slickskin

How do I get started?

So I'm a young man from New Jersey and totally new to guns. I'm interested in getting some basic training and education on firearms. After that I want to buy my own gun mostly for sport, as in to use at shooting ranges and that sort of thing, maybe one I can have in the house for self defense, but one step at at time.

Unfortunately New Jersey has the toughest gun laws in the nation I understand. This is what dissuaded me for a while. I don't have any criminal record but I'm worried that it might be a hard process where they will try to stop me from using my 2nd amendment rights.

So can you guys walk me though what I'd have to do to get started here and what to expect?

You have a truly "minimalist" profile, LOL! I suggest you provide a little more info: Where do you live? What first caught your interest about shooting? Have you been shooting before, and if so, what did you shoot (rifle, handgun, shotgun)? Where did you go?

Many people on here are instructors, or experienced shooters... they often invite people/guest them in at their range. If you provide a bit more info... people can chime in with suggestions from there. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

You have a truly "minimalist" profile, LOL! I suggest you provide a little more info: Where do you live? What first caught your interest about shooting? Have you been shooting before, and if so, what did you shoot (rifle, handgun, shotgun)? Where did you go?

Many people on here are instructors, or experienced shooters... they often invite people/guest them in at their range. If you provide a bit more info... people can chime in with suggestions from there. :)

Sorry, I just joined about 5 minutes before I wrote that. I live in Morris County. What caught my interest was looking at some magazines in bookstores, and hearing friends from other states talk about their own guns. I guess it was something in the back of my mind for a while but I just know this state sometimes makes it difficult for people to own weapons with all the regulations and permits and all that stuff and I guess I let that intimidate me.

It sounds like you've never been shooting before? That would probably be a good place to start. You should probably try it out first. If you like it, then deal with the paperwork...

I seem to recall there's a pinned thread on here somewhere with a set of FAQs. Perhaps one of the mods can chime in first and confirm if it's still up-to-date and then point you in that direction.

If you are interested......

I am an Instructor at RTSP in Randolph.....  They have a 2 hour Intro class that might fit your needs to see if you want to go further in the hobby....

PM me directly if you want to set it up through me, or I can give you the info to contact the Training Dept at RTSP.

Let me know

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

^^^^^  What Troy said above - RTSP is a great place to start.  You can rent a gun there and learn how to shoot with an instructor in no time flat - as of this writing you don't even need any permits or government approval.  You will want to apply for you FID card asap as it can take a while to get.  Assuming you want handgun(S) apply for pistol purchase permits at the same time (that involves just checking a box and paying $2 for each Pistol permit (P2P).  If you are like most of us one will not be enough so apply for three or four even though they expire in 90 days or 180 with renewal.  

I was in your shoes about five years ago.  I watched a bunch of videos on Youtube which actually taught me a lot so I knew which end of the gun to point at the target (ha ha ha) when I got to RTSP.

• Like 1

+1 on what was already posted above... but you are where i was 4 months ago.   Although I had shot a handful of times before .. I finally decided to dive in and start the paperwork process and did so in November.  Got my FID and permits at the end of January and im now officially a gun owner.   RTSP is a nice place.. that's where I go to shoot right now... I have a membership as well. I Intend on joining Cherry Ridge as well in the next few months for some outdoor shooting as im interested in getting into precision rifle shooting.

If you have never shot before you will want to go to a range that rents guns and give it a whirl first.. make sure its something you want to continue in.  The biggest pain at this stage is in order to rent a gun at one of these ranges to try it, without having a firearms ID card, you need to have another person with you, you cant go by yourself. So you will need to find a buddy, brother, co-worker.. anyone to go with you. Then all you need is a driver's license.

The paperwork process to get your FID and or permits is burdensome .. but worth it... just know to have patience as it will take some time. You would think in today's day and age it would be a more streamlined process .. nut this is NJ after all and of course they like to make it extremely hard to do so.

Each town is slightly different with some of their procedures... but you need to download both form STS 033 and S.P. 066 form NJ State Police website here:  http://www.njsp.org/firearms/forms.shtml

My PD required 2 copies of the STS 033 and 1 copy of SP066.  Fill them out with a computer, do not fill them out by hand.  Some police departments wont accept hand written forms.   Where you need to sign and date the forms... do not fill that out.. you will do that in person at the police department. Make sure not to lie on your forms :)

Call your towns police department ID Bureau and ask them about coming in to file for firearms lD and permits. some Police departments do this on certain days and some by appt only.   Also ask what forms of payment they will accept for them as well as some PD's wont accept cash, so you may need a money order. The FID is $5 and each pistol purchase permit is $2 (assuming your 21 or older).  The FID allows you to buy ammo and any amount of long guns, but you need a pistol purchase permit for each handgun purchase and you can only buy one handgun every 30 days. You will need your drivers license and the forms and payment and you take that to the police department to start the process.   They will give you a special form that you will then need to go online and book a finger printing session which will be about $58 and you can pay that via credit card at the finger printing location (they have a bunch all over the place)

You need to supply two references on STS 033.   My PD gave me two forms that I had to take to my references and get filled out and signed by them and then I had to bring them back to the PD myself. Some PD's I heard reach out themselves by mailing forms to the references or calling them.  But once all that is done, then its just a waiting game.   You are supposed to have a response back in 30 days as per state law but almost every PD drags their feet. Expect it to take at least 3 months.   If you're lucky it will be sooner... but it could be longer as well.  In my experience, the detective that i was dealing with at the PD flat out told me it will take 2 to 3 months.  They say the hold up is the SP 066 Mental Health check and that it takes the state a while to get them that back like there is only 1 person per county doing that work.   State government there so I wouldnt doubt it.

