1LtCAP

German Shepherd Dog

chances are good i'm about to adopt a 2 year old GSD. she seems to have had some training, as she's relatively well behaved....but she doesn't listen, which leads me to believe that she hasn't had too much. she's not good around other dogs. simple commands it's hit or miss if she obeys or not for me....and she refuses to listen to mom(who's trying to help me with her).  she's always pulling at the leash when i try to walk her, and she's easily distracted. she'll bark at other dogs, and she barks at other people. those last 2 lead me to believe that she's not had much training in that, and that she was possibly not socialized at all....

my questions are....at this age, is she trainable? as in can i reasonably expect to train her to be as good as we all know shepherds are? is it something i can do myself, or would i be better off seeking a local trainer? if it's better to seek a trainer, does anyone have any local to cherry hill area recommendations?

right now, she's with me at my house. both myself and the family i'm considering adopting her from are waiting to see if we can get her to fall into place here before we make it permenant.

Get a sport dog training collar. 

My GS went from a total asshole to an obedient doggy. 

He had many of the same issues you describe, and we adopted him at a little over 1.

After a few shocks he got the gist, and the audio beep can be used there after, only shocking when he too ignores that. 

I shocked myself with the collar, and a setting 3 isn't painful.

My issue with formal training is that it takes a lot of time and money, the collar isn't expensive and provides near instant results. 

After a few months we stopped using the collar all together. 

The hardest part is creating trainable moments, this is where professional training is better. However, with any training, reinforcement is the key.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

Nonsense......tellin' someone to get a collar like that and not even seeing the dog.

https://andersonk9training.com/

Call this man....he's a great trainer and former K9 NJSP......I recommend him highly.....reference, Otto's Dad.

Nonsense? What is there to see? The behavior has been accurately described and you can train a dog in a variety of different ways. 

You said the dog needs to be obedience trained first, and that is a proven method of doing so.

Just so we're clear here, the dog isnt punished using the collar, it's a method to redirect it's attention, paired with positive reinforcement for good behavior.

Let me also point out that the trainer you just referenced uses e-collars, directly stated in their FAQs

Why do we use e-collars?

Modern E-Collar training is the most effective, most reliable, most humane, and transformational training available today

18 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

......another Professional Dog Trainer, here we go.....won't even respond to that comment....geeezzz.

So you have an issue with using a training technique that the trainer you just referenced uses? 

I don't mean to be a dick but, seriously?

1 minute ago, xXxplosive said:

Not at all if it's determined to be necessary and if you have someone qualified in teaching you how to use the method after seeing the dog.......it's not just pushing buttons and electrocuting the animal for a beginner.

It's pretty inherent that if you want to train a dog yourself you need to learn how to actual do it. 

That fact youre sensationalizing this technique as electrocuting the dog says all I need to know about your argument.

You either spend the time to learn how to do it, or pay someone to do it for you. 

There really is no such thing as a dog too old to learn.  However, the dog seems to be showing signs of boredom, not enough exercise and stress.  It's common for working dogs that are high energy to act that way when they are in a new environment and are not getting enough mental stimulation.  Definitely talk to a trainer, but taking in a 2 yo - even if they were trained - can lead to this as the dog gets used to its new environment.

Be patient, take a little time to let the dog get used to the family and house, and get help from a trainer.

In no time you will see big improvements.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

There really is no such thing as a dog too old to learn.  However, the dog seems to be showing signs of boredom, not enough exercise and stress.  It's common for working dogs that are high energy to act that way when they are in a new environment and are not getting enough mental stimulation.  Definitely talk to a trainer, but taking in a 2 yo - even if they were trained - can lead to this as the dog gets used to its new environment.

Be patient, take a little time to let the dog get used to the family and house, and get help from a trainer.

These are good points, something to consider is that if you can't provide the dog enough exercise you way want to reconsider adopting it. 

Walking a GSD is not exercise. 

52 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

@1LtCAP

bonding takes time and patience. Alpha beta. Be the Alpha, your mother needs to be the alpha also.

training takes time and patience. Ask, tell, make, then reward. 

