slickskin

Can I buy a gun in another state?

I'm a resident of NJ. I understand NJ has ridiculously heavy restrictions and is only one of three states to require a permit to purchase a long gun. I'm wondering if it would be easier to just drive to PA and buy a gun there where it's less regulated? Would they sell to someone out of state? Would I get in trouble if I was caught with it here.

I want to get into guns and shooting for hobby and sport, maybe join a shooting range or take basic classes, nothing nefarious. But I know NJ legislature doesn't have much respect for the 2nd amendment. 

No, other states are required to follow NJ Firearm laws(because you are a resident here). PA will still require your NJ paperwork and send that information to NJ state when necessary. They will still do the NICS (or, in PA, PICS) check and all that fun stuff.
NJ isnt THAT difficult, people just seem to think it is and therefore people seem to be afraid to get into the sport. I was the same way, once you learn what is and isn't Kosher its somewhat easy to navigate around all of the BS Legislature.

Long story short, you COULD buy a Rifle  in another state, but it won't be any easier, plus, those dealers may not have NJ-legal firearms. I'd hope they'd know better but if they sold you an AR15 with, say, a 30rd magazine or with a muzzle device (Flash hider, brake, etc) that is illegal (Flash hiders in general are a no-go), or not pinned, that can be an issue.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, carl_g said:

With out an FID as a New Jersey resident, you won't be able to buy a long gun in PA. Nice try.

Technically, if the OPs state ID card is not New Jersey then he can buy out of state.

Even if you found someone willing to sell you a long gun in another state, without the NJ FID you'd be committing a felony. Getting your FID isn't terrible. The worst part is likely having to wait past the legally-allowed 30 day limit and wondering if they found something that disqualifies you. I find that writing a respectful letter to your chief of police usually helps if you're stuck in limbo.

5 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

No, other states are required to follow NJ Firearm laws(because you are a resident here). PA will still require your NJ paperwork and send that information to NJ state when necessary. They will still do the NICS (or, in PA, PICS) check and all that fun stuff.
NJ isnt THAT difficult, people just seem to think it is and therefore people seem to be afraid to get into the sport. I was the same way, once you learn what is and isn't Kosher its somewhat easy to navigate around all of the BS Legislature.

Long story short, you COULD buy a Rifle  in another state, but it won't be any easier, plus, those dealers may not have NJ-legal firearms. I'd hope they'd know better but if they sold you an AR15 with, say, a 30rd magazine or with a muzzle device (Flash hider, brake, etc) that is illegal (Flash hiders in general are a no-go), or not pinned, that can be an issue.

my understanding....if you buy a pistol out of state.......it must be shipped to a nj ffl who will then run nics and will require the normal paperwork. this happens regardless if it's a private sale or a ffl selling it to you. long guns, you can purchase out of state and bring home with you providing you pass the nics checks.

22 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

my understanding....if you buy a pistol out of state.......it must be shipped to a nj ffl who will then run nics and will require the normal paperwork. this happens regardless if it's a private sale or a ffl selling it to you. long guns, you can purchase out of state and bring home with you providing you pass the nics checks.

Yes, correct. I was a bit vague with my response, and only mentioned long guns. Pistols MUST be transferred in NJ, and the transfer fee added on to cheaper PA prices makes handguns the same price so no point in that. You could always buy online and pay for a transfer at a local FFL, generally around 40-50$ out the door.

Regardless, you need NJ paperwork first.

35 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i suspect he's trying to figure a way to game the game.........

As per his other post, he's completely unfamiliar with the whole process here in NJ. Probably just had an AHA moment and thought he could get around the whole PITA NJ process. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Gotta hurry up and wait before we could have real fun LOL

6 hours ago, slickskin said:

I'm a resident of NJ. I understand NJ has ridiculously heavy restrictions and is only one of three states to require a permit to purchase a long gun. I'm wondering if it would be easier to just drive to PA and buy a gun there where it's less regulated? Would they sell to someone out of state? Would I get in trouble if I was caught with it here.

I want to get into guns and shooting for hobby and sport, maybe join a shooting range or take basic classes, nothing nefarious. But I know NJ legislature doesn't have much respect for the 2nd amendment. 

What do you mean "less regulated" ? Can you elaborate on that one ? 