If the PD tries to get you to do anything else on top of what I just stated... like a form for your employer to fill out or your spouse to fill out etc.. its illegal and they shouldnt be doing that.

After all that is done .. down the road if you need to/want to purchase more pistols, you need more purchase permits and need to do this whole process over (minus the fingerprint part).   But then they add a state background check that you need to go online and pay $20 for...  and that is each time you go to get more permits.   Big PITA, but worth it in the end.

You will come out of this process absolutely disgusted with the state of NJ and its gun laws :) 

6 hours ago, 67gtonut said:

If you are interested......

I am an Instructor at RTSP in Randolph.....  They have a 2 hour Intro class that might fit your needs to see if you want to go further in the hobby....

PM me directly if you want to set it up through me, or I can give you the info to contact the Training Dept at RTSP.

Let me know

Welcome to the forum.

I didn't know you were an instructor there!  Good to know.  Your RO's are great, helped me zero a red dot on my AR.  It's a great place.  

To the OP:

Since you are in Morris, I second (or third I'm not counting) going to RTSP.  It's a great place to go for your first shoot.  They rent guns - and have a good variety - have a great showroom, are very friendly and have a very nice place.   It will definitely make you comfortable for your first time.  Expect to spend a little money, but that is just the tip for this passion.  Guns and ammo cost money, expect to spend it.

5 hours ago, slickskin said:

When you apply for an FID do they also want to do a background check on other people that live in the same household? I don't want the other person in the household to get questioned or even know that I'm applying lol.

They shouldn't.

Get your application into your PD ASAP.  They more than likely have a handout telling you what steps have to be completed and when.  This part takes the longest and get it done before Murphy changes anything,  At the same time you can go the training route as mentioned above, but I would consider taking the firearm portion of the Hunter's Ed course given free by the NJ Department of Fish Game and Wildlife.  Check their website for dates and times.  I am willing to bet the Hunter's Ed course will be a qualifier when Murphy changes gun ownership regulations,  Maybe not, time will tell, but having completed the course and now offerings early in the year is not a bad option.  

7 hours ago, slickskin said:

When you apply for an FID do they also want to do a background check on other people that live in the same household? I don't want the other person in the household to get questioned or even know that I'm applying lol.

They shouldn't but if that person is prohibited from owning firearms that's another issue and that will cause you problems.

It took me 6 months to get my permits the first time and I know in some places it could take 18.  Fortunately those wait times have been reduced dramatically thanks to ANJRPC and others.  As mentioned some towns are pretty straight forward, others are a PITA.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, T Bill said:

Get your application into your PD ASAP.  They more than likely have a handout telling you what steps have to be completed and when.  This part takes the longest and get it done before Murphy changes anything,  At the same time you can go the training route as mentioned above, but I would consider taking the firearm portion of the Hunter's Ed course given free by the NJ Department of Fish Game and Wildlife.  Check their website for dates and times.  I am willing to bet the Hunter's Ed course will be a qualifier when Murphy changes gun ownership regulations,  Maybe not, time will tell, but having completed the course and now offerings early in the year is not a bad option.  

What do you predict him changing? It's already one of the only states that requires this FID. If he could make it harder for people to get maybe he could also make it easier to take away even if you already have it?

Just now, slickskin said:

I'm usually never for stronger restrictions but I admit I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to take a training course prior to getting the permit. I'm going to do that anyway.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Did you get training before posting on the internet?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Did you get training before posting on the internet?

Of course he did... need to learn to read, write, type, formulate thoughts and sentences... if not the first internet post looks something like this:

7h4r8f7h&^FR#&^EG#YT8yHGD*&@^TD*#DOI#EYDT#&DE^G

:)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lakota said:

Of course he did... need to learn to read, write, type, formulate thoughts and sentences... if not the first internet post looks something like this:

7h4r8f7h&^FR#&^EG#YT8yHGD*&@^TD*#DOI#EYDT#&DE^G

:)

I can translate that!

45 minutes ago, slickskin said:

I'm usually never for stronger restrictions but I admit I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to take a training course prior to getting the permit. I'm going to do that anyway.

it's not unreasonable to ask. but it is VERY unreasonable to require. and illegal. and unconstitutional.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

it's not unreasonable to ask. but it is VERY unreasonable to require. and illegal. and unconstitutional.

Sure, but it's not as bad as asking for an FID permit. All states require a background check anyway so why isn't that enough? Why do I have to go to a police station and get finger printed and come up with references and all this other crap first just to get to the next step?! I think that's very unconstitutional and not needed. I'm really pissed about it.

18 minutes ago, slickskin said:

Sure, but it's not as bad as asking for an FID permit. All states require a background check anyway so why isn't that enough? Why do I have to go to a police station and get finger printed and come up with references and all this other crap first just to get to the next step?! I think that's very unconstitutional and not needed. I'm really pissed about it.

You don’t go to PD to get fingerprinted...

26 minutes ago, slickskin said:

Buying face to face in a free state requires no background check, no prints, no photos, no references, no receipts, no nothing. Merica!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slickskin said:

you only have to do that to purchase. you do not need that fpid to possess.

3 hours ago, slickskin said:

Nothing wrong with suggesting a training class, but when you "require" training then it is no longer a right and it becomes a privilege.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

you only have to do that to purchase. you do not need that fpid to possess.

I just don't see why the state demands it when you have to go through the background check to purchase anyway. It's clearly just to discourage you by making you go through a process involving fees and waiting periods references and hassles. 

• Like 1