New surroundings, new smells, new people causes stress. For the most part you get out what you put in.

congrats!

thanks guys. i'm giving her time to learn our house, our habits, and the area. this is why i'm only walking her right now. i can tell she's still learning the area by the way she's constantly looking 'round, and when in the yard, she seems to track the scents of the stray cats and/or the deer in the area. should this become permanent(99%chance it will, 'cause she's awesome!) i'll fence in the rear of my yard(i border on a lake so only 3 sides fenced). it's not a crazy big yard, but is 120x140.....so if i can let her have the run of the yard, i know she'll get tons of exercise. there's a couple dog parks nearby i can take her to also.

as mentioned, i'd considered a zap collar for her.....but if i can avoid it, i'd rather not. i'm not rich by any stretch, but i don't mind paying a good trainer to get her at least to the point where i could then take over, and that she'd listen to mom.

7 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

For those of you who do not know John personally, he is an excellent mechanic!

I was having trouble with my sound system and installed two 12" Subs in my trunk..........

2 - 12 inch subs.jpg

aaaaahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Like 1

i'm sitting eating lunch, reading the faqs on andersons site. gonna sound like a dumb question.....but if during obedience training, she's being trained only by the trainer.....and the owner's not there....how then does that teach her to listen to us? 

one of you guys mentioned hand signals. that would be good for mom. she just can't project her voice loud/authoritative like most of us can.

Yes dogs can be trained at any age. Contrary to popular belief you can teach an old dog new tricks .

99% of the time the owner needs training just as much as the dog. Sending your dog to a trainer will get the dog trained but when the dog comes home if the owner is not trained also the dog will revert back maybe not all the way back but it will happen. Dogs are constantly pushing to see what they can get away with. Let them get away with one little thing and they will push it further next time. 

Hand signals are very easy to teach dogs. While you're training for a voice command and do the same hand signals all the time consistently and the dog will learn both voice and hand signals at the same time. 

In my opinion the best thing OP can do is search 4 a group of German Shepherd dog owners in New Jersey and get a trainer recommndation from them. I don't know any trainers that far south. Have the dog owner go to training with the the dog. Group classes would probably be most beneficial as it sounds to me like the dog was not properly socilized when it was younger. 

As for "professional" dog trainers there is no such thing. There is no standard certification for dog trainers in the US. Anyone that gets paid for training dogs is technically a professional. 

• Like 5

The only problem with hand signals is the dog must be in sight of the owner, or person giving the command. That works well for Sit, down, back up, ect. but not for come..........

Hand signals was the advanced class. Of course he learned commands first. It wasn't cheap but for me it was worth it.

Now he has a Shangri-La for dogs. When I brought my dog he was in Freehold Boro.

http://www.shellysschoolfordogs.com

3 hours ago, capt14k said:

Best trainer around is Shelly in Millstone Twp. He trains the police dogs. He got my Lab to follow hand signals. Not cheap but effective.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine’s dog was trained there.  Amazing work. 

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

as mentioned, i'd considered a zap collar for her.....but if i can avoid it, i'd rather not. i'm not rich by any stretch, but i don't mind paying a good trainer to get her at least to the point where i could then take over, and that she'd listen to mom.

aaaaahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm very curious to know, if you decide to use a trainer, what method they use for obedience training. Based on the place xXxplosive suggested I would ask if that is their primary method for training these types of situations, that is if you want to avoid it. I say this because their FAQ seems to indicate it is a primary method for training that they rely upon. Consider if they do use them, if the training is something you can learn on your own that wont cost you thousands of dollars. 

From most places I have seen, they use an assortment of prong, choke and e-collars. All depending on the level of control needed over the dog. 

18 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I'm very curious to know, if you decide to use a trainer, what method they use for obedience training. Based on the place xXxplosive suggested I would ask if that is their primary method for training these types of situations, that is if you want to avoid it. I say this because their FAQ seems to indicate it is a primary method for training that they rely upon. Consider if they do use them, if the training is something you can learn on your own that wont cost you thousands of dollars. 

From most places I have seen, they use an assortment of prong, choke and e-collars. All depending on the level of control needed over the dog. 

Citronella spray collars are also on the market. I’ve been told by 2 that have used them; equally effective.