1LtCAP

German Shepherd Dog

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Nothing for nothing, but I'm taking my pup to Petsmart for training classes. Some would consider that amature hour, but I really didn't go there to learn how to train a dog. I went there to expose my pup to all the adventures of the store. Much of the training takes place in the aisles of the store.

It's a great place to socialize the dog, with all the dogs and owners in class, then add in all the distraction with other shoppers and dogs, all the noise, all the store workers, and shelves of products. Try getting your dog to concentrate on what you want him to do while walking down the food aisle or toy aisle, or when a shopper and dog pass by.

Something to consider.

i'd considered petsmart. till i saw how much other dogs get her riled up. i think it'd be ab bad idea for now.....

now i just learned something else tonight. i put the harness on her when i walked her tonight. it's the kind with the d-ring in front right at her chest. she stood still while i put it on, but got antsy a couple times....easily solved by petting her belly. adjusted it, leashed her, and went out for a walk. she was literally a different dog. she'd give very super light tugs here n there, but no pulling ahead of me, no pulling towards someones yard 'cause she smelled their pets, none of that crap. and tonights walk was almost 2 miles......normally just under a mile. i'm learning something new every night it seems. i'm happy with that.

• Like 2

With leash training you want exactly that kinda result. When my dogs start to pull they get a sharp tug( with a command) and we stop walking. When their attention is on me we start walking again. After time those sharp tugs is enough and we don't even stop. After even more time the command works effectively.  And praise for walking nicely. Our hound gets a little pep in his step when we praise him, it's kinda funny. 

People make the mistake of letting their dog walk them. There shouldn't be tension on a leash when walking. The more you're aware of their triggers, the more you can predict when a tug will be necessary and pull in some leash slack. 

• Like 2

i'm down in camden county. i've talked to k9 basics, and guardian....both local to me. i'm gonna talk to anderson and shellys today and/or tomorrow.

she's now still trying to pull even with the harness. passed a house where they had their dogs out in their back yard the other night.....and she tried to slip the leash again. i had one on the collar and one on the harness though, so she didn't pull that off.

in the house, she's finally settling in a little. she's starting to let her playful side out. not much room inside my house to run, but i'm making that happen anyway. she's showing less nervousness when i pick up the broom to sweep. now i just gotta get her socialization problems and basic obedience handled, and she'll be set to go......

On 2/7/2018 at 9:51 AM, capt14k said:

Best trainer around is Shelly in Millstone Twp. He trains the police dogs. He got my Lab to follow hand signals. Not cheap but effective.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Green Leaf in Millstone is Good. Not cheap but I got my GSD in line. 

On 2/7/2018 at 2:48 PM, CageFighter said:

i'd stay away from Jagermeister GSD. 

I second this. I got my dog there and he is high strung. He gets bored easy. I fenced in a half acre for him and he plays a lot. We do a lot in the yard with him. 

His big things: his ball on a rope, his nyla bone and ice cubes. 

19 minutes ago, bry@n said:

Who did your u go with?

this is gonna make me sound weird.

the day she slipped her collar, was the day i saw the guardian k9 training truck drive by the shop. almost like someone was trying to tell me something. i've talked with her on the phone. she's gonna stop by the shop to talk to me about what she can do. if i like the sounds of it, i'm gonna give her first shot....if after a short period i don't see marked improvement, then i'm gonna go with either k9 basics or andersons.

On 2/7/2018 at 9:32 AM, 1LtCAP said:

chances are good i'm about to adopt a 2 year old GSD. she seems to have had some training, as she's relatively well behaved....but she doesn't listen, which leads me to believe that she hasn't had too much. she's not good around other dogs. simple commands it's hit or miss if she obeys or not for me....and she refuses to listen to mom(who's trying to help me with her).  she's always pulling at the leash when i try to walk her, and she's easily distracted. she'll bark at other dogs, and she barks at other people. those last 2 lead me to believe that she's not had much training in that, and that she was possibly not socialized at all....

my questions are....at this age, is she trainable? as in can i reasonably expect to train her to be as good as we all know shepherds are? is it something i can do myself, or would i be better off seeking a local trainer? if it's better to seek a trainer, does anyone have any local to cherry hill area recommendations?

right now, she's with me at my house. both myself and the family i'm considering adopting her from are waiting to see if we can get her to fall into place here before we make it permenant.

I know I am late to the game here....but yes she is trainable. 

I have a 7 year-old GSD. Love him to death. Some things i have learned about GSD's...  They are very smart and very trainable. Mine is very smart and always ties to be the Alpha dog. Easy corrections and is well behaved. I trained him using a pinch collar recommended by my vet. It has worked wonders. Like you dog, when on leash they want to pull like sled dogs. That is because they a herding dog. My GSD is better OFF leash than ON. When on leash he likes to pull, but one tug of the pinch collar sets him right. He simply does not like a leash.  Now off leash he does not go more than 6' away from me unless I let him run free. He constantly looks back at me to see if it is okay to run. I stop; he stops. I call him he comes back to me left side and sits. I take him to local park to run him. He is full of energy at 7 years-old. I call him the Terminator because he will not stop running or fetching his tennis ball. 

When was younger (1.5y.o) he was dog friendly, but some stupid lady at a dog park had a un-neutered male dog (not allowed at dog parks) and her dog jumped on my GSD's back to bite. Ever since then he does not like most other dogs. I try often to have him socialized with other dogs; he likes to play, but often goes into "full Shepherd mode" I call it and that often times scares people. While out for a drive he will bark at most passing things (people, bicyclists, other dogs, etc), but it is just like "courtesy" woof, not a vicious attack bark. I take him out in public all the time whether it be the park, Petsmart, etc. I often take him into Tractor Supply with me. We go on Saturday morning rides to get the paper. I take mine swimming in the summertime; he loves the water. 

They are great dogs; super smart and constantly need some thing or task to do. The get bored very easily. They are always thinking and studying. Mine sits at the top of the steps or in the middle of two rooms so he can see everything. They are great guard dogs and companions. My only gripe is the amount of shedding he does; could have made another dog out of him with all the hair.