinky finger, but it's something that shoudn't have happened. i want kylie to be able to protect mom when i'm not around.

that all said...becky....my neighbor....suggested cutting a hotdog into little pieces, and using that as reward for little things. i did that tonight. while she normally won't sit on first command, when she saw i had a treat in my hand, she sat without me having to say anything. this leads me to believe that someone's done that with her. gave mom the treat and kylie just looked at her. mom told her to sit, and she sat 2nd time. i told her to praise her and sound excited as she gave the treat to her. i had her do this three times for now......mom got tired of it, lolol.

now i gotta decide who to go to for her training........

Reward training is what has worked best for me.  We had a GSD a long time ago, and she learned from that.  Well, that and also making sure the dog is always beta.  They will constantly challenge new members of the "pack" for dominance.  You generally want your dog to always be the lowest so they are the least aggressive with family/friends.

Just think of the hot dogs as bullets.  Every time you did something for your mom and she gave you a box of rounds.  

YEA......i'll have to do something besides hotdogs.....can't put them in my pocket,lolol
Plus they aren't exactly healthy for the dog. Organic Chicken Livers, Blue Dog Treats, etc are much better.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, NJJoe22 said:

A prong collar along with positive re-enforcement (treats) will be quick and effective leash training.

Jumping into this thread, as I'm going though a similar situation training my 8 month old Labrador Retriever. This actually is my 3rd Lab, but I'm handling training completely different. I'm in an advanced class now and have been doing tremendous research and planning to make sure I lead this pup the right direction. At 8 months, he's further along with cues and behaviors than my last Lab was at 3 years old, and she was a great dog.

1) The owner/handler has to ALWAYS be the Alpha, ALWAYS, and the dog has to know that.

she seems to have had some training, as she's relatively well behaved....but she doesn't listen, which leads me to believe that she hasn't had too much.

99% of the time the owner needs training just as much as the dog.

The majority of dog obedience issues are caused by the owners. A dog will only learn (or NOT learn) what the owner teaches it or what the owner allows it to do. Being that the dog is two years old, it's had a lot of time to build up bad habits. The good thing, a dog is always able to learn something new.

My suggestion is to go heavy with the treat/reward system to re-train the dog. It's going to take some time, which will mean dedication to the task, and will have to be implemented multiple times a day. EVERY TIME you want the dig to do a task (sit, lay down, come, walking, socializing, etc.) should be done with treats/rewards until she starts to respond to each command instantly. It sounds like you're going to have to reprogram her and get her to focus on the requests of the Alpha.

I'll repeat, this is going to take time and dedication to work with and train her. You'll have to decide if you can put the time in or refer it off to a trainer.

Regarding the jumping and pulling when walking, my Lab (due to being a puppy) is (or I should say WAS) a puller and jumper. I have a box full of different collars, harnesses, leaders that I've tried to correct this issue. I finally decided to go with a prong collar (which looks medieval), and it solved that pulling and jumping issue. I at first didn't want to go that route, thinking that I would hurt him, but after tons of research and reading and watching videos, I learned the correct way to use it.

There is an exact way to fit and use the prong collar, I can't express that enough, plus learning the psychology on how to apply the correction. Using a prong collar the wrong way, is worse than not using one.

Your girl sounds like she will need some help in the walking, socialization and jumping area. This collar can help.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Jumping into this thread, as I'm going though a similar situation training my 8 month old Labrador Retriever. This actually is my 3rd Lab, but I'm handling training completely different. I'm in an advanced class now and have been doing tremendous research and planning to make sure I lead this pup the right direction. At 8 months, he's further along with cues and behaviors than my last Lab was at 3 years old, and she was a great dog.

1) The owner/handler has to ALWAYS be the Alpha, ALWAYS, and the dog has to know that.

The majority of dog obedience issues are caused by the owners. A dog will only learn (or NOT learn) what the owner teaches it or what the owner allows it to do. Being that the dog is two years old, it's had a lot of time to build up bad habits. The good thing, a dog is always able to learn something new.

My suggestion is to go heavy with the treat/reward system to re-train the dog. It's going to take some time, which will mean dedication to the task, and will have to be implemented multiple times a day. EVERY TIME you want the dig to do a task (sit, lay down, come, walking, socializing, etc.) should be done with treats/rewards until she starts to respond to each command instantly. It sounds like you're going to have to reprogram her and get her to focus on the requests of the Alpha.

I'll repeat, this is going to take time and dedication to work with and train her. You'll have to decide if you can put the time in or refer it off to a trainer.

Regarding the jumping and pulling when walking, my Lab (due to being a puppy) is (or I should say WAS) a puller and jumper. I have a box full of different collars, harnesses, leaders that I've tried to correct this issue. I finally decided to go with a prong collar (which looks medieval), and it solved that pulling and jumping issue. I at first didn't want to go that route, thinking that I would hurt him, but after tons of research and reading and watching videos, I learned the correct way to use it.

There is an exact way to fit and use the prong collar, I can't express that enough, plus learning the psychology on how to apply the correction. Using a prong collar the wrong way, is worse than not using one.

Your girl sounds like she will need some help in the walking, socialization and jumping area. This collar can help.

Solid advice.

Prong collers are good but I've seen better success with muzzle collars. Generally but that was not the case with one of my own dog

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

It’s technically a wiener dog

Easy now, dont insult wiener dogs 

Am I right? @Displaced Texan 

• Like 1

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 0:20 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i'm sitting eating lunch, reading the faqs on andersons site. gonna sound like a dumb question.....but if during obedience training, she's being trained only by the trainer.....and the owner's not there....how then does that teach her to listen to us?

one of you guys mentioned hand signals. that would be good for mom. she just can't project her voice loud/authoritative like most of us can.

The trainer teaches the behaviors over and over, once she learns the behaviors, it usually pretty easy for anyone else to get her to respond to them. He'll show you the exact method. I'm taking my pup to class, then coming back and teaching my family how to apply the cues to get him to follow and listen. It can be done, once she totally understands the cues.

Regarding hand signals, I'm 100% in agreement in combining hand signals with verbal commands. I actually did that indirectly with my last Lab, and it got to the point that I never gave her verbal commands, just hand signals. But, you still need to use verbal commands, as other family members will use them.

In the current training with my pup, I'm definitely using hand signals in the training, by 4 months, he was responding to sit and down using them. I absolutely suggest to do both, verbal and hand signals.

• Like 1