34 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

Probably means as far as general 2A laws go.. As stated in his other post, he is uneducated on the matter and is looking to learn and get his FID. Most of us younger guys getting into the sport are extremely intimidated by it because of the shit we hear as far as the system goes in NJ. I remember hearing crap about how ammo has to be locked in a safe separate from the firearms and all sorts of fun stuff.. don't even remember from where, but the misinformation and what not is amazing if you don't have someone pointing you in the right direction. NJ's laws do a great job of that..

I wanted to do it for like 2 years before i pulled the trigger (hehe) and applied for my FID/P2P's, and that's only because a good friend of mine did it so i figured hey, why not. Its extremely hard when you don't know someone personally in NJ who knows the ins and outs and what not. I bet if my friend didn't get his FID i'd have never gotten mine. Outreach to younger folks is severely lacking in NJ. Nowadays firearms are demonized left and right and we aren't exposed to it like we once were through school shooting programs, etc.. Only times i held a gun before getting my own was my Uncles when i was a kid in Israel, and my friends when he was showing me the basics before my FID finally came through..

He likely thought he could get around the FID/permitting processes and what not in NJ by purchasing out of state. I Shot him a PM earlier to hopefully point him in the right direction. If he isnt too far maybe i'll meet up with em' in person and assist with filling out the paperwork and what not.. No need to overthink things here folks.

11 minutes ago, BobA said:

This smells bad and we shouldn’t engage. 

Fight it with facts.

no interstate face to face long gun purchases. Has to go through licensed dealer( ffl) Federal law

Zero interstate hand gun purchases. Has to go through a residents state FFL. Federal law

no loopholes. Unless you are a criminal 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

See his other post in the introductions sub-forum. Guy just doesn't know, i doubt its Murphy in disguise tryna take our guuuns!! MURIKAH!

It’s intentional difficult by design. It’s designed to dissuade .I have walked a few through the process. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

It’s intentional difficult by design. It’s designed to dissuade .I have walked a few through the process. 

Yep, i said that earlier in the thread. From when i started contemplating it until i actually applied was like a solid 2 years.. and as previously stated, i only did so because a buddy of mine got his and sort of walked me through it. Hell, i didn't even know AR's were Legal in NJ until i really looked into it. Lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carl_g said:

With out an FID as a New Jersey resident, you won't be able to buy a long gun in PA. Nice try.

Well alright then, that's why I asked! lol Yes, I'm totally new so forgive me if it's a dumb question. I appreciate how informative and helpful everyone here is.

2 hours ago, jackandjill said:

Well I understand most other states don't require this FID or a permit at all to buy a simple long gun, or even handguns, so I think that's stupid that NJ does probably thanks to too many democrats.

Well I understand most other states don't require this FID or a permit at all to buy a simple long gun, or even handguns, so I think that's stupid that NJ does probably thanks to too many democrats.
That is correct, but they do require a driver's license or other form of state issued ID in order to run a NICS check.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just now, GRIZ said:

I don't know.  Using the answers given what can anyone be charged with? Conspiring to obey the law?

Charged?  Nothing.  My reaction was because I really don't want to see this forum or others like it labeled as an evil place like they do the gun shows.  But Zeke is correct (!) in the way to deal with it.  Sorry for over reaction but in this climate, who can blame me?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slickskin said:

Its not that other states regulate "less", its NJ tries to regulate MORE for no apparent benefit other than infringing on people's 2A right.  For me, that distinction is important to understand and articulate. 

FFL in every state runs background checks through FBI NICS in one form or the other, required by federal law. 

As others have already repeated multiple times, a law abiding citizen, by definition, follows law (including State law). There are no short cuts or loopholes to be taken advantage by a law abiding citizen like you and rest of us. 

To your original question, see the text and link below. NJ requires one obtain FPID card, so you must obtain one for the long gun purchase / transfer to be legal in NJ (inheritance exception aside). 

• Long guns can be purchased and transferred to a resident of any state in any state provided that the transfer is legal in both the purchaser’s state and the state in which the transfer is taking place

https://www.cabelas.com/assets/product_files/pdf/federal_state_firearms_regs_online.pdf

just to clarify.....everyone's calling it an FID. this is incorrect. that would mean that we need that FID simply to possess our firearms. it is an FPID. it is only necessary to have it to purchase a firearm, pistol ammo, or to possess outside of the exceptions/exemptions. it is a totally unconstitutional/illegal scheme, that we've been saddled with since what? the 80's?

• Like 1